Going to get a Aerostich what do you

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n7myr

Reaction score
I have decided to spring for a new suit. I have gone back and forth if I want the suit or jacket and pants. I have almost made up my mind that the suit is the way I want to go. I want to order the hip pads but am not sure what to think of the back brace. I wonder if it would feel ok while on my fjr but then if I were on my ZX10 and bent over more would it not feel good? I guess it is something that could be removed easy but if I would not use it then why spend the $$$ for it

just would like thought from those that have already been down this road

thanks Don

I have decided to spring for a new suit. I have gone back and forth if I want the suit or jacket and pants. I have almost made up my mind that the suit is the way I want to go. I want to order the hip pads but am not sure what to think of the back brace. I wonder if it would feel ok while on my fjr but then if I were on my ZX10 and bent over more would it not feel good? I guess it is something that could be removed easy but if I would not use it then why spend the $$$ for it

thanks Don
Don,

Good to see you take ATGATT seriously.

I have a one piece stitch, and I use the optional back protection. If I may suggest, contact Sally at the Riderwearhouse, and have her custom fit the suit to you - odds are that an 'off the rack' suit won't fit. If you're spending $$$, it may as well fit properly !!

I've used my suit over 10K miles now, and I don't even notice the back brace. That's how well it fits. The back protection velcro's into the suit, and can be easily removed if you want to run unprotected. However, I can tell you that when I ride, I will stop and stretch out (usually during a fuel stop) and I can't even tell it's there when I'm stretching.

Just my .02 worth.

121613354-L.jpg

Hal

I've had my Aerostitch for a full year now and wear it commuting every day. I finally, just a month ago or so, got the hip pads and back protector. Before that I would wear a separate turtle-shell-style back protector; but that was just another piece of equipment I had to put on every morning and evening.

There are two back protector options available, as shown on this link: I got the $60 model. Suit Accessories

The back protector I bought is a very rigid, thick rubber(?), and it certainly looks like it'll do the trick in the event of an accident. Along with the hip protectors, which seem to hinder access to your pants pockets (not a big deal for me), the back protector does tighten up the suit, making the zipper a little snugger closing, particularly in the winter when wearing a 'lectric vest and sweatshirt. Photo of installation, below.

349164613_134b14e523.jpg

The biggest issue I had with the back protector, which I believe I've solved, is that I had to adjust its positioning up or down the spine of the suit (using the factory velcro tabs) so that it would not rise too far up the base of my neck and give the a feeling of restriction in tilting my head--I felt like my head was being pinned forward. I'm not even positive the protector caused that feeling. I think it might have been principally caused by the thick stand-up collar on the Aerostitch. I finally just got a huge safety pin and pinned the collar all the way back off my neck (photo).

349164609_dfca06a2e5.jpg

Also see this recent thread: Aerostitch Thread As note there, I am very pleased with my 'Stitch, including the hip and back protectors. Two thumbs up.

Jb

Just got an Aerostich, with the back and hip pads. Don't even notice them after I have the suite on for more than 2 minutes. I started a thread a few weeks ago about what is the best back protection for under a Aerostich suite. Try doing a search for it if you want. The general consensus is that the $60 back pad from Aerostich works well, and is the most convenient, but there are others that will provide greater protection.

thanks Don
I don't notice the stitch back protection bent over the XX. For a bit more money much better back protection can be purchased.

I never could get used to the hip pads in mine but the back protector stays in all the time.

thanks Don

Get a good back protector and ride safely. I have the $60 stitch one and it's comfy. Greatest source of discomfort on the suit is hot weather--not the armor.

I've had the same 'stitch since '96.

It's got all the pads and the back protector.

Totally comfortable over 100,000 miles.

(commuting, haulin A, or Touring)

Some 'Stitch wearers buy the Bohn or other articulated armor that probably does offer more protection. The 'Stitch version is a compromise that gives some extra and relatively comfortable protection, but probably not the ultimate.

https://www.actionstation.com/

Go to Back Protectors pix at top, click and then scroll down to 'Stitch version of their back protector.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always ride with a back protector. I tried the Aerostich back protector and found it to be very bulky. If you're buying a 'stich, be sure to order the back protector at the same time as the suit so you can try them on together instead of trying to buy it later. They are too bulky IMO.

I made my own back protector (same outline as the 'stich) out of ripstop material and some First Gear pads that I replaced with hard shell pads in my Meshtex gear.

BTW...I love my Aerostich suit. I'm actually disappointed when the temp gets above 70F because I don't get to wear my 'stich. I don't wear it except in the cooler weather. I forgot how much I paid for it.

I've been riding with the back protector and hip pads early 2005 and love the feeling. I had a slow/moderate speed low side at WFO last summer and landed square on the left hip pad and left lateral knee. The suit suffered no damage and better yet, neither did I. Not a bruise on me. The hip and back protector are worth the cost (there's a lot of truth to this statement).

With the hip pads in the suit, I only attach the top contact points. This allows easy access to my pockets still and the pads have never slipped out of place on me unless I forget to zip the hip zippers shut. Why would you want to get into your pants pockets anyway? This suit has enough damn pockets for all your little trinkets.

Worldbound4now

A happy one piece roadcrafter owner.

Some 'Stitch wearers buy the Bohn or other articulated armor that probably does offer more protection. The 'Stitch version is a compromise that gives some extra and relatively comfortable protection, but probably not the ultimate.
https://www.actionstation.com/

Go to Back Protectors pix at top, click and then scroll down to 'Stitch version of their back protector.

SKIP this puppy.... Seriously...

It's big and bulky, and doesn't work well w/ the suit...

Either

a) Get the back protector from Aerostich

' B) Buy one that you wear independent from the suit if you need more protection.

-bvw.

thanks Don
I had a one Piece w/ back protector that only came out for washing. Used it for 120K, then got a 2 piece. The back protector is sure comfortable when sleeping in the Iron Butt Motel :boredom: :lazy:

thanks Don
I'd go with aerostich's back protector. I use a Bohn version in my Darien - and I must say that I don't use it because it is a nuisance. I will use it on extended trips, but the stich must have shrunk because it is a little tight now. The Bohn will attach to the suit - using it's own velcro - HOWEVER.... that velcro will eventually eat through the goretex liner (bad thing).

If i was to do it again - I would forgo the bohn and use a stich. The one think I do like about the bohn is that it has straps that go around your waist and add a bit to the comfort ( a little like wearing a kidney belt), but that same advantage is a disadvantage in that it is cumbersome. I usually don't use the waist strap and just fasten in sort of backwards. Doesn't hold the position as well and is less comfortable, but more convenient.

The back protector is sure comfortable when sleeping in the Iron Butt Motel :boredom: :lazy:
I never sleep at the IBM without my stich back protector. ATTGATT :lol:

I have the two piece. When I was considering a one vs. two piece I heard the one piece is more susceptible to the dreaded crotch leak. Water can pool in that area and seep though the zipper. With the two piece this is much less likely to occur. If you get a chance to try both on and sit on the bike in the showroom you can see how differently the two suits bunch up in that area.

FWIW, I've never had any leaks whatsoever with my suit. And I've ridden in some pretty heavy rains for extended periods of time.

Derek

If you get a chance to try both on and sit on the bike in the showroom you can see how differently the two suits bunch up in that area. Derek
Note:

Derek sucks... Cause he can run over to Aerostich for his lunch hour.. :clapping:

-bvw.

I had a one Piece ... Used it for 120K, then got a 2 piece. ....

Why did you switch to a 2 piece?
The main reason is more versatile layering. On the road, I don't have to carry another outer layer for off the bike wear.

And, taking a crap in a truck stop is a challenge in a one piece. No, it's a

[SIZE=36pt]PITA[/SIZE]