GPS APPS Android - which one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
On the hunt for a GPS App...

Google maps on and off the grid just not cutting the mustard. Need some suggestions for the available apps and what you've had luck with.

Got both a Galaxy S4 and a early model GPS Nexus 7. Need an on-board Full GPS app.

Hit me !

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you plan correctly you can cache maps on google maps. The GPS works whether you are on the grid or not.

I just make sure that while I am connected to the internet I view the areas I intend to visit and use the "save this map" option.

Couple that with my Zumo, and I am covered.

(dont forget Bubbler GPS also, for delivering your locations to spotwalla..)

Negative on the spotwalla, just looking for a dedicated GPS.

Not looking to cheap out, best bang for the buck....

Read that CoPiLot was working well for others... just curious if that's still the best option...

I use 2 apps simultaneously on my iPhone, with a 3rd being evaluated, and of course the SPOT tracker as insurance in case of an accident when out of cell range. I think the first two here are also available on Android

1) Navigon (a Garmin product now) - full maps on the iPhone so you've got turn-by-turn and updated directions even when out of cell range. I bought it a long time ago and only bought the Western US and Canada package - think it was $40 at the time. It updates the maps frequently and as far as I know the updates are forever (or until me or the phone or the company dies, whichever comes first)

2) Motion X GPS - use it to track real time location and speed. Much better than the SPOT tracks for reliving the details of a trip. It tracks elevation, speeds, location every few seconds (don't remember the spec), let's you take photos that are tied to your location so you don't forget later and other features. I think its cool to have the more detailed history.

3) In evaluation - similar to Bubbler GPS which is only Android, there's something called SW Connect for iPhone - while in cell range it will update your position to SpotWalla every few seconds instead of the 5 to 15 minute interval on SPOT. Very simple to use and interface seems to work as advertised.

What I don't know is how hot the phone will get trying to run all 3 apps simultaneously. And I already have some problems where the Motion X will crash if I've got the Navigon app up and running on the screen. I'm not sure what triggers it, so I usually leave the Motion X app in the foreground, and Navigon running in the background. I still get the voice-prompts that way, and Motion X keeps running. So adding SW Connect on top may be problematic, but don't have enough experience to know for sure.

Don't know if that helps but that's how I roll

I bought the Sygic app for around $35 for the North America maps for Android on the Galaxy 7. It's better than the software I had on my old Garmin, has a lot of the features most traditional GPS's have, but the interface is a bit quirky. It definitely has a learning curve to create routes, but once the route is in, the on screen directions and voice prompts are very helpful. It has 3D landscape mode and zooms in/out based on current speed, so that's pretty nice. One of my wish list items would be to have a way to create the routes either online or on the computer, then load them into the app. There "may" be a way to hack a route in using a bunch of conversions, but sure would be nice if it was built in. Also has a free trial, so you can try before you buy.

Anyway, just my .02 . . . Dan

Get a Garmin. Hell, get a Nuvi and remove it or cover it when it rains, but relying on your phone is making your life more difficult than it needs to be.

If you ride far enough from home that you need a GPS function, get a real GPS. It's worth it.

I got a Garmin Zumo 550 in 2006. Replaced the screen for $50 a 3 years ago and it is going strong. Like Zilla said get a Garmin. I love my Zumo and would replace it with another Garmin product when it dies. I use it in the rain without worry, can create detail routes and find places on the fly.

Products designed for a specific purpose are, in general, superior to general purpose products and if you use it then it is worth it.

CoPilot. No question. Works great for turn by turn directions. Requires about 2 GB for North America maps. Or you can download by region for less space. Best $10 I've spent. Allows for dragging the route in the app itself and you can set the number of alerts you want before each maneuver. Make sure to set your language to the Google one inside the app options. She'll deliver street names with turn by turn. The others don't. We use it on rides all the time.

Use the following to draw a route in Google and have CoPilot navigate it. An extra step, but useful for drawing out maps on a PC first.

https://asphaltsea.org/co-pilot-for-android-import-procedure

I've tried CoPilot and TomTom on my iPhone and liked TomTom a lot better. CoPilot didn't give street names, but DesignFlaw06's post may explain that. TomTom goes to a graphic view of highway interchanges showing what lane(s) will take you in the direction you want to go. Both download the maps to the phone so it's not necessary to be on the grid.

Again, I'm talking iPhone here, but based on my experience, I think TomTom's worth a look.

I bought the Sygic app for around $35 for the North America maps for Android on the Galaxy 7. It's better than the software I had on my old Garmin, has a lot of the features most traditional GPS's have, but the interface is a bit quirky. It definitely has a learning curve to create routes, but once the route is in, the on screen directions and voice prompts are very helpful. It has 3D landscape mode and zooms in/out based on current speed, so that's pretty nice. One of my wish list items would be to have a way to create the routes either online or on the computer, then load them into the app. There "may" be a way to hack a route in using a bunch of conversions, but sure would be nice if it was built in. Also has a free trial, so you can try before you buy.
Anyway, just my .02 . . . Dan
Sygic doesn't need Data network. It runs of the phone's GPS and powered by TomTom.

I used the Sygic India Maps last year when me and a pal drove a 7hp TukTuk 4200kms from SW India to NE India in 13 days! Worked like a charm.

Sygic GPS Navigation & Maps - Android Apps on Google Play

Thanks for the responses guys..... Its not really a dedicated need for me - I only have 35,000 on old blue here.... so you can see I'm not a heavy rider...

I already have my phone powered and mounted with the ram ball, so its easy for me to just grab an app for the limited time that I have a need, then make a move to a garmin or anything as such....

Needless to say right now I work too much and we get maybe 1 day a week if that to go exploring. For the most part I look up directions on the rare occasion as we don't venture too far from home..... mostly rural areas and honestly - we like to get lost, and find some fun not so popular places...

Haven't downloaded it yet - but I noticed that Co-Pilot is on discount through the holiday.... $7.99

Appreciate all the guidance toward finding some guidance here.... I'll mull over some of the app suggestions and try to narrow it down...

I do a lot of miles, but I just find that I don't need GPS that often. Maps work well for me. I understand that a dedicated GPS would have additional functionality, but no more than I really need GPS, the apps work fine.

I had to laugh about how you "like to get lost." Some of my favorite riding roads locally were discovered when I didn't have a freakin' clue where I was
smile.png

I've got CoPilot on my Android phone and iPad. Cheap (and I paid for the upgrade and a Europe DB). It works adequately, but I don't use it on the bike, just on foot (like in Paris) and in the car. In these scenarios I'll already have one or both of these devices and don't have to carry a GPS just to find my way around (although my iPad doesn't have an internal GPS, so I use a Garmin GLONASS receiver for it).

POI data is pretty useless, though. You will likely have to know the address where you want to go.

Well I grabbed CoPilot for starters and have messed around with it a bit today, I'll try it out - seems Adequate.

For $8.00 can't really go wrong.

I'll experiment with it and see how it pans out....

CoPilot. No question. Works great for turn by turn directions. Requires about 2 GB for North America maps. Or you can download by region for less space. Best $10 I've spent. Allows for dragging the route in the app itself and you can set the number of alerts you want before each maneuver. Make sure to set your language to the Google one inside the app options. She'll deliver street names with turn by turn. The others don't. We use it on rides all the time.
Use the following to draw a route in Google and have CoPilot navigate it. An extra step, but useful for drawing out maps on a PC first.

https://asphaltsea.org/co-pilot-for-android-import-procedure
X2.

The CoPilot app is fantastic! Well work the $10 or so it is.

Setting the voice to Google is a great tip... Thanks!!

-Brian

The motion X lite does work well as long as you have cell service ...plus it has some cool feature. I have a Spot because I like to ride solo and then I know I have coverage pretty much no matter what

Latest posts