GPS on my Android

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just loaded this on my Android. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Looks like they have a 7 day trial if anyone is interested in giving a try.
https://www.ndriveweb.com/
How is this better than Google Navigation (which is pretty damn good, IME) and how the HELL do you navigate on a bike with a tiny cellphone screen? I have a Droid and I'd end up dead trying to squint at that and drive at the same time.

Just loaded this on my Android. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Looks like they have a 7 day trial if anyone is interested in giving a try.
How is this better than Google Navigation (which is pretty damn good, IME) and how the HELL do you navigate on a bike with a tiny cellphone screen? I have a Droid and I'd end up dead trying to squint at that and drive at the same time.
I have an Android phone (Verizon Droid Eris) and the Google Navigation feature is pretty good, although it's next to useless unless you just use the audio prompts and forget about trying to see the screen when you are on the bike. I tried to use mine by putting the phone in the clear map pocket of my tank bag and the accelerometer feature kept switching the display from portrait to landscape and back as I rode. And since it's not waterproof I wouldn't want to mount it unprotected from the weather, like my Garmin 2610. It also wasn't very visible in direct sunlight, too small screen, etc. You're better off getting the directions/map from the phone and drawing a simple turn-by-turn map on a piece of paper.

If you already have a Bluetooth headset (or a wired audio system you can plug your phone into) in your helmet, I would try using the Google Navigation feature first before spending any money on a GPS app, with the phone in your breast pocket of your jacket. You may find you've already got a pretty decent "emergency GPS navigator" already.

The difference that I see is the Good Navigation requires the cellular network. The NDrive works off net which guarantees you'll have GPS when the phone is not working (be sure to have extra memory on the SD card).

I can't actually compare to Google as I'm new to Android and the navigation piece. Actually I can't even compare since I just finished the download and yet to try it. It's a seven day trial so I figure what the heck.

I'm leaving Alabama one week from tomorrow headed to Santa Clara, UT so I figure that will be a good enough test.

Having maps on the phone in their own app rather than using the data network is something I've done with my Windows phone, using Delorme Street Atlas. It's actually how I started using GPS, before I had the GPS mount for my 2610, back in the day. I can install maps for where I'm going and I don't need the data network.

I didn't try to navigate with it, just stop every so often if I wondered if this was the place, pull the phone out and check it.

Google navigation doesn't require access to the network the whole time. I've loaded navigation while in a network, and traveled to a destination out of network without problems.

Of course, you're screwed if you're out of network and need directions back!

Google Maps is really good and free, give it a shot before you buy a service. I miss in now that I have an IPhone.

If you have (or add) bluetooth to your helmet you can really take advantage of your phone. Music, Phone, GPS w/turn by turn instruction (Ram mount the phone).

Google navigation doesn't require access to the network the whole time. I've loaded navigation while in a network, and traveled to a destination out of network without problems.
Think, slappy, think! If you need directions back, just look at your nav device in a mrror! :p

Think, slappy, think! If you need directions back, just look at your nav device in a mrror! :p
Yeah, FJRs don't have the built-in find-your-way-home trail that the Harleys have...