GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you must have a GPS. The only question now is; How much to spend. It can be done relatively cheaply. My lovely wife picked up a Garmin C330 (made for a car) for me on mega-sale. They can be found now for just over two bills. It has survived just fine on my bike(s). It was on my feej when I totalled her. It went asphalt skating and ended up face-down in a mud puddle. My dad went back and found it the next day. I took it apart, cleaned out the mud, and installed a headphone jack in the side. It still works fine.

Of course, one with MP3 sure would be nice...

If you google "GPS" you will find the Garmin factory outlet store. You can pick up factory refurbished units on the cheap. Full factory warranty still applies. They are even available for extended warranties.

Eh, screw google. Here's the link: Garmin is the sh&t!

If you google "GPS" you will find the Garmin factory outlet store. You can pick up factory refurbished units on the cheap. Full factory warranty still applies. They are even available for extended warranties.

Gunny on the refurbished units. My III is one with a 2 year extra waranty.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot C330 and rather like it. But I found out on the weekend it can't be totally relied on for map accuracy - I was driving around in a Vancouver suburb trying to get to the highway and the GPS told me to turn down a road that ended up being a dead end. Came out the way I went in and resumed the previous course before the turn - the GPS kept trying to get me to turn on clearly marked no exit roads to get me to the road it wanted to take me on. Spoke to someone who knew the area, found out that the route the GPS was trying hadn't been open for over a decade. A later look on MS Streets and Trips clearly showed that route was no-good so I don't know why the GPS was insistent on it, both use Nav-Teq mapping. Word is that there will soon be a map update for the GPS so that might be a consideration as to when you buy one.

A use I find helpful is as a speedo; the feejer's isn't very accurate and mine lacks markings for MPH so when I'm in the US I can switch the GPS to US measure and not have to be converting MPH to KPH or estimating my actual speed. And as previously said, at the very least it warns of upcoming twists in the road.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot C330 and rather like it. But I found out on the weekend it can't be totally relied on for map accuracy - I was driving around in a Vancouver suburb trying to get to the highway and the GPS told me to turn down a road that ended up being a dead end. Came out the way I went in and resumed the previous course before the turn - the GPS kept trying to get me to turn on clearly marked no exit roads to get me to the road it wanted to take me on. Spoke to someone who knew the area, found out that the route the GPS was trying hadn't been open for over a decade. A later look on MS Streets and Trips clearly showed that route was no-good so I don't know why the GPS was insistent on it, both use Nav-Teq mapping. Word is that there will soon be a map update for the GPS so that might be a consideration as to when you buy one.
A use I find helpful is as a speedo; the feejer's isn't very accurate and mine lacks markings for MPH so when I'm in the US I can switch the GPS to US measure and not have to be converting MPH to KPH or estimating my actual speed. And as previously said, at the very least it warns of upcoming twists in the road.
Also remember that Garmin expects you to update your map yearly (at a cost). I just bought the "2008" update for my StreetPilot 2820 from their website. It's odd that you can download software updates right away, but you have to have the map update data shipped to you physically on a CD (retarded setup there). Tax and shipping included, I dropped $80...ouch.

*Software* updates are free. *Map* updates (the data that the software USES) cost ya out the rear. If you have one of those older units, I'd consider any route on city streets suspect if the area is or has been under development, it stands to reason. That being said, I swear my GPS has tried to get me killed a couple times last year when it routed me through some of the less-friendly zones of St. Paul, MN and Indianapolis. I could almost hear the GPS laughing with maniacal glee as I nervously looked around at the streetscape that cried out to me "get out of here, homeboy, before we bitch-slap you off your ride and take you out..." It can avoid dirt roads, but a GPS can't avoid ghetto-zones!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also remember that Garmin expects you to update your map yearly (at a cost). I just bought the "2008" update for my StreetPilot 2820 from their website. It's odd that you can download software updates right away, but you have to have the map update data shipped to you physically on a CD (retarded setup there). Tax and shipping included, I dropped $80...ouch.
They don't *expect* you to update. It isn't as if your maps stop working after a year, and things in the road business are such that older maps won't strand you anywhere. Consider that Navteq doesn't map an area very often either and that the POI data is coded in China . . . so you see incremental updates from year to year.

As to downloading maps - that's several gigs of data, now distributed on a DVD. Try that over dial-up or consider the impact if your ISP caps your traffic - they pay the postage, so what's the big deal? They also have to consider the impact on their servers and the possibility that if your computer decides to eat the data you'd need to download it a second time.

My bitch is that for your $75 you used to be able to update two navigators (I have two) and now it's one so that the cost of updates (for me) has effectively doubled.

I shouldnt be reading this board. My wallets draining already. I only picked up the bike a few days to boot. Bit the bullet and ordered a Zumo 550. Thanks for the all the info guys. :yahoo:

Do you need a GPS? Nawww, not really. Then again, do we really need FJR's? Nothing wrong with trading in our FJR's in on bicycles, right? :^))

But seriously. If you don't travel outside your well known areas very often, forget about buying a GPS. But if you do travel to new areas occasionally, a GPS can be a nice gadget to own. I use mine (a Garmin 276C) on my bike occasionally, more often in the car, even more often in my boat, and EVERYTIME I have to travel for work. The Garmin 276C (and 376/476) model(s) are perhaps the most versatile GPS units out there. They works in the car, air, bike, portable (it runs off of 12 volts DC and has an internal battery too), and it even can double as a depth gage/fish finder with an option Depth Sounder you can buy for it. And it can be programmed to display roads, lakes, and offshore marine maps. The latest version of the model I have (models 376 and 476) can even display graphical NEXRAD Weather Radar information right on the directional maps, so you can tell what the weather up ahead is. Some GPS models even have a MP3 play in them! Not only can a GPS point you in the right direction, but most will be able to tell you where where to find just about everything; gas stations, shoe stores, hotels, etc, etc. It's really nice to drive or fly into a new town and not worry about getting lost, and at the same time, be able to find anything and everything. Not only that, but some GPS models provide you with nice information during trips; Time/mileage to your next turn, voice prompting for turns, time/distance to your final destination, etc, etc.

Prices are coming down, and there's many used models for sale. Good luck with your decision.

Gunny on the refurbished units. My III is one with a 2 year extra waranty.
Thanks I will check it out

Do you need a GPS? Nawww, not really. Then again, do we really need FJR's? Nothing wrong with trading in our FJR's in on bicycles, right? :^))

But seriously. If you don't travel outside your well known areas very often, forget about buying a GPS. But if you do travel to new areas occasionally, a GPS can be a nice gadget to own. I use mine (a Garmin 276C) on my bike occasionally, more often in the car, even more often in my boat, and EVERYTIME I have to travel for work. The Garmin 276C (and 376/476) model(s) are perhaps the most versatile GPS units out there. They works in the car, air, bike, portable (it runs off of 12 volts DC and has an internal battery too), and it even can double as a depth gage/fish finder with an option Depth Sounder you can buy for it. And it can be programmed to display roads, lakes, and offshore marine maps. The latest version of the model I have (models 376 and 476) can even display graphical NEXRAD Weather Radar information right on the directional maps, so you can tell what the weather up ahead is. Some GPS models even have a MP3 play in them! Not only can a GPS point you in the right direction, but most will be able to tell you where where to find just about everything; gas stations, shoe stores, hotels, etc, etc. It's really nice to drive or fly into a new town and not worry about getting lost, and at the same time, be able to find anything and everything. Not only that, but some GPS models provide you with nice information during trips; Time/mileage to your next turn, voice prompting for turns, time/distance to your final destination, etc, etc.

Prices are coming down, and there's many used models for sale. Good luck with your decision.
I ride many miles a year and all over.Heavy mo3 user.Had not thought about marine units but since I have two boats and fish a lot I will give your suggestions serious though ThankYou