GPS Software for Android

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossyrocks13k

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a NUVI 550 which is on it's second battery (getting ready for a third 🤦) and the screen has become very scratched, so I decided to search for a newer GPS.

I settled on the Garmin 595 XT, but at $500 I figured I could probably get a tablet and and software a little cheaper.

I have settled on the Samsung A7 Lite because I think the size is a good compromise between the 5.5" Garmin and a 10" screen. I set my current 10" tablet where it will sit and decided the 8.7" screen is a good compromise between the 5.5" Garmin and a 10" screen

I tried CoPilot on my phone a few years back but got really frustrated because if you miss a waypoint, the software was really difficult to skip it. Also, if you stopped a route and wanted to restart while on the route it always wanted to go back to the beginning. I ended up editing the route and deleting all the previous waypoints so I could start from where I was at.

So my question for the forum(s) is what software do you use?

Samsung - Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 8.7" 64 GB

RAM® Tab-Tite™ Spring Loaded Holder for 8" Tablets

I've described here on the forum before, how I've been using OSMand + for years now on my own pure-GPS Android tablet (current one is an 8" Samsung T280 model I think).

Works very well indeed.

When I was looking I tried OSMAnd and had trouble getting it to work. Cyclepath has had great success with it, though. And if I remember correctly, it's free.

I settled on Kurviger which you can try for free for a week and, if you like it, the economical way to buy it is $10 per year. It gives you 50 waypoints per route and you can have them announced or silent. You can build the routes on a desktop or laptop and then transfer them to your phone or tablet. The learning curve is kind of steep because the documentation is a bit chaotic and it's translated from German. I discussed it a little here. I could get it to run using offline maps with my 5G and wifi radio signals off using GPS only. It will run with the screen off and interrupt music to give spoken directions.

The HERE WeGo app is free & allows you to download maps & use it offline, or online. I've tried OSMAnd but HERE works better for me (and they have a service facility for their camera cars at the end of my block so they're local).