Glove Box Power Supply Always Hot?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxxer06

Reaction score
Is the power supply in the glove box always hot? Or do you have to have the key on to charge my phone while in a campground?
Thank you
DEAN

Key on - at least for a Gen II

Don't know about 2013+ but suspect it is the same.

Edit: Although I have an unswitched outlet on my bike, I generally use a portable lithium ion battery pack to keep electronics charged - tablet, phone, camera, Bluetooth speakers, camp light etc. Advisable if you are doing a couple of days of camping without riding to recharge battery. You can get a small battery that can handle a couple of cell phone charges or go with a larger one that comes with booster cables (and capable of starting your motorcycle). These are about the size of a largish paperback and can get you going in case of a battery failure or something as dumb as leaving your ignition on by accident. These also have capacity for multiple recharges of any of your normal electronics. With an inverter, it can also power a 110V AC device for a short time if current requirements aren't too high.

I have a couple of the lower capacity packs (deck of cards size) but am buying a large capacity lithium ion "booster pack" unit this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely keyed with the ignition. And only a 3 amp fuse (Yamaha specify up to 2.5 amp load).

Yeah - I bought a charger like this one for camping tours.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-External-Battery-USB-Charger-Backup-Power-Bank-for-Mobile-Cell-Phone-/271862697070?hash=item3f4c478c6e:g:BjUAAOSw44BYYycC

I can charge the brick while I ride all day, and then run off the brick at night if necessary.
I was editing my post while you were writing yours. The small units are good for phones but I like the thought of the added security of a higher power unit. Around $100 or a bit more, depending on what you want.

Example, although I haven't looked closely in recent months. No doubt better and cheaper are available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rugged-Geek-RG1000-Safety-NEW-1000A-Portable-Lithium-Booster-Pack-Jump-Star-/322406636428?hash=item4b10eedb8c:g:KA4AAOSwopRYjlBz&item=322406636428&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:
is it possible on a gen1 have the socket powered only with the key on?

now is wired direcly to the battery and I don't like a lot

If you go with a rescue charger make sure the output on the USB is greater than 2.1 amps. That will make your phone charging faster and your larger devices like ipads won't throw a fit and say "not and approved accessory" or "not charging".

There are a million of these out there. Hard to tell from the descriptions, specifications or pricing which of them is any good. I would go for one that at least specifies both cranking amps and capacity (mAh). Minimum 8,000 mAh and 200 A CCA would be OK but I might go for higher capacity. You pay your money and take your chances - the best you can do is get one that is sold by a reputable seller and with good product reviews.

is it possible on a gen1 have the socket powered only with the key on?now is wired direcly to the battery and I don't like a lot
If the socket is wired to be hot all of the time, it would be a simple matter to hook it up via a relay that is switched with something activated by the ignition switch. (i.e. side marker light, tail light etc.). You could trigger it with the headlight circuit but it would not come on until the engine was started.

A little off topic but the left pocket where the socket is also gets quite warm as well after a ride. Anything with a low melting point may give you a surprise . i.e. a chocolate bar ( Don't ask how I know )