GPS mount option

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric B

Reaction score
Here is a small write-up on my GPS setup on my 2008 FJR. It is partially in response to this thread:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150160-gps-mounting-location/

I have a Garmin 2455. I originally used a standard Ram mount with a Ram arm mounted to the Helibars triple clamp. It worked great but I wanted more protection from the weather. I then installed a Ram Medium/Wide Aqua Box. This worked good for the most part but using the foam for mounting the GPS in the box was not the greatest idea. First, selecting the right thickness of foam to get the GPS to the correct height was a challenge and needed multiple pieces. Next, as the foam broke in, the GPS was not completely stable in the box. Finally, in hot weather, the foam squished down even more. Overall, the foam wound up being a sloppy way to hold the GPS.

I decided I was going to somehow make the mount in the Aqua Box more solid. I went to Home Depot and got some spacers and longer screws to match the Ram mount hardware. Using the standard mounting holes in the Aqua Box and the standard Ram mount, I was able to come up with this solution. You can see the power cord which is run through the back of the Aqua Box. I use the cig lighter outlet in the glove box. I had to dremel out the slot for the power plug so that it can be hooked-up before putting the GPS in the mount. I also shaved the upper mount tab so that it would not interfere with the clear lens of the Aqua Box.

1-FJR+GPS+mount+005.JPG

Here is the lid closed:

1-FJR+GPS+mount+004.JPG

Here is what the setup looks like from the front of the bike:

1-FJR+GPS+mount+006.JPG

Here is what it looks like from the seat:

1-FJR+GPS+mount+001.JPG

And finally, this is closer to what I see when I glance down to look at the GPS:

1-FJR+GPS+mount+003.JPG

Overall, I really like the location. It is not blocked by the tank bag and only blocks the very bottom of the gauges. It is also within easy reach, and is pretty quick to install or remove the GPS.

Eric,

That's very clever! I have an aqua box and, like you, am not that happy with the foam required to "fill the void" behind the gps.

Thanks for the great idea!

John

Nice setup! Your eyes must me younger than mine 'cause I would never be able to read that screen without my readers or bifocals. I'm looking into bifocal options for my sunglasses.

Alan,

I found a pair of tinted safety glasses with readers that I use for sun glasses on the bike. Believe I got them them from Amazon.com Have a GPS set up almost exactly like this one and I too had trouble reading it without some form of glasses. Things are SO much better having the reader lenses in my sun glasses. Highly recommended.

Latest posts