Good Price for 06 FJR A?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayshaw91

Reaction score
Unless I'm being lied to, my dealer says they can order one and have it to me in about 6 weeks (guestimate). Anyway, I'm REALLY considering this bike. Like, so much I almost pulled the trigger last night, but wanted to think about it for a day or two.

Anyway, tomorrow morning I'm heading back to the dealer to negotiate. With a $13,500 MSRP, what do you think I can get one for out the door? Would $12,000 be insane to ask?

Again, out the door price: tax, title, etc.

Any input would be appreciated!

Jay, welcome to the fold!

FJR's are special order only, and the ordering has closed for the year, as far as I know. Yamaha has been known to re-open the PDP program, but I don' think that's gonna happen this year. Hope I'm wrong (sorta), but I sure haven't heard any re-opening for orders.

Your dealer certainly may be able to get you a bike, however. At this late stage, if you can get one even at retail, you are probably doing good. Anything less than that is just a bonus.

You can search this site and you might find an '06 already for sale, or a PDP slot that the owner wants to back out of could be "sold" to you.

Good luck with the negotiations!

Strange, because that's exactly what I expected to hear when I asked about that yesterday. Well, regardless, I'll check with him tomorrow and see what he's got to say. If I was lied to, then I won't order an '07 from them, that's for sure! =)

I'll be back to let you know if he's a filthy liar or a miracle worker. It can only be one of the two.

The following is based on my guess that you're in the US? If not, please ignore - I don't know how it works elsewhere. If you are in the US, and don't mind saying where, you'll find that locals on the board will share knowledge of floor models in nearby locals and what they're going for.

I think "order one" is dealer code for call around the local dealer network and see if one of your buddies has one on the floor. I agree with what FJRocket said - they re-opened ordering in the past, but I haven't heard about that happening this year. Heck, some folks don't have their pre-ordered bikes, yet.

I also agree that MSRP is a pretty good deal at this point in the year. There's lots of historic precedent that the dealers know you will pay whatever it takes if you want this year's model and did not pre-order. The price you are quoted will reflect that knowledge. That said, there may be a second ordering opportunity, at which point you probably can knock a little off MSRP. Then, come fall, any floor models will be reduced in price. Then, come late winter, you'll be able to order a cheap 2007.

Just try not to be too anxious. If you are, hide it. If you can't hide it, you'll pay...in dollars.

Well, $11,450 plus tax and license, (that will vary from state to state) is the lowest you are going to get. That was if you pre-ordered it. Most people are getting qouted list plus T&L for bikes that were getting sold without the pre-order.

Unless you live in a state with no sales tax, $12,000 would be way unreasonable to expect. In California I would expect to pay about $15,500 out the door.

Tom

Cool, thanks for the info everyone!

Yep, calling the dealer back today and getting the sales manager, he said it'd be really really tough to get one right now. I thought the dude yesterday had no clue.

I'm in SE Michigan, but I'll drive a few hours if I've gotta. Anyone seen one on the floor?

So, "cheap" 07 if I wait to order? Define cheap?

12k for the A, 13.5 for the AE if you ordered it... give or take a couple bucks. Not including anything but the bike. Who knows what the prices might be next year.

I'm still waiting for my AE, and going 400 miles to Cullman, AL to D&H cycle to get it.

You might call them and see if any of the 170 or so buyers wanted to back out. They might even give you the order price, but more than likely you could get dinged an extra 5 bills for an '06.

Search the website, read the posts. There's lots of info here.

Oh, and don't forget to get the extended 4 year YES warranty. D&H has that for $389. (See the FAQS)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not pre-order a bike. However, my dealer was able to get me a 06 1300A for MSRP from another dealer. It was still in the crate and I just picked it up two weeks ago. I was happy to pay retail just to get this awesome machine! I felt like the others; if you can pick one up right now for retail, get it. It is worth every penny.

Right around 12 flat out the door if you fly down to D&H in Cullman, AL.

It's common for folks to knock $1K, or more, off MSRP out the door (OTD) if they pre-order through the PDP.

As was just said - don't feel bad about MSRP for an '06. If you want one now, that's a good price. The bike compares well to the ST1300 and the K12GT, both of which cost more. I still think the review below is a pretty good comparison of the various virtues of the 3 bikes, even though two of them (FJR and K12) have changed a little since.

https://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/Model...uation03031.pdf

https://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/Model...uation03032.pdf

https://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/Model...uation03033.pdf

https://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/Model...uation03034.pdf

https://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/Model...uation03035.pdf

There are also a few good deals showing up on eBay for barely broken-in 03-05 bikes.

My own preference would be to take MSRP if I could find an 06 right now. There are some changes in the 06 that I like. Else, given that late Fall is prolly near the tail of the riding season in Michigan, I'd get in early on the 07.

I put a check in the mail to D&H on June 7 to order an A. Yesterday they called me to say mine was there waiting for me. I'll pick it up on June 21. Not bad.

They have a couple on AE's on the floor not spoken for.

I didnt pre-order my bike and I really had to shop around to find one. It took some time and I tried to be tough in the dealership and get the price down. I even offered to finance it, have them charge me whatever rate they wanted and they could make their $$ that way. I would just be paying it off anyways, so a few months of interest didnt bother me. Nothing worked, best I could get was MSRP plus all the junk it came to about $14,900 out the door. They started to throw in $ for accessories and the best I could do was $400 worth (guessing it really cost them $200) I wanted $800 worth and walked out the door thinking that it was end of the month and I would get a call. Called back the next day and someone had just bought it. Did that one other time in another dealership, walked out and it was sold out from under me again!!

1 month later still looking, and the ITCH was killing me. I found a dealer with one in stock. I threw $500 down to hold it. Now I didn't care what they wanted I was buying it. Well to my surprise I asked what the selling price was the next day $12,700 and only like $100 in junk fews. SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! I still had to bring it back to MD (from VA) and pay the taxes and tags. But I rode the bike to the MVA with a huge happy smile.

Moral of the story. . . take what you can get. Have them throw some accessories $ in if you can. But anything you pay will be worth it.

FYI- My friend found one near Hilton Head, SC. That was just 1 day ago.

When I found one, no pre-order, I paid MSRP and $400 for the 4-year warranty extention. I wrote the check and have not regretted it. OTD just confuses things... pre-tax is a better indication of what to expect to pay.

Cool, thanks for the info everyone!
Yep, calling the dealer back today and getting the sales manager, he said it'd be really really tough to get one right now. I thought the dude yesterday had no clue.

I'm in SE Michigan, but I'll drive a few hours if I've gotta. Anyone seen one on the floor?

Don't know how much of a hurry you are in, but my dealer told me he has 2 FJR's coming in in Aug. Click here

Talk to Shawn, he may have a lead on one sooner. Good luck,

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
As OhioFJR1300 hints at your dealer may only be semi-full of it. Dealers can order bikes for themselves that then go on the dealer floor. Those bikes are scheduled to be delivered in August, which could be optimistically construed as six weeks. I would expect those bikes the in August, the bags... :glare: I am assuming that dealers already have to have these orders in with the rest of the PDPs?

Well crap, skimmed the posts and missed your second one. OK, so your dealer was full of crap, if you go the PDP route there are several places about the country that will sell them out the door for 11,500.

D&H cycle in culman AL is the most noteable, a search on this sight will turn up everything you need to know (don't try google or another search engine, D&H and technology are not so compatible - you won't get much. Heck of a reputation on this list though).

I posted this yest but I guess you didn't see it:

A friend of mine came across this today:

If the fellow on your message board is still looking, I did some research.

The Alcoa Good Times Suzuki/Yamaha dealer (865) 981-4444 has 2 FJRs in stock. Both with ABS.

'05 is on sale for $12,899.00

'06 is going for $13,499.00

Knoxville TN.

I talked to Ben (sales) and he seemed to be a decent bloke to deal with.

I bought my '06 FJR1300 A from procycle in Springfield,MO. I had to order it, but they are selling theirs for $11,837.00. It took about a month to get here. The issue with the Cullman shop is the wait time. If you are still looking and don't mind a drive, check it out. I had to drive 5 hours to get it, but it was broken in when I got back home. :)

Well, well, well... checking on a brand new 'A' right now! They have two on the floor at the place I am calling. More info for ya'll after I decide on mine. Sorry for the selfish-ness, but it'd suck to have my bike bought out from under me! I'm sure you understand.