Gps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canes

Reaction score
What kind of GPS do you have on the FJR and how is it mounted? Pictures would be great!

Garmin 2610 with the Touratech lockable mount on a stem stand. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Mike

47849713-9eda-02000153-.jpg

Garmin Quest

47849715-8651-02000153-.jpg

Garmin motorcycle-specific cradle adapted to RAM mount

47849712-ed89-02000153-.jpg

I use a human brain mounted in a head which is in turn mounted to a body that sits on the seat. The brain calculates course by looking at a map mounted in the tankbag and by using dead reckoning skills acquired over time and stored in the human brain. It's fun riding this way, as there is an actual risk of getting lost, which increases the sense of accomplishment upon arriving at the intended destination. This method also provides riders in a group with something over which to have friendly, profanity filled disagreements, which also increase the joy of the ride.

Sorry, couldn't help myself... :p

I use a human brain mounted in a head which is in turn mounted to a body that sits on the seat. The brain calculates course by looking at a map mounted in the tankbag and by using dead reckoning skills acquired over time and stored in the human brain. It's fun riding this way, as there is an actual risk of getting lost, which increases the sense of accomplishment upon arriving at the intended destination. This method also provides riders in a group with something over which to have friendly, profanity filled disagreements, which also increase the joy of the ride.
Sorry, couldn't help myself... :p

is there a way to secure your navagition system to the bike or do you have to remove it each time you park the FJR

Last edited:
Garmin 2610 mounted in a Gadget Guy enclosure. I had to have it!

cockpit.jpg

gps_mount.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently running a Garmin V, but a new Tom Tom rider is in the works as soon as my distributor gets one in.

Randy

GPS V on a RAM mount on the ECM shelf. I don't recommend the V. Display is small, detail memory is fixed at 19 MB, and the processor is SLOW to recalc routes.

I have an Iway 500c. It has 10gigs of mapping and 10gigs of mp3. It works great even on the roughest of roads. Click on my blog link for pics. I drilled out the right mirror mount and used a 3/8" ram mount.

Iwaymap.jpg

Here's my GPS

Iwaymp3.jpg

Screen shot of the mp3 player.

Palm Tungsten T w/ Magellan M500 GPS cradle and Mapopolis.com software

Work bought the Palm, the cradle was $60, the software $99.

Also runs MP3s, PocketQuicken, games, email...

Sits in map pocket of Joe Rocket magnetic tankbag with a Powerlet "power adapter".

MG: Looked at that model on the website. Amazing, esp. for the $$!!! It even got the editor's choice award from PC magazine.

I must say it looks great. Does it perform as advertised?

-BD

I like that Lowrance!! That looks like a really nice set-up. I had never seen that one before and I am thinking that may just be the ticket. I was going to wait for the TomTom Rider, but with a built in 10 gig mp3 player ....... that bad boy would be really sweet on my Stem Stand.

I am very happy with the Lowrance. It has many options available and is very customizable. You can even adjust your route to minimize left or right turns to avoid cross traffic. Its 3-D capable and the built in amplifier will blow out any speakers (you'll need to turn down the volume internally). The screen is just the right size, very clear, and does not fade-out in direct sunlight.

Wow, I went and looked at the Lowrance I-Way 500C today at a local store. It was much larger than I expected. The large screen and MP3 are nice features, but I would really like to see what it will look like on my StemStand. It was also a little heavier than most of the others. I like it ALOT, don't get me wrong, but having second thoughts about putting it on my FJR. I like the smaller units such as the C330 or the TomTom. I think I will just hold out a little longer and see the TomTom Rider when it gets released.

Hello

As some of you may already know, I own a GPS company and have tested most of these GPS systems that is mentioned on this forum.

The Lowrance iWay500 is a nice system, but personally, I think is a bit heavy and large on a FJR, but that is my personal opinion.

It have some nice features like the ability to play MP3 music, but watch out you don't lock up the unit and have to reboot at times.

The POI has improved and the unit is acceptable, if they would design the system like a NavMan and have the user interface of a Magellan and some of the specialty features of the iWay500, you will have a real winner, but we can't have it all.

The Garmin c330 is not really recommended for motorcycles, it is not water resistant and the screen is a bit hard to read under direct sunlight. It does not have the full attribute NavTeq maps that the Street pilot 2610 or 2620 have.

The TomTom Rider will soon be available with the NavTeq mapping software, the Tom Tom Go weakness is the Tele Atlas mapping software that have issues with routing and address ranges, it will route you to a fire trail or dirt road at times which is not to good for a car or even a street bike.

I am considering offering the same benifit on this forum as the other forum by offering GPS systems at my cost to FJR owners only. I do still encourage anyone that lives near a GPS retailer to patronize them.

Keep the rubber side down

James

04FJR4ME ;)