Going to buy an FJR - Looking for advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swebb

Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a used FJR in the next few weeks and have a question for current owners.

Are there any reasons not to to consider bikes with higher mileage?

By 'higher mileage' I mean over 30K miles.

Is a clean example with 30K miles much less desirable than a similar bike with 10K miles?

What if the higher mileage bike is substantially (<$1K) cheaper?

Appreciate any feed-back.

Thanks,

Steve

SoCal

30k? Barely broken in.

There are many FJR's here with over 50k and no reported problems. Some (including Skooter) have over 100k with no major problems to report.

Awww take it easy on him Skooter...maybe he can't run 11,000 miles in 11 days like you can...but its a fair question...

If you are not looking to resell the bike....these bikes will go 100k miles in a flash if you ride that way. I'm only at 40k because I don't commute on it and have winter season riding difficulties here in the upper midwest. However, I don't expect to let go of this bike until it dies on me or I die on it. I love this bike and expect to ride way over 100k on it. If I get a new bike after this one...it will be an FJR unless they have gotten portly in the meantime.

If yer gonna ride it alot, 30k is nothing if it has been kept up okay. If yer gonna resell it later...yer gonna have to make that call between the two bikes on yer own.

Also, if the bike has YES extended service plan then your good to go for everything but normal wear items such as brakes etc.

My bike has over 47k on it & it runs great.

Appreciate the replys.

I'll hopefully be an FJR owner is the very near future.

Thanks again.

Steve

SoCal

Steve,

there is only one caveat. if you have to choose between a 2003 or a 2004 choose the 04. I have an 04 and a friend has an 03. the 03 allows a bit more heat our around your shins than the 04's do. This may make a difference if your not wearing riding pants (not jeans I mean leathers or textile motorcycle clothing made of material similar to what a jacket would be made of). This will only matter at high heat slow traffic riding times. As I see it the 2003 really does not make 'that much more' heat. Prior to the FJR I had a 2000 Concours and it was never know as a high heat ride. Back when I would ride with shorts I had to stop and put on jeans as my legs were on fire on that bike on an over 100 degree day. My point is any engine will make heat enough to be uncomfortable on a really hot day.

Don't worry about the 30K mileage. I've but more miles on in one year (and I live in Michigan). Buy, ride, smile. :rolleyes:

I've owned an 03 and an 06 AE and can advise you that an 06 or newer would be your best bet because of the heat issues. If it was cared for mileage should not be much of an issue but heat will still be there long after the price is forgotten. RIDE SAFE