Gps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most here are from the other site

That's the reason why I am considering extending the GPS at cost courtesy! :rolleyes:

I use a Magellan 750Nav Plus automotive grade GPS system with audio out features, off road navigation software, 15 million points of interest, search by phone number and zip codes, Coast to Coast US and Canada full detail coverage and much more.

Most of the new GPS systems are consumer grade and not as durable.

Yamaha-FJR1300A-004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, yeah, duh! You get to play with all the best toys!

(By the by, I'm lovin' my 276C. Thanks for the great price and supreme service!)

Hey 4ME,

I'm going to be sending you an E-Mail in the next week or so, I'm thinking about getting a GPS in the next couple months but being a GPS neophyte I have a page of questions for you. :unsure:

Here is what the Iway looks like on the bike. I drilled the right mirror mount and use a

3/8" ram ball for the mount. It may look large sitting by itself, but when on the bike it fits fine.

fjrcockpit.jpg

Garmin StreetPilot 2610 on a StemStand. Perfect size and capability GPS on a perfect mount, giving me full visibility of all my guages and keeping the GPS at just the right spot for viewing. The 276C picture in a previous post, basically shows what it is like but no antenna sticking up and the 2610 is a bit shorter. I use the FJR Goodies/Top Gun ECM Shelf for my XM Radio, Cell Phone and V1 Radar Detector with the audio all fed through a StarCom 1 unit. Very clean set-up with excellent audio.

Here is what the Iway looks like on the bike. I drilled the right mirror mount and use a3/8" ram ball for the mount. It may look large sitting by itself, but when on the bike it fits fine.

fjrcockpit.jpg
Damn, Paul! I thought for a minute there that you got a a big screen TV for your mount!

:D

Just an old SPIII on a stemstand. Works great but I'm beginning to feel "undergunned" . I'm waiting for those Garmin 276c remanufactured units to be released..........

The right GPS system for you is the one you chose and like! Never mind what anyone else feels about it.

I have customers that love the NavMan unit that we find some what lacking, it all depends on your individuality preferences.

Believe it or not, most European prefers the NavMan and Tom Tom over the Garmin or Magellan, in the U.S, we are more comfortable with the Garmin and Magellan, why? The Tom Tom from Amsterdam, Netherlands and NavMan from New Zealand are designed with European user interface in mind, what one feels in Europe that is logically, may not be for the U.S users.

Tom Tom was taught by Magellan many years ago into how to integrate their PDA's platform with GPS and Magellan showed them also with how to improve the user interface.

Magellan by far had the easiest user interface, now Tom Tom and Garmin is coming out with even easier user interface by it also sacrifice features for ease of use.

When customers ask which is the best system out there in the market today, I normally have these answers.

1] In the U.S, by far over 50% of the consumers that is purchasing aftermarket GPS systems is purchasing the Magellan RoadMate 700 not the MRM760's.

2] If you need more ability and features, and you are familiar with loading maps with computers, the Garmin 2620 or 276c appears to be also very popular with the users that wish for more features.

3] If they just plan don't care and wish for a unit that they can walk with, the Tom Tom Go or the Garmin c330.

4] If they wish the best prices, the NavMan, Mio or Initial units is not bad,

5] If they wish for a lager screen, the Lowrance iWay, Cobra, AvMap and PLink is an option.

6] If you need traffic and are willing to subscribe to XM, try the Pioneer AVIC-N2

7] Like really small with battery or PDA format, try the Mio 168 or 269, Garmin Quest or iQue, NavMan 510 etc.

8] For motorcycles, looks to be the 276c Garmin is the people choice.

Again, the right GPS unit is the unit you will use after you buy it, the most expensive GPS unit you can buy is the one you don't use after you buy it because it is either to hard to use or you don't like it.

Do your research first, if a friend that have, ask to see the GPS unit in action and make up your mind before going out purchasing one. ;)

Support your local GPS dealers nearest you, they can use your help. :rolleyes:

I have a Garmin RINO 120. It is pretty worthless. Highly NOT recommended. The concept was pretty good. The execution was lacking. And I'm not about to try a 130.

It does work, though. Usually...