Gps Recomendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 595. It does what I need it to do. I've successfully resisted the XT based on the need of wifi and other apps added on to make it work. I could be wrong but the last thing I need to do is to try to figure out more useless BS to make and transfer a simple route.

Thanks for responses have to think some more I am afraid the XT has more features than I would ever use and it’s quite large. Leaning leaning towards 396 like the size and simpler format.

I bought a Garmin Zumo XT last year but haven't had a chance to use it much. Much brighter and easier to read than my Garmin 665 - I have trouble under bright conditions. I think I will like the XT a lot. A little blurb from Greg Rice's website:

http://www.gregrice.com/zumoxt/zumoxt.html
The 665 still works OK but you have to do a workaround with an SD card in order to load all the North America maps. Very slow to respond and a pain in the ass to manually enter a route with more than a couple of waypoints unless you use a computer with Basecamp.

I bought a Garmin Zumo XT last year but haven't had a chance to use it much. Much brighter and easier to read than my Garmin 665 - I have trouble under bright conditions. I think I will like the XT a lot. A little blurb from Greg Rice's website:

http://www.gregrice.com/zumoxt/zumoxt.html
The 665 still works OK but you have to do a workaround with an SD card in order to load all the North America maps. Very slow to respond and a pain in the ass to manually enter a route with more than a couple of waypoints unless you use a computer with Basecamp.
The 396 really does need a sun shade, really hard to see with certain sun angles

I had a reliable till the end Zumo 550 after having had 450 for many years too. Finally the 560 started the commonly know issues at about 10 yo.
I purchased a Zumo XT and I'm very pleased with it. Lots of features and customizations, and lifetime map updates (up to 4x/year).

I use a zumo 595LM.It has everything I need AND tire pressure (TPMS) indication which s the reason that i consider it the proper choice!

Still rockin’ my old zumo 550 on the FJR with wired Starcom headsets. I have a zumo 660 on my Africa Twin because it will display tracks and I can bluetooth connect into the helmet, both of which are nice when off roading.

Two years ago I picked up a zumo 396 that now does duty on a Bonneville T100 and in my Jeep Wrangler. It also displays tracks, for the Jeep’n. The bluetooth on the 396 is way better sounding than on the old 660, even using the same old headsets, except I can’t control the media player from my old Sena SMH10 BT headset buttons. I like being able to skip forward, backward, pause and play from the jog dial. It may integrate better with a more modern headset, but thought you may want to check one out with your headsets. I’d imagine the XT uses the same media player.