GPS Mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Just a quick question for those in the know. I am unfamiliar with GPS systems and how they mount. Question is, if the unit is not mounted with the screen in the vertical position, will the gyro be affected? I've seen units on bikes in many different positions and not sure about the proper way to mount. My wife just bought a Cobra and it said the unit must be mounted only in a vertical position. Thanks, PM. <>< :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't go into great depth how GPS works here

Google can be your friend or quick Link

Your main concern(s) with using GPS on a motorcycle would be:

-Mount it so it doesn't fall off

-Mount it so the screen is visible to you.

Problem I see if you would think about rotating it vertical or horizontal or any other possible way would be you now have to turn/rotate your head to see the reading (speed, location, map, etc...)

Bottom line, as long as the unit has a clear shot to the sky where the internal antenna can pick up the GPS satellites in orbit it will work fine. (Vertical, horizontal, on its side, whatever) No Gyro's or anything inside, just an antenna that locks in on as many orbiting satellites as it can find to compute and output all the magic for you.

Pawtracks, my wife just bought a Cobra and the install instructions say to mount the unit in any other position than vertical will affect the gyro and could damage the GPS unit. It does say it must have a clear shot at the sky as you say but I don't know if I would put this on my bike and looking at other units installed on bikes they are mounted as you indicated. So your saying GPS systems don't have a gyro or hard drive as the instructions says? It also says not to move the unit while on as this could also damage it. Just looking to clear up some confusion and if I did purchase a Cobra, I would have to know if the install instructions are for real. Thanks, PM. <>< :huh:

Pawtracks, my wife just bought a Cobra and the install instructions say to mount the unit in any other position than vertical will affect the gyro and could damage the GPS unit. It does say it must have a clear shot at the sky as you say but I don't know if I would put this on my bike and looking at other units installed on bikes they are mounted as you indicated. So your saying GPS systems don't have a gyro or hard drive as the instructions says? It also says not to move the unit while on as this could also damage it. Just looking to clear up some confusion and if I did purchase a Cobra, I would have to know if the install instructions are for real. Thanks, PM. <>< :huh:
I don't know any thing about this unit but I know you don't want one with a hard drive on a bike.

Check with FJR4ME in the vendors forum.

Some GPS units with dead reckoning have Gyros as part of the inertial navigation mechanism. You really don't want this type of unit on your bike - too much vibration if those gyros are mechanical.

I suggest you might want to consider returning the unit you've bought if it is one of this type and get something that has no moving parts:

Garmin 2730/2820 276c/376c/476c/478c

Tomtom Rider (their other models aren't waterproof, but the Rider is not really a candidate if you plan automotive use).

There are others, like Lowrance and Magellan as well.

Whatever you buy should be waterproof and vibration-proof. I personally like units with built-in batteries and, high res sunlight readable displays - my navigators are currently the 276c and I have the 512 meg chip installed.

That tells more about the unit and I agree I would stay away from hard drive units.

Too much to go wrong, issues with vibration, etc.. on a motorcycle

Tom Tom rider

Garmin 2730, 2720 2610

All good choices as I think these all have flash based memory (no spinning hard drives)

I think the Garmin 2620/2650 is the one that used a hard drive

I tried looking up a cobra GPS but you didn't list a model or unit number so all I could do was guess when I googled up cobra gps.

Not sure what your cobra unit cost, maybe make that a cage unit only.

You can usually pick up a used or refurbished 2610 for $300-400 on ebay

I bought my 2730 for $835

Thanks for those replies. I was just curious about the difference in the units after reading the install instructions on the wifes GPS she bought off QVC. My wife bought it for her Caddy and I just am not familiar with GPS. Still stuck in the stoneages I guess. Its just after reading the install instructions got me aware concerning the gyro/hard drive and such. I would after learning this, go with the reccomended units like mentioned above or the Garmin units for the bike for sure. Learn something everyday. Diddos, PM. <><

Some GPS units with dead reckoning have Gyros as part of the inertial navigation mechanism. You really don't want this type of unit on your bike - too much vibration if those gyros are mechanical.
Really? Are they actually putting non-mechanical (laser gyros) in consumer products these days? Wow. Technology marches on...

I bought the Lowrance iWay350c. I purchased mine for several reasons. Its primary purpose is navigation when I travel for business. However, it does backup duty on the motorcycle. It is small, built in battery and a cigarette lighter adapter, but most importantly, it is skinnable. A guy out there has created a skin for it that allows you to use it with gloves on, a biig plus.

The iWay500c is waterproof, however, I am not overly worried about water (as I don't have mine mounted to the bike) and I prefer the smaller size (for travelling) of the 350c. Plus, the price was great.

Other features include a picture viewer, mp3 capabilites and feeding both mp3 and voice commands through an FM radio. Again, I liked the features.

I have a 2620, which is also a great device. A little more solid than the Lowrance. However, size was a consideration.

Alas, my Lowrance has had an issue. The hard drive failed (actually, I am not sure it was every really working). I called, and after a few minutes on hold, they are taking care of me. As I say, great customer service isn't what happens when everything goes right, but when things go wrong. I am impressed with Lowrance's service. Obviously, I would have preferred no issues.

I have no affiliation with ether company. I have two Garmin GPS's and one Lowrance. You can't go wrong with Garmin, but the Lowrance seems like more features for the money.

Most of us are usinhg GPS units with "flashcard" memory on the bikes as they seem to be more able to survive than those with a hard drive. I'm afraid vibration and "road shock" through the forks would likely be the undoing of the Cobra unit.

Most of us are usinhg GPS units with "flashcard" memory on the bikes as they seem to be more able to survive than those with a hard drive. I'm afraid vibration and "road shock" through the forks would likely be the undoing of the Cobra unit.
+1 on the type of unit to use on the bike there Mike. I didn't intend to use the wife's unit she's going to use in the Caddy on the bike as if I messed it up it would be the end of life as I presently know it. Just didn't know there were different types of gps systems as in gyro's, hard drives and flashcards and such. The info gained here is much appreciated and helps us that are still in the dark so we can be properly equipped on our FJR's. When the dinero comes in I hope to get the right gps. Until then I will just have to bite the bullet. PM. <>< :D

Latest posts