Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

rbentnail

Economic Plankton
Reaction score
Go to the Darkside FAQ thread. Look down the list of people doing it. #90 lists the front tire used. I think odot used that one too.

rbentnail

Economic Plankton
Reaction score
Riken Raptor is what I run on my bike. Great all around tire and excellent in the rain.
Of the 3 I tried- General G-Max AS-03, Michelin Exalto and Riken Raptor- I think the Raptor was the best all-round of the 3. I base that on my interstate, US Hwy, twisty and improved National Forest unpaved roads. The AS-03 was and the Raptor is awe inspiring in the wet. Amazing grip!!

I've got a used one if anyone wants it, pay for shipping. I'll measure the tread if you want.

Reaction score
New to the FJR world but not to the Darkside: Love the thread here. After the 1st 25 pages I skipped to the end and started reading backwards 10 pages at a time. Currently @ 140 something. Have read the FAQ thread. Thanks to all for hanging in there and pioneering this in the FJR community. So glad no one succumbed to the nay sayers.

Awaiting the MC tire to wear out then will probably install the Raptor but this caught my attention: https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Kumho/Solus+TA71/205-50R17
Thoughts?

Plan on installing a Bridgestone Pneu Battlax BT46 Blackwall Size 130/70-17 on the front. I have reversed rotation of back tires before but read somewhere that some think this is no longer necessary?

Again Awesome job here everyone!

Oldjeep

Reaction score
New to the FJR world but not to the Darkside: Love the thread here. After the 1st 25 pages I skipped to the end and started reading backwards 10 pages at a time. Currently @ 140 something. Have read the FAQ thread. Thanks to all for hanging in there and pioneering this in the FJR community. So glad no one succumbed to the nay sayers.

Awaiting the MC tire to wear out then will probably install the Raptor but this caught my attention: https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Kumho/Solus+TA71/205-50R17
Thoughts?

Plan on installing a Bridgestone Pneu Battlax BT46 Blackwall Size 130/70-17 on the front. I have reversed rotation of back tires before but read somewhere that some think this is no longer necessary?

Again Awesome job here everyone!
My only thought on that tire is that I personally would not run a tire with an asymmetrical tread. Seems like it would turn left and right differently.
1659621630861.png

Oldjeep

Reaction score
That was my thought to until I read in this thread that it has been a non issue.
I just don't buy that the tire tread blocks being square on one side and round on the other doesn't cause goofy handling.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
I just don't buy that the tire tread blocks being square on one side and round on the other doesn't cause goofy handling.
I used several ct's on my gold wing that had asymmetrical tread and made no difference in handling. As with all ct's it's usually just the uneven road surface slow speed handling that makes you remember it's a ct back there.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
I have a Riken Raptor on one of my FJRs with 10k or so miles on it. Love it. I recently installed a General G-Max RS on another of my FJRs and have about 8k miles on it. It is a bit more pricey than the Riken, but has a better tread life rating. So far, so good with the G-Max. I haven't ridden them back to back but so far no I haven't been able to tell any major differences between them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=05WR7GMRSXL&tab=Sizes

It's funny, I still get weird looks and people making comments about it not working. I just say, 'Well, I've ridden over 150k miles with various car tires and it's working pretty darn good for me.'

Latest posts