Givi top Case confusion on 05'

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenham

Reaction score
I have searched, read and I still come away with more questions than answers for mounting options for my Givi V46 Top case.

I got a great deal on this case with light kit and backrest from a local craigslister for $100. It came with the universal mounting plate.

I have gathered there are 3 options to mount the case.

1. Mount to the universal plate to the factory rack (not recommended by most)

2. Buy the expensive Givi SR346. Much more supportive mounting system that replaces the factory rack

3. Buy the Sub Frame stiffening kit from forum member Gary

questions about the options.

1. No questions. Won't be doing this

2. Is there a better mounting plate needed rather than the universal?

3. Does Gary's kit maintain the stock look? Is a different mounting plate needed/desired?

I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks again

Mike

I just did this on my '05 and honestly, I hadn't really considered anything other than the Givi SR346 rack and adapter plate... but I'll admit I'm probably not fully aware of the alternatives.

Anyway, the SR346 is very solid and fit with little fuss; got it from Twisted Throttle for $125 (Scratch n Dent return item). The OP got a heckuva deal for his case at $100. I paid over twice that for a relatively new V46 with back pad, top rack and matching blue shell.... but no light kit! I still saved $$ over buying all of it new for sure. Oh, I also "pinned" it for a little extra security.

Regards,

Brendan

Not sure about the SR 346 but the SR 357 is NOT compatible with a Corbin Smuggler.

If you plan to fit a Smuggler at any time in the future you might want to consider Gary's option.

#3: I have Gary's kit and you cannot tell from looking at the bike. You need to remove the rear seat and peek inside to see it.