GPS mount (3d print)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kebo123

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am an owner of FJR's since 2007. Most of the time I used Stem mount for GPS Navigation location, on my current bike the one from Techmount and I was pretty satisfied with that solution (liked it better than mount on handlebars). Disadvantage of Stem mount is, that GPS is pretty low and to check the path, you have to look down. I got to use it, but after the last extended weekend trip, I decided to make a mount in vision line. I do not like too much design of Dash shelf (too large for me) so I did my small project with 3d printed parts.

I targeted to achieve this position:

1_resize.jpg

2_resize.jpg

Scanned roughly bike area with phone app Metascan. I do not have lidar, just camera, and I am quite impress with the result. Of course model has to be aligned and scaled properly in CAD, but works pretty well for my project.
My design in CAD:

3.jpg
4.jpg

First proto's done from PLA (just to verify geometry):

7_resize.jpg

8_resize.jpg

Small adjustment of models was needed to increase clearance with plastic parts. Final parts printed from ABS with 100% infill - pretty solid and robust:

9_resize.jpg

I designed and printed for zones with contact with bike fairing ( 3 screws positions) small TPE parts - not to damage paint and avoid BSR:

10_resize.jpg

Photos during installation:

11_resize.jpg

Enough clearance and I use existing screws:

12_resize.jpg

Max. 10 photos allowed, continue on next post...

Last edited:
I too have my GPS on the left bar and have sometimes thought I'd like it better where you put yours. Nicely done!

3D-Printed Toll Pass Solution

I tried several solutions and settled on mounting the EZ-Pass / I-Pass under the plastic above the gauges. I use industrial Hook and Loop velcro and have a 3D-Printed adapter I designed to fit the curve of the plastic above the gauges. I have the plastic hook piece of velcro stuck to the underside of the gauge shrowd and the fuzzy loop piece stuck to the top of the mounting adapter. Then, the bottom of the adapter has the plastic hook piece and the Pass has the fuzzy loop piece. Once put in place, the Adapter and/or Pass can be removed but it takes a bit of effort and there is no way it will come off on its own. The velcro is very strong. The entire thing is quite elegant and with only some thin plastic and velcro strips between the pass and any reader you encounter, it functions every time at every kind of toll gate. It looks fantastic and blends in so well it is nearly unnoticeable at a glance. This is by far the best solution!!!

FJR 1300 EZ-Pass Mount_F1a.jpg

ADAPTER
The Original was Balsa and worked but I had the final version 3D printed out of plastic.

FJR 1300 EZ-Pass Mount_F2.jpg

FJR 1300 EZ-Pass Mount_F3.jpg

PASS AND SILCONE COVER

FJR 1300 EZ-Pass Mount_F4.jpg

FJR 1300 EZ-Pass Mount_F5.jpg

ALL THE PARTS

FJR 1300 EZ-Pass Mount_F7.jpg

Adapter
You can cut and sand an adapter out of a piece of wood and it does not need to be hollow. My prototype was solid wood (balsa works well). Hardwood works fine but the 3D-printed adapter looks best and allows airflow from the front scoop. If you want a 3D-printed adapter, let me know and I may be able to print one and mail it to you for something like $20.

Link to EZ-Pass Silicone Cover
https://www.amazon.com/EZ-SKIN-Bund...in+for+EZ&qid=1637266358&s=electronics&sr=1-2
Link to Hook and Loop Velcro
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T9JC4TL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Damn. I am so jealous. You guys that have *skillz* are awesome. I love both these creative solutions, but since I don't need a toll transponder I am really digging that GPS mount. The only negative I can see is that it is farther away to reach than my stem mount.

Hi TooManyBikes,
Sure. Current design is done for BMW NAV (4,5&6) cradle, will work fine for Garmin Z66x models. For other navigators, small redesign will be required. PM me what is your NAV, what format of data you are looking for and we will find a way.

Thanks! Do not have a GPS yet, but will let you know when I get one.

Madmudder,
yup - can be adapted to anything. There is high probability that it will fit to XT directly - send me hole diameter and axes dimensions (in mm) for mounting screw for XT cradle, I will check current design.

https://rammount.com/products/ram-b-347u

HOLE PATTERN​

4-Hole AMPS: 1.181" x 1.496"
4-Hole AMPS: 30 mm x 38 mm

Last edited:
3D-Printed Toll Pass Solution

I tried several solutions and settled on mounting the EZ-Pass / I-Pass under the plastic above the gauges. I use industrial Hook and Loop velcro and have a 3D-Printed adapter I designed to fit the curve of the plastic above the gauges. I have the plastic hook piece of velcro stuck to the underside of the gauge shrowd and the fuzzy loop piece stuck to the top of the mounting adapter. Then, the bottom of the adapter has the plastic hook piece and the Pass has the fuzzy loop piece. Once put in place, the Adapter and/or Pass can be removed but it takes a bit of effort and there is no way it will come off on its own. The velcro is very strong. The entire thing is quite elegant and with only some thin plastic and velcro strips between the pass and any reader you encounter, it functions every time at every kind of toll gate. It looks fantastic and blends in so well it is nearly unnoticeable at a glance. This is by far the best solution!!!

View attachment 3024

ADAPTER
The Original was Balsa and worked but I had the final version 3D printed out of plastic.

View attachment 3025

View attachment 3026

PASS AND SILCONE COVER

View attachment 3027

View attachment 3028

ALL THE PARTS

View attachment 3029

Adapter
You can cut and sand an adapter out of a piece of wood and it does not need to be hollow. My prototype was solid wood (balsa works well). Hardwood works fine but the 3D-printed adapter looks best and allows airflow from the front scoop. If you want a 3D-printed adapter, let me know and I may be able to print one and mail it to you for something like $20.

Link to EZ-Pass Silicone Cover
https://www.amazon.com/EZ-SKIN-Bund...in+for+EZ&qid=1637266358&s=electronics&sr=1-2
Link to Hook and Loop Velcro
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T9JC4TL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Excellent work sir. That is very cool :)

Great news, now what kind of printer is required and what material(s)? what program do you need to provide the information to the printer?
I do have one question with regards to setting the angle, It appears that once you put the additional front screw in the fairing that the angle is fixed. I see that the bottom of the mount can change the angle but the top does not appear to be able to move, is this in fact the case? I realize once you set it for your eyeline it would be fine most of the time but I have adjusted the ball mount on occasion to avoid sun glare & wondered if your design allows for that.

Regarding 3D printer - in principle you can use any kind of FDM printers with large enough heating bed. Anyone who use 3D printers have their preferred slicer SW. I have Prusa Mk3S+ - it fantastic hobby printer.
Regarding material - I recommend ABS or ASA. Those materials are UV resistance and stable in water. Also melting point is higher than other materials, means that will resist summer heat better. I have couple of application for Underwater camera used in salt water printed by ABS/ASA - works fine. When placing the parts on the plate, be careful to logically respect stiffness requirements and the fact that 3d printed parts are weaker in between the layers. I placed NAV holder components like this:

A1.jpg
A2.jpg
I used for this project 0.4mm nozzle, 100% infill, and layer 0.2mm.
Current design is does not allow rotation - I was initially thinking about that, but when I checked the function and position on first PLA proto's I decided for better robustness to make the position not adjustable.