Great forum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beary

Reaction score
Well thanks to the suggestions and instructions on this forum, I managed in about 45 minutes to disconnect the windshield auto-tract, move the handlebars to their farthest aft setting and install the OES long sliders to my stock 2012 FJR. I found the that I'm missing at least 3 of the panel rivets. The Fastenal stores here don't carry that rivet.

I also learned from this forum how to lift the bike on the center stand. Once I followed your suggestions, it was easy. So easy I scooted the bike back a few inches on the center stand from rocking it so hard. The foot really does do 80% of the work when done correctly. Getting the bike off the stand is the harder part now.

Looking toward my next adventure of trying the Go Throttle when it comes in.

Thanks for the help so far. I need a FJR service manual. Are there more venders for manual than Yamaha? Do I need a specific 2012 manual or will an earlier year work?

Beary

Getting the Bike off the center stand is easy..... get on the bike stand on the pegs, hands on handle bars - thrust your weight forward and rock it off the stand - drop your butt onto the seat as it comes off the stand and land your feet on the ground.... apply brake - all done...

When you get good at it - I usually start the engine, put it in first - work all those same body motions and as your bike comes off the stand while maintaining your balance - let the clutch out, no brakes on this maneuver, just ride away....

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy to hear that you are getting good results from this forum. The information shared here is excellent and is usually explained in terms that are user friendly enough for anyone to understand.

Before I joined, I lurked. I would read through entire subforums while I worked nights. I learned what questions had been asked and answered repeatedly, I learned who knew and who just B.S.ed their way through. This is still the very first site I log into when I fire up the computer and it gets visited multiple times each day.

I hope your FJR and this forum continue to serve you well.

I am happy to hear that you are getting good results from this forum. The information shared here is excellent and is usually explained in terms that are user friendly enough for anyone to understand.
Before I joined, I lurked. I would read through entire subforums while I worked nights. I learned what questions had been asked and answered repeatedly, I learned who knew and who just B.S.ed their way through. This is still the very first site I log into when I fire up the computer and it gets visited multiple times each day.

I hope your FJR and this forum continue to serve you well.
Well said - I did the same back when I was interested in the FJR 10 years ago..... Read and read - the knowledge is here !!

the search feature on this site works pretty well, but sometimes I just run back to good ol google and type in what I'm looking for, followed by fjrforum.com.

If the answer is there it'll pop up....

Now If I could just find 2015 FJR color, that'd be great !!

Well thanks to the suggestions and instructions on this forum, I managed in about 45 minutes to disconnect the windshield auto-tract, move the handlebars to their farthest aft setting and install the OES long sliders to my stock 2012 FJR. I found the that I'm missing at least 3 of the panel rivets. The Fastenal stores here don't carry that rivet.I also learned from this forum how to lift the bike on the center stand. Once I followed your suggestions, it was easy. So easy I scooted the bike back a few inches on the center stand from rocking it so hard. The foot really does do 80% of the work when done correctly. Getting the bike off the stand is the harder part now.

Looking toward my next adventure of trying the Go Throttle when it comes in.

Thanks for the help so far. I need a FJR service manual. Are there more venders for manual than Yamaha? Do I need a specific 2012 manual or will an earlier year work?

Beary
Getting off the stand - two easy (non-Warpdrv) ways, I generally use the 1st unless my tank bag is in the way.

1st: Stand on the left of the bike, hands in their normal position on the grips. Turn the bars slightly away from you, this ensures the bike will tend to lean towards you as it comes off the stand. Now push forward on the bars. You may need rock it a couple of times if you are negatively weight challenged (as I am). As it comes off, gently apply the front brake.

2nd: Stand on the left of the bike, left hand on the left grip, right hand either on the lifting handle or on the passenger hand hold, your preference. The rest is the same, turn the steering slightly to the right, now rock the bike off the stand. Note, you have no brake available, you may prefer to have the bike in gear, that will control the bike when it comes off.

As for a workshop manual, the only legal option to the Yamaha manual is the Haynes manual, available from Amazon etc. The Haynes manual covers all years to 2013, Yamaha has separate manuals for different years, but any Gen II (2006 - 2012) manual will probably be fine.

google tip - do "site:fjrforum.com searchtermshere" (remove quotes). Works wonders with other sites too (site:amazon.com, site:avsforum.com etc)

Yea.....be sure and search, if your not part of the in-crowd you will get barney fifed........by asking questions.
And thank you for being the first negative response in what was a positive thread.

A few thoughts here, a few positive thoughts:

Taking the time to do a search will probably give the answers you want. It also shows some respect for the folks who took their time to type out their knowledge and experience as a service to everyone who reads this forum. I am quite certain that this forum is the Go-To source for FJR info on the internet.

Taking the time to do a search will yield vast amounts of entertainment to go along with the information.

Becoming part of the "in crowd" is easy. The overwhelming majority have done it. There are very few members who are universally disliked and ridiculed. Very few of those ever realize the problem might be themselves.

Barney Fifed? Well, Barney was a well liked idiot. Most of our admins are disliked smartasses.
smile.png
I don't see the connection.

I say again that this is a wonderful forum. You get more out of it than what you put into it. A good attitude gets rewarded in spades.

Yea.....be sure and search, if your not part of the in-crowd you will get barney fifed........by asking questions.
Not been my experience, haven't been here long enough to be part of the "in crowd" myself.

There are a few that don't suffer fools well.

Tons of great information here Beary, glad you use it!

You've just scratched the surface of available resources on the forum...take time to search, read and then attend a FJR event. Putting faces to screen names is [mostly!] a treat, plus, you get to meet folks from all over the country and perhaps around the world.

Enjoy!

--G

Hi.I went to the dealer for a manual for my 09. Obscene price. I got a used one off Ebay for a fraction of the list price. It is a factory issue and year specific.
Please note that eBay offers may or may not be Yamaha approved. If they aren't then please remember rule 9 @ https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

If it's not paper, then we know it's pirated. If it is paper, it may or may not be.

We don't want to help those who are "fencing stolen goods".

Most of the time the reason why searching is recommended is because the first time someone posts an answer it's often extensive and detailed. The 50th time? Not so much. Most people prefer the details over a simple yes or no.

Yup - the factory manual is a traditional glue-bound paper book with a white paper cover - I have not often seen real copies on eBay - and they have never been new.

If yours is plastic pin-bound or has a photo of any sort it is guaranteed to be a clone.

This is a pretty good place still, though the towel snapping an grab assing has died off considerably over the years do to a few noobs getting butt hurt.

The vast majority of the time it's due to the fact they couldn't or didn't read the rules and instructions after signing on.

Yeah I'm one of the Barney Fife* guys, but it really tries a mans patience when you see1 or 2 threads regarding the same problem and somebody starts a 3rd.. :rolleyes:

* Tim was a hellofa guy.. The "glue" that held this place together in the early years.

Not been my experience, haven't been here long enough to be part of the "in crowd" myself.
Sorry to have to inform you, John, but you are "in" like Flynn.
If I were part of the "in" crowd, I would have said the same thing.
Well, I guess it sucks to be you then, eh?

bleh.gif

(Monday... it's the new Friday)

By the way, after I removed panels C and D ( I think) to fix the auto retract, I remember the author of the original thread suggesting to check the mirror nuts because they sometimes come loose from the factory. Sure nuff, one of the mirror nuts was almost off the bolt and this bike only has 4200 miles on it. I have not checked my other mirror yet.

After a few hours of riding yesterday, my favorite mod so far is disconnecting the auto rectract. Handlebars are better, but they still need to come up and back a little. Any advice on risers?

Beary

By the way, after I removed panels C and D ( I think) to fix the auto retract, I remember the author of the original thread suggesting to check the mirror nuts because they sometimes come loose from the factory. Sure nuff, one of the mirror nuts was almost off the bolt and this bike only has 4200 miles on it. I have not checked my other mirror yet....

Beary
Actually, the mirrors are not fitted by the factory, they're done by the dealer, so blame him.
Here's mine, not yet prepared.

(Click on image for larger view)

And check everything else he's supposed to have done.