GPS APPS Android - which one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Osmand. Been using it. Have no experience with others to compare.
I used Osmand before I bought CoPilot. It may be useful for realtime GPS maps, but for navigation is was terrible. Any time the road took a bend it said something. You could imagine how that would get annoying in the twisties.

Once I found the link how to convert routes in Google Maps to CoPilot, I found the answer. Converting GPX to CoPilot didn't seem to work as well, but still useful. I seem to recall when I used the Google to CoPilot, CoPilot was smart enough to figure out most of the time when you avoided a particular road because of construction, time, weather, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not looking to cheap out, best bang for the buck....
Not looking to cheap out? Then stop goofing around trying to use a phone as a GPS. It will always be a compromise as compared to an actual dedicated GPS device, no matter what the other cheap bastards phone users tell you.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Not looking to cheap out? Then stop goofing around trying to use a phone as a GPS. It will always be a compromise as compared to an actual dedicated GPS device, no matter what the other cheap bastards phone users tell you.YMMV
And no matter what the spendthrifts say, having music, phone , navigation, camera and tracking all in one device saves not only money but cockpit space, wires for power, connection issues if using Bluetooth, and so on......

Not looking to cheap out? Then stop goofing around trying to use a phone as a GPS. It will always be a compromise as compared to an actual dedicated GPS device, no matter what the other cheap bastards phone users tell you.YMMV
And no matter what the spendthrifts say, having music, phone , navigation, camera and tracking all in one device saves not only money but cockpit space, wires for power, connection issues if using Bluetooth, and so on......
It's a matter of personal preference and personal needs. I seldom need a GPS and don't see the need to spend the money for a dedicated unit when I do. So far, the GPS app on my phone has been adequate in getting me where I want to go. But my friends who are really into GPS do a lot more with it than just getting where they want to go and wouldn't find the phone app adequate.

It's a matter of personal preference and personal needs. I seldom need a GPS and don't see the need to spend the money for a dedicated unit when I do. So far, the GPS app on my phone has been adequate in getting me where I want to go. But my friends who are really into GPS do a lot more with it than just getting where they want to go and wouldn't find the phone app adequate.
Exactly. Once you have a motorcycle GPS and start to use all of its capabilities, nothing less will do.