Gps Recomendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if anyone is interested I have my 550 with XM antenna on eBay right now. If interested we can can make a deal off eBay and I’d be willing to discuss price.

Read the details though.

The 550 BT is ok, but it is only the hands free profile, so is totally monaural. That’s why I still use the Starcom1 box and wired headsets on the FJR.

The 66X series added A2DP profile, which gives you stereo music, but the implementation is crude. On mine, it often switches profiles back and forth whenever it feels like it, resulting in loud, distorted music, and requiring a zumo power cycle to clear.

The later zumo versions seem to have much more stable configurations that work consistently well.

Last edited:
I had a TomTom. Apparently it is great in Europe (I wouldn't know). Not so good in North America. Very finicky when trying to plan a route. Updates were not easy. When the cable crapped out, I could not get a replacement; it would have to be purchased in Europe and shipped. I have gone over to using Google maps, which I have found works well for my needs.

I used a Zumo 660 for a couple of years and was pretty happy with it. Opportunity came up to get a newer Zumo XT so I updated to that. There are some features where the 660 was more user friendly but the superior brightness of the XT has won me over for the type of riding I do and my intended usage. Zumo XT for the win.

Following. Just tried to update maps on my TomTom Rider that I got dirt cheap on an Amazon sale several years back. They don't offer any combination of a reduced dataset for the maps that fit in the memory. So another example of 'lifetime' maps meaning the lifetime of the manufacturer's willingness to continue support it. I had paid for lifetime maps on my Garmin Streetpilot when they decided their lifetime was ended. At least they gave me a free replacement (albeit a car unit).

TomTom will give me a $75 credit to upgrade, but they only offer it on car units, not on the Rider.

Makes me wonder if I need a dedicated GPS or just use my phone. If I do go for a GPS, looks like the 396 may be the way to go.

Just curious if anyone has some feeeback... From what I can tell, it appears that the 396 is a smaller version of the XT, but almost or same software based on the features I see. Is that correct or am I missing something?

Just curious if anyone has some feeeback... From what I can tell, it appears that the 396 is a smaller version of the XT, but almost or same software based on the features I see. Is that correct or am I missing something?

I think a better comparison would be to a 590/595. Read some reviews on them as the 395/396 I believe is similar just without the bells and whistles.

https://blog.ja-gps.com.au/2018/04/garmin-zumo-396-lmt-s-vs-garmin-zumo-395-lm-whats-changed/

Zumo 396-LMT-S is a no-brainer at $270 new, shipped, from gpscity on eBay.

I use the same one, and it serves my needs well. I've copied a bunch of music to it to listen to on the interstate. I was dismayed when I got it that it didn't have a connector for earbuds, but I'm using a Scala Rider that works fine. For routing I still use the Tyre software that came with my Tomtom several years back and copy it to the Zumo with Windows Explorer.