Great bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feliz

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to tell you all what great bikes you're riding, but you all knew that. I've had several bikes ranging from Norton Commandos to a Vstrom 650, even a Ural Patrol, all standards. Anyway, I've never had a bike I felt like getting on and riding across the country, took a liking to the FJR and took one for a two hour test ride today, what a hoot.

It has double the HP of any bike I've previously ridden and scenery quickly turned to blurr along with the flashing light behind me...kidding. I watched for all the possible negatives I had read about on the forums but didn't really find anything, no notchy tranny, no throttle lurch, no handling quirks, shield was fine, I did notice it got hot (bike was an 05), at one point I stopped to see if something was wrong with the bike and burned my hand on the frame (doh) and my arms and wrists got tired but I think both these issues affect all sports bikes to varying degrees.

The FJR had double the power of any bike I have previously ridden so I was a little intimidated before the ride but it was unwarranted, throttle/fuel control while not quite as good as my VStrom was a non-issue. I probably spent a total of 1/2 hour doing parking lot type work, looking for quirks, but found none. I was doing figure eights within two parking spots almost immediately.

I'm waiting for the 07s to arrive to see any color changes etc then I'll be purchasing. Hope you don't mine an FJR noobie posting comments. Thanks.

Feliz,

Most of the problems you cite are unique to the '06, and minor. I've owned an '05 and an '06. In spite of the minor issues, I prefer the '06. The progression of the model suggests the '07 will be at least as good as the '06.

I get a kick out of my feej *every* time I ride it. Last night, I rode within a few miles of a tornado, while the tornado was active, with rain moving in directions you'd expect in a tornado, in quantities you'd expect in a hurricane. When I got off the bike, I took one last, longing look, and remarked to myself, "Man, these bikes are GREAT." The feej is the best bike I've ever owned, by a lot.

Today, I parked my ride in a gaggle of bikes. There were R1100RTs and R1150RTs and a K1200GT. There were a bunch of cruisers and an R1 and an R6. I looked at all of them as I was walking away. I was convinced of two things: mine looked the best; mine IS the best.

I look forward to reading your first impressions as a new owner.

Welcome ! Comments too, that's what makes this such a great forum, all the varied input. If there's nine ways to skin a cat the folks on this forum have found all nine, and another 342 variations thereupon.

Feliz,
Last night, I rode within a few miles of a tornado, while the tornado was active, with rain moving in directions you'd expect in a tornado, in quantities you'd expect in a hurricane. When I got off the bike, I took one last, longing look, and remarked to myself, "Man, these bikes are GREAT." The feej is the best bike I've ever owned, by a lot.
These bikes ARE great! One of the features that continues to impress me is how stable it is in a cross wind. My last bike was a V-Star 1100. In a strong cross wind it took a 100% effort and concentration to keep it going in a more or less straight line, and I would have to slow down to an unpleasant speed. The FJR shrugs off a cross wind much better.

I assume the FJR handles a cross wind better because it's more streamlined.... less total wind resistance. Any other theories?