Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh never mind. I think I'll save my breath for something realistic. There is no use trying to put facts into a closed mind.

imagine y'all might be using sticky car tires too....
No, that's just your imagination. Just like on cars, those wear out too fast. The vast majority of CTs on FJRs are all season versions. The reason is simple, you don't want things changing dramatically when it gets cold or wet. Sticky summer performance tires have a tendency to get hard and provide much different traction in the wet or cold.

I have had several great summer tires on my previous 300 rwhp Miata that turned into scary understeering crap when the rains came. That would be even more dangerous on a bike. There is a segment of Darksiders in the cruiser market that like to run snow tires, in part because of the tread designs, in part because they perceive them to be 'stickier'. But they don't have the performance envelope we have with the FJR.

If you're going to keep poking this thread, you might want to go read the FAQ.

fact is I'm about as likely to put a CT on a bike as I am to put PR2s on my SRT8 Charger.. but that's just me.....one man's meat is another man's poison. just to be clear I have zero problem with a CT on a bike...zilch.. I have even considered it for a possible trip to Prudhoe..now if one could be put on the front...

fact is I'm about as likely to put a CT on a bike as I am to put PR2s on my SRT8 Charger.. but that's just me.....one man's meat is another man's poison. just to be clear I have zero problem with a CT on a bike...zilch.. I have even considered it for a possible trip to Prudhoe..now if one could be put on the front...
Sounds like you don't know what you want. Your ignorance is appalling though. Please go play in some other thread. This thread is for people that want to learn more about using a CT on a motorcycle and read about other's actual, first hand, experiences.

You think you're poking fun at us, but every time you attempt to, it only points out another thing you have no experience with. Lots of people run car tires on the front of motorcycles. With side car rigs that's a real benefit, both in handing and in wear. The"Double Darkside" is running a CT in the rear and a rear tire, mounted in reverse rotation, on the front. Its quite common among the GL1800 crowd.

reading comprehension is obviously not your strong point...don't know smaller words to express that I don't want a CT on my bike...get it yet?

I read this thread because it is interesting-did you catch where I said that I had considered it? I am appalled that you missed that too...

I am not poking fun at you...I said that I am fine with someone putting a CT on their bike if they so desire, missed that too?...I really don't give a flying fuck if they have a CT on their bike and a beer coaster in their lip.. Don't need to hear any more whiny gash pissing and moaning so.....I'll go play on another thread now.
headbonk.gif

Uncle Hud,

It was just about 4 years ago that I defected to the darkside. My opinion: I'd just bought the most incredible motorcycle on the planet. I was still in shock that it could do so many things so well. That's when I started noticing: all this horsepower is sho' makin' short work of my Metzler. I commented on it later on when I got brave enough to start posting on this thread. Seemed like the flat stripe in the center of the tire was growing wider way too quickly. I began feeling like every time I twisted the throttle I was shredding precious rubber off a rather expensive rear tire. I was even beginning to baby the throttle because of that. But as I got to reading the dark side thread, I was wondering if this might be the answer I was looking for. I was an FJR rookie, and knew even less about things like tires. I realized this was controversial, so I was busy reading everything I could on the forum. That's when I made the decision on page 92 (CLICKY)

In the days leading up to that decision, we were on something like page 85 or so. There was some great info being generated. For example, some of you may remember this link form page 85 CLICKY HERE. And from that same link, I'd like to quote these words:

"And finally...a snippet from a recent email exchange...

Him: "You know you're a test pilot don't you?"
Me: "Yes. Yes I do."
Him: "That doesn't bother you?"
Me: "No, not at all. I've got news for you. I LIKE being a test pilot."
Him: "But...anything could happen."
Me: "Actually, I'm counting on that. It's why I ride."

Anything could happen. I'll see you on the road...

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
"

After reading that article and spending many hours reading the darkside thread, I became darksider #44. And 38,000 miles later, I'm still riding on that same tire. It's been up and down the Tail of the Dragon dozens of times. It took me to Pike's Peak at 14,100 feet and across the deserts of California at near triple digit speeds. It's been through driving rain (baptized during Tropical storm Debbie) as well as freezing temps. It's not had an easy life. It sports the scars of many potholes and slamming into junk on the road. It still carries two plugs (so far) thanks to an appetite for drywall screws. And through all that, it's never caused me a moment's worry. Ha... for whatever reason, it even seems to REFUSE to lose any air. Can't remember the last time I put air in it; which is more than I can say for the PR2 on the front that always seems to be needing a little more air.

And just like I said many moons ago, when I finally wear it out, I plan to put another one on. As a matter of fact, is stored away in the back room waiting to get drafted into service... if I can ever wear out my Exalto.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to believe that going to the dark side is safe until this thread reaches 200 pages of information supporting that conclusion. One cannot be too safe, ya know.

Uncle Hud,
<snipped, 'cause you can read it above ...>

Gary

darksider #44
Fear not, O Great Darksider, I have read this thread stem to stern at least twice. As you stated, this badass bike needs to be ridden, and the FJR has opened up the 'touring' aspect of motorcycling for me, far beyond what the Vstar 950 could do.

That leads to a realization that most of my miles will involve freeways or large multi-lane highways. For example, EOM is 975 miles round trip. If I rode 500 miles of twisties while there -- a stretch? I don't know -- I'd still have done ⅔ of the total miles on interstate highways. Ride fewer miles on twisties and the ratio quickly climbs above 70%. (And forget about taking backroads on a 1,000-mile trip; I ain't got that kind of time.)

So, if most miles are with the bike vertical, why not buy tires to suit that mission? Provided, of course, the CT doesn't eliminate the 'sport' aspects of the FJR -- and there's ample evidence to say it doesn't.

There's a good bit of tread remaining on the OEM Bridgestones, but I'll soon be looking around for a shop to mount an Exalto and a flat brake bar that fits a 2015.

Shopping for a brake bar:

1. Walk into hardware store: buy 1/8 x 3/4 x 1 foot piece of steel. ( I used 3/16, but it's overkill as the bar is always asked to work in tension, not in compression). Hand the clerk 5 bucks.

2. Remove rear brake torque bar from bike... 2 bolts.

3. Trace hole locations & approximate length. Stuff drill bit into existing holes to get right size.

4. Drill holes and hacksaw length. Chamfer holes with larger drill bit to remove burrs.

5. Shove it into the bench grinder and round off ends.

6. Slap on a quick coat of paint

7. Mount it.

8. Done.

My original post here: CLICKY

Gary

darksider #44

This thread reminds me of the time I was in physio-therapy for a knee injury. I was doing my exercises when someone had the nerve to mention they were going to try a chiropractor for their back pain. WELL... the therapist went nuts! "don't you dare go there!!"they will make it worse. you'll get crippled! your balls will fall off. yadda yadda yadda. She went on and on about the dangers of seeing a chiropractor. So having had great success myself with chiropractic therapy I asked the physio - therapist if she had a bad experience with a chiropractor. "Are you kidding ...I wouldn't let them touch me." So with that, I pointed out that her opinion was useless and uninformed. She was speechless. AMEN.

My bike has 184000 kms on it. I think I was darksider 31 or there about. Ran a Potenza Grid by Bridgestone. Sticky. I put over 60000 trouble free kms. Ridden every type of road. Solo, 2 up and with a trailer. It took a little to get used too. I could take it or leave it. I've also ran a full knobby. Only 1 of 2 riders I know of. if I thought I'd get away with it I'd put carbide studs into the knobby so I could ride in the snow. But, studded tires are illegal in Ontario.

What I'm getting at is this... shut up and ride. Trying to get some to agree with your argument, whatever side you take, is futile.

Has there been any failures or problems with someone taking the original rear brake tension (caliper brace bar mount) and trimming it down to fit with CT mounted?

Apologies in advance, but I'm not in a position to read all 192 pages (a large portion of which I've read at one time or another) looking to a reference to a real problem (vs perceived).

I know the recommendation is to use a metal bar for brake tension arm (couple posts up with short version on creating your own).

However, I'm thinking of mounting my tire today and not in a position to create such a part or order one for delivery today ;^)

so I'm likely to order the metal part, but curious is that may be simply excess caution. Anyone aware of someone (yourself or other) who has run their trimmed OEM aluminum bar for 10K+ miles and no signs of stress, fractures, etc?

I do believe I've seen the OEM Bar cut in half as well as someone else had cut a chunk out of it just where the tire runs. I don't recall any problems reported down the road.

There have been no reported failures of a modified oem brake tension bar.

It's totally up to you to do what you are comfortable with.

And don't forget the FAQ

If you just cut it in half, it will probably still be strong enough. However, cutting the an ear off the H - shaped ends of the factory torque bar makes it a little more challenging when bolting it back on as shorter bolts will be required. If you simply cut out the area needed to clear the tire, I believe you'll save yourself some time and energy. I've seen it done before. I'm thinking about a 1/4"deep x about 4" long cut in just the right place where the tire might rub the arm would do the trick. You can always slap a new steel strap on there later. If ya feel better, just take it easy on the rear brake for a little while until ya can finish the job??? Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with at least a 1/8x3/4 steel strap down there. But that's not to say that a cut-down factory strap wouldn't work just fine. If I were in your shoes, I guess I'd bite the bullet and build the strap. It's actually quite easy to do.

Gary