Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, that looks even better than the storm trooper darkside sticker that was on my vstrom.

New darksider here.  Figured I should contribute to this thread instead of Facebook.  If you already saw this there, please ignore the extra post.  :)
Last week I mounted this tire. BFG G-FORCE COMP2 A/S+ 205/50ZR17
I thought I should reply with some impressions in case it helps someone else. Over the weekend I took a twisty ride up north, 120 miles each way.
• I'm really feeling the extra weight of this tire. It's HEAVY! My Pilot Road 2 was 13 pounds. This one is 23+ pounds! I wonder if it’s going to be too much for my old rear shock.
• Acceleration is noticeably slower on the highway. Rear braking requires more effort also.
• At 40 psi it was awkward to maneuver. There was a noticeable "hard edge" I had to roll over before it would lean into a turn or to pass. At 38 psi that "edge" is less apparent.
• Lots of bar effort is required to maneuver on twisty roads. Lots.
• I had to ride a mile over dirt road. This same dirt road was very slippery with a MT. Not slippery at all with the CT. Almost felt like a big dirt bike on the dirt road.

I’m not completely sold on this yet, because of the weight, but I’m going to experiment with lower pressures and see how it goes.

• At 40 psi it was awkward to maneuver. There was a noticeable "hard edge" I had to roll over before it would lean into a turn or to pass. At 38 psi that "edge" is less apparent.
You might want to go to a lower pressure...

Every tire seems to have a sweet spot for pressure.

I never used the Bridgstone but with the General G-Max and the Exalto I liked 32 psi.  The Rikken Raptor I like at 34.  Takes a little experimentation but I'd think 40 is too much.

^^^^ Agreed. 
Just like I said over on FaceBook, 31 psi cold - let the tire flex, it will handle much better. I’ve run as low as 28 before my FOBO complained. 

The issue I see with the majority in that FaceBook group is higher pressures, stiff tires, and flexible framed V-twins. Your Advanced Edition (or any FJR for that matter) really needs to flex that side wall to make that tire work it’s magic.

Also, use a little Body English when running in the twisters, it will help with throwing the bikes weight around a bit. When in the sweepers, shift your butt over to the inside of the turn; your shoulders will thank you. 

Brodie

🙂

The Rikken Raptor is the bomb.......WAY better turn in than the General G-Max I ran before it and holds the line with little countersteer needed.  Run mine at around 32psi and I am a very happy camper! 😎

This photo of Brodie's darksiding is offered to further the discussion of psi, sidewalls, body English, loads, speeds, and a question of tread design in his tire and his ass as pictured.  The man knows his stuff: check out the First Aid kit attached as a license plate holder; he makes a great argument in person as well! 
51482338832_32c6ddd2cc_o_d.jpg

^^^^ Agreed. 
Just like I said over on FaceBook, 31 psi cold - let the tire flex, it will handle much better. I’ve run as low as 28 before my FOBO complained. 

The issue I see with the majority in that FaceBook group is higher pressures, stiff tires, and flexible framed V-twins. Your Advanced Edition (or any FJR for that matter) really needs to flex that side wall to make that tire work it’s magic.

Also, use a little Body English when running in the twisters, it will help with throwing the bikes weight around a bit. When in the sweepers, shift your butt over to the inside of the turn; your shoulders will thank you. 

Brodie

🙂

I run a Bridgestone Blizzak (first) and now a Driveguard on my Gold Wing.  I run it at 29 psi cold, the FOBO says its 36-37 psi at 105 degrees riding 2 up loaded down and towing the trailer.   It handles great, the sidewalls flex, traction is great (wet or dry).  Suspension is highly modified with the Traxxion full monty (billet triple clamp, AK-20 fork cartridges, springs, and rear shock).  Whole set up works really good.

I recently got a big industrial staple in my General GForce on the sidewall right at the edge. I plugged it and it got me home from California but maintained a slow leak. So I went shopping for a new car tire. The General G-Max AS-03 is no longer available. They do have what seems to be a replacement: The General G-Max RS. But it was 30% more than the Riken Raptor so I went with the Raptor. (FYI: The new G-Max does have a better traction and wear rating than the Raptor.) The Raptor just came in and is sitting in my garage. The thing is, it looks HUGE. Much bigger than the G-Max or and old Michelin I have still around. So, my question is, did everyone who has reported getting the Riken Raptor get it in 205/50-17? I'll probably mount it tomorrow, but right now it doesn't look like it will fit.

It will fit just fine. Thought the same thing when comparing mine unmounted to the Gmax it replaced. This tire is sooooo good at 30ish psi, you won't believe it!

Good luck and report back here after you put a few miles on it.

I recently got a big industrial staple in my General GForce on the sidewall right at the edge. I plugged it and it got me home from California but maintained a slow leak. So I went shopping for a new car tire. The General G-Max AS-03 is no longer available. They do have what seems to be a replacement: The General G-Max RS. But it was 30% more than the Riken Raptor so I went with the Raptor. (FYI: The new G-Max does have a better traction and wear rating than the Raptor.) The Raptor just came in and is sitting in my garage. The thing is, it looks HUGE. Much bigger than the G-Max or and old Michelin I have still around. So, my question is, did everyone who has reported getting the Riken Raptor get it in 205/50-17? I'll probably mount it tomorrow, but right now it doesn't look like it will fit.
Raptor fits just fine, as long as you have swapped out the stock caliper anti rotation bar for a thin one.
IMG_20211023_084142_1.jpg

Should also note that it is a lot easier to get it off and on if you trim off the rear render a bit.

I'm with the others, the Raptor fits fine. Of the 3 different tires I tried- AS-03, Exalto and the Raptor- I liked the Raptor the best. For me 32-34 psi was the shiznit. You shoulda told me you were getting one. I have the Raptor take-off from my '07, I woulda sent it for shipping cost.

My apologies if this has been posted before but I thought it was well done...
Surprisingly neutral for someone who represents a company that sells motorcycle tires.

hello newbie to the FJR..I double darksided my goldwing and loved it....now I have a 2022 FJR and want to double darkside it also...what tires are you guys using? thxs

People have used a variety of tires. Michelin Exalto and General Tire GMAX AS-03 were the early favorites.
You will have to sift through this thread (and/or the Darkside FAQ thread) for more info.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/darkside-faq.124275/
Can't recall if anyone has double darksided the FJR or not. A search should help you...

Last edited:
Last darkside rear I used was Riken Raptor. On road as good as Exalto, off road better than both Exalto and General GMax AS03.

I recall one person dbl darksided but that was a long time ago.