Glove recommendtion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Held Phantoms arrived today and I feel that the sizing recommendation was spot on. I gave the sales guys my measurements from the sizing instructions on the website and since I was kind of between sizes, they suggested that since kangaroo stretches some with use, to order the smaller size (9.5 versus 10). They fit snugly, but I think that the next half size would have been a tad too loose and then become even bigger after wearing in. I'll try them out tomorrow. They aren't as large as I feared they might be, and should fit either under or over jacket cuffs. Very nice! Pix tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if he really stands behind his satisfaction guarantee, it might be worth giving them a try.
Yeah, I E-mailed Wayne to let him reply to the - review. He basically said he's a crackpot, and refuses to sell him any more produducts. But just like any other glove it does take alittle breaking in. They really are a great glove and worth giving a shot.

Several view of the Held Phantom in black (and grey). I left them on for about an hour last night and already feel them conforming to my hands. Nice!

HeldPhantomsss.jpg

HeldPhantomsgripss.jpg

HeldPhantomtopviewss.jpg

HeldPhantomfistss.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did about 350 miles with the Held Phantoms this weekend and figure that with another 500 miles or so of breakin, they should be fine. I must have a little fatter fingers than most, so for the first couple of hundred miles they were a bit tight, but I think they will work out fine. I'll report back after another 2000 miles or so in early April to give my impressions on final breakin.

I received a pair of the Cycleport Kevlar Racing gloves yesterday. I rode the 80 miles to work with them on this morning, and here are a few first impressions. First off, when I fax the outline of my hand in, they called and said they couldn't read it, but walked me through their sizing process. I told them I needed a size large, but the gloves that arrived yesterday are a medium. That said, if the mediums stretch out even just a little bit, they will be the perfect size. I think the fingers on a large size would have been too long, so time will tell on the sizing issue.

The ride in this morning was in temps ranging from 47 to 55 degrees. I have the hand guards on the bike, so my hands were not exposed to the wind completely, but when I did put my hand in the wind you could really feel the air moving through the glove. Even with the hand guards, by the time I got off of the bike after 80 miles almost all at highway speeds, my hands were starting to get a little cold. Nothing I would stop riding for, but not the most comfortable either. So I would say in temps from 55 degrees on up these will work for me.

The material bunches a little bit in the palm of the glove when gripping the handlebars, but again I am wondering how much this might change as the gloves break in. I have only noticed this with my right hand, and the overall fit of the glove on my left hand is better. I know my right hand is slightly larger than my left, which is why I am hoping the gloves will stretch just a little bit ,and then the fit will be very good.

The quality of the gloves looks excellent, and I am really hoping that i have found a pair of gloves I can keep for more than a season or two.

I will post up some more once I have had the gloves for a few thousand miles, which should be in a bout a month or less.

I did about 350 miles with the Held Phantoms this weekend and figure that with another 500 miles or so of breakin, they should be fine. I must have a little fatter fingers than most, so for the first couple of hundred miles they were a bit tight, but I think they will work out fine. I'll report back after another 2000 miles or so in early April to give my impressions on final breakin.
Report back after an additional 5000 miles with the Held Phantoms. Since they were a bit tight when I received them, it's taken about this long to break them in. They are a little looser now, and more comfortable than the first 1000 miles. No problems with stitching, the grey kangaroo palm has discolored from contact with my black grips, but other than that, I'm satisfied. The next larger half size would be needed if I planned to use thin glove liners, but they are just about right (after 5000 miles of breakin) having used the on line sizing tool. I'll report back in another 5000 miles. :biggrinsmiley:

It has been a month since I received my Cycleport Kevlar Racing gloves, and I am very happy to report that the gloves get better every single time I use them. They were tight at first, but have stretched out a little bit, and now are the PERFECT fit for my hands. I have ridden through some decent rain with them on, and they work well, and dry out like they are brand new.

A few things to note. I do think the gauntlet on the gloves is a little short, and much to small for most people. I have the curse of having average to large size hands, but very small wrists. Because of this, I am able to put the gauntlet of these gloves over the sleeves of my Stich when it is cooler out, or I can cinch the gauntlets all the way down, and put them inside of the Stich sleeves for when it is warmer out. People with "normal" size wrist might not be able to do this.

The gloves are good for temp ranges from the mid to upper 40's, up to the mid 90's; which is exactly what I was looking for.

I do find the textured patches on the gloves a little difficult when it comes to turning dials or making other adjustments, since they do not give as much grip on plastic as leather does.

These are still not the "Perfect Glove" but they are certainly the best I have found so far, and I look forward to seeing how long they last. All the leather gloves I have had in the past start to fall apart after a season or two of riding in all weather conditions. The wet really kills the leather gloves, so I am hopeful these gloves will stand the test.

Overall, I would give them a 8.5 to a 9.0 out of 10 so far, BUT that is because they fit my odd hand and wrist size combination.

Hands are generally the first thing you will want to put down if you fall. Buy the best accident protection, comfort, weather protection and style in that order.

I bought a pair of Cortech Vise Gloves. Hard molded plastic on the knuckles, leather gloves with pads. Pretty comfortable in the summer. The big plus I found was that the pads on the palms are in the right place to keep my throttle hand form going numb. I also have a pair of the same, but the winter version with the gauntlet and I absolutely love them. I've been out at 28 degrees and my hands were fine. I got mine for under 100 bucks. Good luck.