GPS Suction cup Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to add that some folks have reported that the plastic used to make many suction cups can , over time, react with the plastic used on some windscreens and end up leaving a mark or a discolored area.

Likely will not harm the gas tank, but I think if I were mounting a 100 to 600 dollar bit of electronics to my bike I would want it solidly mounted. There many good mounts out there to pick from , so for just piece of mind I would not use the suction cup mount on a bike.

I have no problem using one in my car, which has , over time fallen off the window. On a bike if it falls, it likely will fair worse...and they are also alot easier for someone to steal BTW.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
You can be the first one to give it a try and let us know your results... :ph34r:
He won't be first.

I have 80.000km with my FJR and PDA/GPS attached with suction cup to windshield ith no probem till now.

Can be seen here in Year 2006:

https://foto.slovenija.net/index.php?album=...resize=original

It even survived some very bad or better nonexistant road in Tuscany:

https://foto.slovenija.net/index.php?album=...;resize=800x800

It is still holding in 2009.

But it is very wide suction cup. When tried with smaller one id fell of before eye blink.

I'm using this one:

https://www.hama.co.uk/portal/articleId*138448/action*2563
That's not the same thing as the suction mount the OP uses in his car now, is it? The whole premise of this thread was - why can't I use the suction mount I use in my car, instead of buying a RAM mount. Never mind, the RAM mount maybe cheaper than the suction mount you are using there...

I recently bought a garmin to use on my upcoming bike trip. I've been using it in my car over the winter to get to know it before the trip. I use the suction cup mount to the windshield in my car and found it to be rock solid. I wondering why nobody uses this feature on their bikes windshields and instead use something like a RAM mount. I've got V-Stream on my FJR and the thing is just massive. Theres plenty of real estate here to use with the suction cup. Is it because the curve of most windshields will not allow a proper hold on the unit?
Somebody want to fill me in on what i'm missing here before i go buy a ram mount?

thanx...

GreyGoose
I use the suction cup, but I mount it on the gas tank, front and center. Never had a problem....curve of the tank matches the suction cup perfectly.
Same here. I did tether it to my tankbag though. When I went with a larger tankbag I had to go with the ram mount.

The suction cups holding my radar detector held fine until the temperature dropped to near freezing, then it fell off. Luckily I saw it and caught it, but the suction cups wouldn't work when it got cold. They wouldn't even reattach until the weather warmed up again. They work great in warmer weather but I've never been able to use them in cold weather. For this reason I decided not to use a suction cup for my gps.

-Steve in Phx.

I tried the suction mount on the gas tank. Hoped that since it was "resting" on the tank and not hanging from the windshield, it would make a difference. Nope. The first time I twisted the accelerator, the GPS was in my lap.

In prep for our EOM meeting last september, and willing to sacrifice the older Tomtom and mount, I used silicon to "reinforce" the bond. It worked well, but it was a bit too low to be ideal. Later, I was able to break the seal and rub off (like rubber cement) the silicon with no impact on the paint.

I recently bought a garmin to use on my upcoming bike trip. I've been using it in my car over the winter to get to know it before the trip. I use the suction cup mount to the windshield in my car and found it to be rock solid. I wondering why nobody uses this feature on their bikes windshields and instead use something like a RAM mount. I've got V-Stream on my FJR and the thing is just massive. Theres plenty of real estate here to use with the suction cup. Is it because the curve of most windshields will not allow a proper hold on the unit?
Somebody want to fill me in on what i'm missing here before i go buy a ram mount?

thanx...

GreyGoose
I use the suction mount on my 08' for a few weeks now. On Tuesday I rode to Santa Cruz and back (857 RT miles), no problem. I just mount it on the gas tank, front/center.

I did use some kitchen countertop cleaner to remove the wax under the suction cup. I also made an elastic tether that connects to the GPS mount and to the cable minders for the handlebars. Also on my Garmin nuvi255 the power cable is a bitch to insert and remove from the back of the GPS and would probably help keep the unit from hitting the street.

That's not the same thing as the suction mount the OP uses in his car now, is it? The whole premise of this thread was - why can't I use the suction mount I use in my car, instead of buying a RAM mount. Never mind, the RAM mount maybe cheaper than the suction mount you are using there...
This is original suction cup that I've got with my PDA/GPS in 2005.

It was specified as car mount system.

This is original suction cup that I've got with my PDA/GPS in 2005.

It was specified as car mount system.
Well, I'd be damned - that is the fanciest OEM car mount I have seen...

I dont want to take this too far off topic, and i appreciate everyones imput, but i need ask. My garmin 765T unit clips into a small mount (which the traffic / power cord inserts into). That piece attatches to the ball of the suction cup mount. If i decide to order a RAM mount for the unit, do i need to order anything (what they call a cradle) to actually hold the unit in place from them (or do i just order a mounting ball, and a stem with another ball on the end that i can clip to mount that came with the unit)? My unit requires this clip in order to use the traffic function.

Garmin pushes you to use the power cord that comes with their unit and i've notice when using just any usb cord i have laying about my car that the unit will get power but not enough to charge the unit. Garmins official response to this issue is:

"The Nuvi 765t is not supposed to be charged in the vehicle with a charger that plugs into the USB port. Due to issues like you are experiencing. Charging the unit with a third party charge may cause the unit to become inoperable due to the way the charge is transferred from the car to the unit and void the warranty. Please only charge the unit with the car charger that came with it that plugs into the mount. "

any thoughts?

GreyGoose

I have a Garmin 780, while it is not the 765T the charging mechanisms are not that different I suppose.

"Charging the unit with a third party charge may cause the unit to become inoperable due to the way the charge is transferred from the car to the unit and void the warranty. Please only charge the unit with the car charger that came with it that plugs into the mount. "
I call B.S. on that one, yes it may void your warranty, but it does not become inoperable, at least it has not in my case. I use this direct wire kit from Glissom to charge my 780 on my motorcycle(s).

318MA0egaHL._SS500_.jpg

They make a cord for the 765T as well - of course Garmin will claim void warranty and crap but at least for me the 780 has been working on the motorcycle(s) for about an year now.

765T cord.

You could also get a 12V cigarette lighter style power outlet and mount it to the dash and plug in your GPS that way, but I didn't go that route.

My garmin 765T unit clips into a small mount (which the traffic / power cord inserts into). That piece attatches to the ball of the suction cup mount. If i decide to order a RAM mount for the unit, do i need to order anything (what they call a cradle) to actually hold the unit in place from them (or do i just order a mounting ball, and a stem with another ball on the end that i can clip to mount that came with the unit)? My unit requires this clip in order to use the traffic function.
I don't know what clip you were talking about for the traffic function, but at least for the 780 the traffic receiver was in the cigarette lighter plug and not in the cradle itself.

Of course, if that is also the case with the 765T then using the direct wire power cord will result in the traffic functions not being enabled.

I actually like Garmins cradle, this way if the cradle's 12V power contact wears out and they eventually do, I can get the spare out (yes I bought a spare) to replace the worn out cradle. However, in my personal opinion I would not use the cradle's ball mount with the Garmin supplied suction mount - unless you want your GPS flying into your face the one time you hit a good bump on the road. The weakness may not lie in the suction mechanism, but I feel that the ball attach mechanism on the Garmin car mounts are a bit flimsy.

You will need a GPS cradle which RAM also makes and then a suitable handlebar or reservoir or stem nut ball mount, you will then need a RAM arm which will attach your RAM GPS cradle to your RAM ball. I have a handlebar mount on one motorcycle which has been there about an year and a reservoir mount on the Feej since Dec of last year. They work great and secure the GPS very well.

RAM-B-149Z-GA26-2T.jpg

I use the suction cup mount on the tank for my Streetpilot. The GPS would come off the mount ball before the mount comes off the tank. No problems in 2 years. Not sure about the Nuvi mount.

I just wanted to quickly update everyone on this topic to put a close on the issue. My Suction cup mount just convienetly popped off my windshield on the way to chicago last week for no apparant reason. Luckily, i was in the cage. I could not believe it. I would have bet that i was going to have to include it as a car accessory when i sold the vehicle since i was so sure it would never come off. Its been on their for months. I dont know if it was due to tempurature changes or what, but it is what it is.

Bottom line: The Suction cup mount on the windshield may be a plausable solution for the short term, but for piece of mind and cost, I've got a ram mount and wont be looking back. It just not worth the risk unless you willing to concoct a tethering system for backup (which basically confirms what the majority of respondents already knew).

thanx again for everyones input.

GreyGoose

I just wanted to quickly update everyone on this topic to put a close on the issue. My Suction cup mount just convienetly popped off my windshield on the way to chicago last week for no apparant reason. Luckily, i was in the cage. I could not believe it. I would have bet that i was going to have to include it as a car accessory when i sold the vehicle since i was so sure it would never come off. Its been on their for months. I dont know if it was due to tempurature changes or what, but it is what it is.
Bottom line: The Suction cup mount on the windshield may be a plausable solution for the short term, but for piece of mind and cost, I've got a ram mount and wont be looking back. It just not worth the risk unless you willing to concoct a tethering system for backup (which basically confirms what the majority of respondents already knew).

thanx again for everyones input.

GreyGoose
Same here, suction mount for the Tom Tom worked perfect for months and then one day I was making a quick catch. The new nuvi 550 coming will have a Ram Mount for sure.

Remember too that the suction cups are mostly used on glass windshields...that maintain a vacuum. Acrylyic and polycarbonate windshields are made of plastic and off-gas throughout their life. The vacuum degrades slowly and chances of it being on a divided freeway at rushhour vs. your garage are directly related to your karma.

I would imagine it's the same reason you can't get tinting to stay stuck to motorcycle windshields.

RAM and other mechanical mounts are your friend. ;)

I dont want to take this too far off topic, and i appreciate everyones imput, but i need ask. My garmin 765T unit clips into a small mount (which the traffic / power cord inserts into). That piece attatches to the ball of the suction cup mount. If i decide to order a RAM mount for the unit, do i need to order anything (what they call a cradle) to actually hold the unit in place from them (or do i just order a mounting ball, and a stem with another ball on the end that i can clip to mount that came with the unit)? My unit requires this clip in order to use the traffic function.
Garmin pushes you to use the power cord that comes with their unit and i've notice when using just any usb cord i have laying about my car that the unit will get power but not enough to charge the unit. Garmins official response to this issue is:

"The Nuvi 765t is not supposed to be charged in the vehicle with a charger that plugs into the USB port. Due to issues like you are experiencing. Charging the unit with a third party charge may cause the unit to become inoperable due to the way the charge is transferred from the car to the unit and void the warranty. Please only charge the unit with the car charger that came with it that plugs into the mount. "

any thoughts?

GreyGoose
For the most part this is BS, and Garmins way to scare you into using Garmin only chargers. In the event of a warranty claim, NEVER admit the use of an aftermarket charger, as they will try to use that as an excuse not to cover the damage.

The reason you are having this problem is that many USB chargers only provide up to 500ma, which as you found out is just enough to power the unit, and not enough to charge it as well. I have the same issue with my TomTom GO720. Most of the time I am using a power cord that provides enough juice, but I also have a phone charger for my samsung that has a USB port on it to charge a second device, and when I use that adapter, I have the same problem.

I have suction cupped my Tomtom to the tank, right in front of the filler cap. No probs, never felt like it was going anywhere. I think the windshield would be alright, but I think I might put a safety tether on it.