Goodbye 1993 Gold Wing GL1500A - Hello 2014 FJR1300A - Sweeeeeeet!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrstphrM

ChrstphrM
Reaction score
As I write this, I am 57 years old and, with a few years off here and there, I have been riding since I was in 2nd grade.
My last bike was a 1993 Gold Wing GL1500 Aspencade. I purchased it a few years ago with only 18K miles on it and sold it with only 21k miles because at 57 I just feel too young for a Wing.

I loved many things about the Gold Wing and I hated to let her go. I had on occasion been on her from 8 am to 8 pm only stopping for lunch. And, I often felt like I never left my couch. That said, I went on the hunt for a different bike to get just a bit more excitement out of my rides. The Wing accelerated nicely and handled fairly well (even on twisty roads). I may buy another in the future but I need just a bit more thrill right now.

I really had a hard time letting go of all the comfort; all the features; and the amazing wind protection that my wing provided. I could ride in 60-degree weather with a T-shirt. The radio was great and a Bluetooth cassette allowed me to connect my phone for GPS and Streaming music. I did have the original Intercom set still in the boxes but everyone seems to be going wireless now. I also had the bags that fit exactly in the side cases for easy packing. And, full-face helmet fit in the side case. Everything on my Wing worked as it should and the bike was very very clean. I refuse to settle for anything less in a motorcycle but never by vehicles brand new. Still, people walked up to me at gas stations to tell me how great my Wing looked and everyone was surprised that it was built in 1993.

All that said, I test road everything from Cruisers to a Tenere to a Versys to an Africa to a GT to a CTX to an NC to to to...

I narrowed my search to Sport Tour bikes, as nothing else seemed to be a good trade-off from the WIng. The first ride that almost got me was a VFR900 but it was just not comfortable enough - just a tiny bit too much sport and not enough tour. Then, I tried the Contour, the ST, and the FJR. And, everything about the FJR struck all the right cords. I especially liked how easy it was to handle most of the common maintenance items. I'm not a complete mechanic type but I do like handling oil changes and other consumables to some extent.

So... I finally sold my Old-Man Gold Wing and on 2021.10.30 I purchased a pristine 2014 FJR1300A with only 1838 miles on it. I trailer-ed it home about a 9 hours round trip. There, I completed her first oil change, a final drive fluid change, and a gas tank drain and fill - all quite easily. This FJR was nearly perfect. The only item that needed attention was a missing nut from one of the two left mirror mounting bolts inside the fairing. It seems this dealer assembled part has a nasty habit of vibrating loose or in my case vibrating off. So, for 40 cents and 20 minutes of labor, I replace the nut with one that won't vibrate loose. Otherwise, my FJR was/is in like-new condition. It also came with the taller touring windshield installed and the original sport windshield in the box. I ordered and installed a Misgel Ram Mount which installs where the two bolts hold the tank in place behind the handlebars and I got my phone/GPS mounted just the way I like it. No turning while steering. Nice.

She now has about 2200 miles on her and she just won't let me ride slow. I swear I am trying but she just won't let me. ~grin~

• I paid $9,000 and passed on a 2012 with only 1100 miles on it for $7900.
• I do sort of like the blue color of the 2012 but cruise control and other enhancements are worth the extra few bucks.
• And, many say red is actually the fastest color. (couldn't help myself)
• Side note: I bought the Wing for $1500 and sold her for $3750. So, I really have the FJR for just $6750.

I resolved the missing radio issue by getting a Cardo Packtalk and it is an outstanding replacement.
The protection of the touring windshield is also excellent.
The FJR also came with factory bags that fit exactly in the side cases and they are still in the plastic wrapper.
So, now people approach me at gas stations to tell me how great the FJR looks and everyone is surprised that I found a 2014 with so few miles. I do so love a successful hunt.

Anyway, I am near the end of the Chicago area riding season with great sadness and frequent dreams of spring.
If you are in the Chicago area, hit me up in spring, and let's ride.

Attachments

• FJR1300_2014_L.jpg
    FJR1300_2014_L.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 18
Welcome from metro Seattle and congrats on the new (to you) '14! Great intro and enjoy the new scoot, you won't be disappointed.

~G

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like ya did well. I always thought that 2014 was such a great color, especially in the sun. I went the other way. Sold my 2005 FJR and bought a 2018 Gold Wing. Now my old bones are enjoying some comfort. But I did put over 50k miles on my FJR and NEVER had to fix it. Great reliability and certainly easy to work on: two real strong-suits of the FJR.

. Untitled by gary house, on Flickr

By the way, you're going to love this forum. Great bunch of guys and years of helpful information. Can't count the number of times they helped me out of a bind and guided my decisions about what to buy for my FJR.

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like ya did well. I always thought that 2014 was such a great color, especially in the sun. I went the other way. Sold my 2005 FJR and bought a 2018 Gold Wing. Now my old bones are enjoying some comfort. But I did put over 50k miles on my FJR and NEVER had to fix it. Great reliability and certainly easy to work on: two real strong-suits of the FJR.

. Untitled by gary house, on Flickr

By the way, you're going to love this forum. Great bunch of guys and years of helpful information. Can't count the number of times they helped me out of a bind and guided my decisions about what to buy for my FJR.
Looks like you and your Goldwing are at Bald River Falls

As I write this, I am 57 years old and, with a few years off here and there, I have been riding since I was in 2nd grade.
My last bike was a 1993 Gold Wing GL1500 Aspencade. I purchased it a few years ago with only 18K miles on it and sold it with only 21k miles because at 57 I just feel too young for a Wing.

I loved many things about the Gold Wing and I hated to let her go. I had on occasion been on her from 8 am to 8 pm only stopping for lunch. And, I often felt like I never left my couch. That said, I went on the hunt for a different bike to get just a bit more excitement out of my rides. The Wing accelerated nicely and handled fairly well (even on twisty roads). I may buy another in the future but I need just a bit more thrill right now.

I really had a hard time letting go of all the comfort; all the features; and the amazing wind protection that my wing provided. I could ride in 60-degree weather with a T-shirt. The radio was great and a Bluetooth cassette allowed me to connect my phone for GPS and Streaming music. I did have the original Intercom set still in the boxes but everyone seems to be going wireless now. I also had the bags that fit exactly in the side cases for easy packing. And, full-face helmet fit in the side case. Everything on my Wing worked as it should and the bike was very very clean. I refuse to settle for anything less in a motorcycle but never by vehicles brand new. Still, people walked up to me at gas stations to tell me how great my Wing looked and everyone was surprised that it was built in 1993.

All that said, I test road everything from Cruisers to a Tenere to a Versys to an Africa to a GT to a CTX to an NC to to to...

I narrowed my search to Sport Tour bikes, as nothing else seemed to be a good trade-off from the WIng. The first ride that almost got me was a VFR900 but it was just not comfortable enough - just a tiny bit too much sport and not enough tour. Then, I tried the Contour, the ST, and the FJR. And, everything about the FJR struck all the right cords. I especially liked how easy it was to handle most of the common maintenance items. I'm not a complete mechanic type but I do like handling oil changes and other consumables to some extent.

So... I finally sold my Old-Man Gold Wing and on 2021.10.30 I purchased a pristine 2014 FJR1300A with only 1838 miles on it. I trailer-ed it home about a 9 hours round trip. There, I completed her first oil change, a final drive fluid change, and a gas tank drain and fill - all quite easily. This FJR was nearly perfect. The only item that needed attention was a missing nut from one of the two left mirror mounting bolts inside the fairing. It seems this dealer assembled part has a nasty habit of vibrating loose or in my case vibrating off. So, for 40 cents and 20 minutes of labor, I replace the nut with one that won't vibrate loose. Otherwise, my FJR was/is in like-new condition. It also came with the taller touring windshield installed and the original sport windshield in the box. I ordered and installed a Misgel Ram Mount which installs where the two bolts hold the tank in place behind the handlebars and I got my phone/GPS mounted just the way I like it. No turning while steering. Nice.

She now has about 2200 miles on her and she just won't let me ride slow. I swear I am trying but she just won't let me. ~grin~

• I paid $9,000 and passed on a 2012 with only 1100 miles on it for $7900.
• I do sort of like the blue color of the 2012 but cruise control and other enhancements are worth the extra few bucks.
• And, many say red is actually the fastest color. (couldn't help myself)
• Side note: I bought the Wing for $1500 and sold her for $3750. So, I really have the FJR for just $6750.

I resolved the missing radio issue by getting a Cardo Packtalk and it is an outstanding replacement.
The protection of the touring windshield is also excellent.
The FJR also came with factory bags that fit exactly in the side cases and they are still in the plastic wrapper.
So, now people approach me at gas stations to tell me how great the FJR looks and everyone is surprised that I found a 2014 with so few miles. I do so love a successful hunt.

Anyway, I am near the end of the Chicago area riding season with great sadness and frequent dreams of spring.
If you are in the Chicago area, hit me up in spring, and let's ride.
I had a 2014 & put 105,000 on it in 38 months & never had an issue - I now ride a 2016 & no issues - its a great bike - I hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• 100_1777.JPG
    100_1777.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Welcome, congrats on your new bike. Where did you go with the added 362?😄