Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for the collective. I have a Gmax that I took off of my 05 that's been sitting in the garage for 8 years now. I am going to go back to a CT for some long trips this summer. Would you use a new 10 year old tire or just start over.
A new car tire is pretty cheap.

What the two fart smellers above me said. 10 years old is pushing it, even for a total cheapwad like me. And car tires are not expensive. Riken Raptor for under $100 for crying out loud!

Yikes! According to Discount Tire, the Riken Raptor has been discontinued. Get one while you can. I just ordered one even though I don't currently need one.

Riken Raptor at Tire Rack

Edit: Fixed link.

Last edited:
What the two fart smellers above me said. 10 years old is pushing it, even for a total cheapwad like me. And car tires are not expensive. Riken Raptor for under $100 for crying out loud!

Yikes! According to Discount Tire, the Riken Raptor has been discontinued. Get one while you can. I just ordered one even though I don't currently need one.

Riken Raptor at Tire Rack
Well crap. I guess I better order a spare.

Thanks for the input. I had pretty much decided against using the Gmax. Will probably order a Riken Raptor tomorrow.
I used 3 different CTs. IMHO the GMAX did great on pavement, not so much on dirt. The Exalto did better on dirt but not as good on pavement. The Raptor, for my money, is the best all-round of the 3. Order the Raptor, seriously, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks Skooter, I have been thinking about going to the Darkside and should probably order a Raptor. Hopefully see you in September.

Riken Raptor is probably the best handling car tire I have run out of the many I've tried. I don't know what life expectancy is yet. I have two mounted on different FJRs, but both only have about 12k miles on them.

The 'old' General G-Max was the longest lasting care tire I had. 42k miles. The newer model G-Max RS I posted about previously was disappointing. Handled fine, but I only got 21,600 miles out of it and it was *well* past the wear bars when I replaced it. And it was about $150, so 50% more than the Riken Raptor.

IIRC, Brodie is getting big miles, approximately 40k or so, out of the BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S. One of these days I will have to give one a try.