Got my aerostich roadcrafter suit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting ready for my 48 plus ride for next May/June, I picked up a 2 piece roadcrafter and need

some advice on base gear and mid-layer gear. From the searches I have done, electrics seem to be

recommended. I have 1 powerlet outlet and my sae hookup. Alternating electrics seem to be my best

option. which electrics are needed and when can I just use layers (And what kind)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting ready for my 48 plus ride for next May/June, I picked up a 2 piece roadcrafter and needsome advice on base gear and mid-layer gear. From the searches I have done, electrics seem to be

recommended. I have 1 powerlet outlet and my sae hookup. Alternating electrics seem to be my best

option. which electrics are needed and when can I just use layers (And what kind)?
First layer and most times only layer under the RC is my LD comfort shorts, https://ldcomfort.com and a cheapo Target synthetic work out T. Next is a long sleeve cotten T for cool mornings colder than that I go right to the Gerbing jacket. I don't need anything other than the shorts until it's below 50˚ then I wear a pair of wind block fleece pants I got from CampMore. The fleece pants have zippers way up the legs so I can get in and out of them without removing my boots.

LDComfort base layer. Simply the best. Wear from 10 degrees to 120 degrees.

Mid-layer is a set of fleece for when it's cooler. Any sporting goods supply unless you want to buy the special one Stich makes.

Alternate or supplement to that is a Warm-N-Safe jacket.

My usual scenario is LD Comfort all the time and add the fleece jacket if needed. Night riding or cold weather I'll put on fleece bottoms and the electric vest and be good down to sub-freezing.

Since we are on the topic. What do you LD guys prefer for boots?

Dave
Thanks Dave, that was my next question. I wore watersocks on my 100CCC ride and figure I need to "Get with the

program" :D Specific to my search (It was an older posting) I was wondering if Vega Matrix boots were still a good

bang for the buck. How about Vega touring boot?

Also ... I need something I.B.A. would approve for rallies. (Couple years down the road when I learn how to properly

use my GPS) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we are on the topic. What do you LD guys prefer for boots?

Dave
Thanks Dave, that was my next question. I wore watersocks on my 100CCC ride and figure I need to "Get with the

program" :D Specific to my search (It was an older posting) I was wondering if Vega Matrix boots were still a good

bang for the buck. How about Vega touring boot?

Also ... I need something I.B.A. would approve for rallies. (Couple years down the road when I learn how to properly

use my GPS) :lol:
The IBA doesn't have any rider gear requirements other than you must wear a helmet. IMO the important requirements for boots would be

#1 waterproof, really waterproof

#2 good protection in the event of a crash

#3 comfort for those long walks on the beach collecting bonus points

I got a pair of Combat Touring Boots this spring and I'm very happy with them, now. They're old school heavy duty all leather boots making them a bitch to break in. After a season in them they feel really good but I still can't go down stairs with out a little Frankenstein clomp, clomp, clomp. Maybe by the end of next season. Also they don't claim the CBTs are waterproof but it will take a hell of a rain storm to get any significant water through them. An application of your favorite leather waterproofing should seal the deal. But the protection they offer is better than almost any touring boot. Once this summer I wore my old touring boots for a ride to lunch, it felt like I was wearing slippers. Not in a good way but like I had little or no protection if the worst were to happen.

Boots are extra difficult to order online I'm lucky I'm just 185 miles from the Aerostich showroom.

LDComfort base layer. Simply the best. Wear from 10 degrees to 120 degrees.
Mid-layer is a set of fleece for when it's cooler. Any sporting goods supply unless you want to buy the special one Stich makes.

Alternate or supplement to that is a Warm-N-Safe jacket.

My usual scenario is LD Comfort all the time and add the fleece jacket if needed. Night riding or cold weather I'll put on fleece bottoms and the electric vest and be good down to sub-freezing.
+1 here in an identical configuration. You can dink around trying to save a little money or you can buy the right setup to start with. That would be LDComfort. I like tights and long sleeved shirt since they add warmth in cool weather and prevent my sweaty skin from sticking to the suit when it's hot. These are under my 'stich in all conditions. You only really need one set since you can wash, wring and wear the things. It's magic!

https://www.ldcomfort.com/productdescription.htm#fabricvid

In cool weather the Warm-N-Safe heated jacket goes on. In really cold weather, the fleece bottoms. I just don't ride if that doesn't keep me warm. Good luck with the ride!

You only really need one set since you can wash, wring and wear the things. It's magic!
I can attest to that. Talking with Mario a couple of weekends ago...it seems I set a record for wearing my set of LDComfort for 11 days straight without proper washing (I did jump in a river once to cool off, but that produced only an oil slick and didn't really clean the garments). Not that you'd want to have been around me after about Day 5 and I had to place them in a Hazmat bag after the IBR until I could properly wash them several days later. But the garments far outlasted my personal ability to not bath.

Something to think about. On a long trip, there is a BIG difference between being "not cold" and "warm". My recommend is to go with a lightweight moisture wicking base layer such as the MTS line of underwear from REI, or the LD Comfort wear, then add the new MicroWire pants and jacket liners, and gloves from Gerbing. Then of course the RoadCrafter. The beauty of this layering system is that there is little bulk, and you can dial in more or less heat as needed without stopping to layer up or layer down.

Yep. I'm an LD Comfort convert. Yes, their prices seem atrocious, until you've actually worn their gear. One of the few things that I have paid "too much" for in life and felt really glad I did. My Russell seat is another...

I would also recomend that you go with some polar fleece synthetic middle wear. Yeah, they are made from old recycled milk bottles. That's what makes 'em great. No natural fibers to capture and trap moisture, which in the cold is a really bad thing. Whatever you do, avoid cotton. It is always cold after a few minutes because it is so absorbent, it will trap the sweat your body gives off even when it's cold, and you'll just get colder.

Wool is good on the feet. Won't do the cotton moisture absorption thing. Polypro is even better but doesn't hold up to use on the feet like good ole' wool. And I personally like that scratchy feeling inside my boots (but definitely not inside my pants :eek: ).

Electrics are a great idea, but you still need to stick to synthetics while using them as you are (even more) likely to sweat and sweat in cotton is cold and clammy.

Check out what skiers/snowboarders use. Nike makes some awesome Dryfit stuff that wicks moisture. You'll love the Roadcrafter. I baptized mine in a torrential downpour for 2 hours. The only place I got wet was a little dribble on the back of my neck. Best 700 bucks I ever spent!

Boots; avoid buckles and laces on the front as they trap water spray off the road. Goretex is good stuff for boots. Mine have a layer built in with velcro covered zips. These are my boots. DRY,DRY,DRY! had them for years now and still holding up well.
2_transopengtx.jpg

I'm a committed SIDI boot fan. There size 44 (american 10) is fits perfect for me.

I'm on my second "summer" boot which is the SIDI Air Champion. Not at all waterproof, but airy in hot summer temps. When they were my only boot for years, I had a pair of Sealskinz waterproof sox that I would wear under them when it was cool and rainy. In the summer, I welcomed the rain to cool me off was OK with damp feet in 100 degree weather.

My waterproof and cooler weather boots is SIDI Way Rain Boots. Great protection and perfect all around boot unless you wish to go with the more expensive Gore Tex boots...SIDI makes a remarkably good boot for all around use.

On my recent cross country trip I was so glad I had purchased the LD Comfort shorts. A couple days when I didn't have a long ride planned, I would wear the REI 'performance wicking' type under shorts. They do a OK job with moisture control but can't touch the comfort afforded by the LD shorts. Best $50 I spent on the trip. Also I can recommend the Oxtar Matrix boot. It's sold under another name now. Check newenough.com I think they still carry the new brand.

As for socks I only wear wool. every day of the year, not just when riding. My personal favorite: Smartwool. Not a bit scratchy. Just keep you dry and comfy. lots of weights, heights available for any conditions. highly recommended.

I use a Widder electric vest. No issues, its 10 years old, still works OK. But I've seen a newer one from Tourmaster that I like better. 3 heat settings and a strecthy side panel to improve fit. When I need another, I'll look into the tourmaster.

Warn and Safe full Jacket liner, Warm and Safe Heated Carbon Gloves and a dual remote controlled heattroller.

That will keep you comfortable down into the mid 30 (personal experience) and below I am sure.

Good luck.

Latest posts