Great NAFO Roads in CO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Last summer I did a sprint around Colorado one weekend before heading to WFO in PC. I had a blast until I experienced my first flat tire (Storm, thin, wimpy core). Fortunately, a mega dealership in Littleton was open on Monday and sold me a Dunlop and threw it on very first thing. Those guys were great!

One of the most fun roads, and prettiest, was going on good old 50 out of Canon City (leaving Royal Gorge) all the way to the west side of the state. There wasn't much traffic, the vistas were great, and the road was in great shape. Monarch Pass was cool. And sweepers don't get any better.

Going through Black Gunnison gorge area was neat, too. Couple years ago I rode the back side of Gunnison (hwy 92) with Pending. They were just resurfacing the road. That was less travelled and really cool, too. Not a good high speed road, but a fun ride with incredible terrain.

From Montrose on the west side, I went down through Ridgeway, then down the backside of Telluride on 145 on the way to Cortez and Durango. 145 was empty, and spectacular. Brand new pavement last year it looked, too. Sweet. Maybe a little far away for a day trip from Golden, but if you get a chance on that side of the state, it's terrific. Be prepared. Montrose was 104 when I was there, and backside of Telluride was only 72. Brrrrrr.... Much of the road followed a river on one side, granite walls on the other, and twisty bliss all the way through.

https://mountevans.com/Mount-Evans-Things-HikingWilderness.HTML

Mount Evans Park is just a hop skip and jump from Golden (south of Idaho Springs just off I-70). It cost $3 when I was there in 2006 (coming back from Reno) on my FJR. I think it's about a 35 mile (or was it 35 minutes?) drive up the switchbacks to the parking lot at the observatory. As I learned from many of those on this board, the parking lot is at 14250 feet. Definitely worth a trip up. I'd sure like to go at sunset. It was 95 at the bottom, and 42 at the summit parking lot when I was there. Look out for the clouds and mountain goats jumping up on to the road!

550 in the Ouray and Silverton area was really scarey. Step back in time and experience a small road cut into the side of granite with no shoulder to pull off and occasional guard rails with vistas that really intimidate. But the area is fantastic. Would love to take a dual sport throughout that area. Maybe ride one of the narrow gauge cog trains, too.

One of the worst roads I went on was through Black Hawk up to Rocky Mountain Natl. Park. That was a REALLY pretty vista all the way through, but absolutely one of the WORST roads I have even been on. On the map it looks like a lot of fun. But between the traffic, the potholes, gravel and crappy seams, it made for a really lousy ride. That was from I-70 to Central City on 279 (watch for the PO-fleece), then 119 and 72 through Nederland. I'd like to go back through the park, but I ain't goin that way. Unless some of you locals report that the road has been completely redone before we get there this summer.

Ok, time for you locals and veterans to chime in. Winter has set in, and I want to start planning my trip.

BTW, I'll probably be doing a saddle sore from TH, IN on I-70 out. 1017 miles. If anyone wants to hook up along the way, lemme know. I may go up a day early, do a morning ride, then start NAFO!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll jump in here for the Ride Coordinators...

If you want to offer up some routes, please do the following: Provide a written description (pictures would help), with mileage, length of time, attractions en route and suggested eateries along with a map to beeroux or fjrchik.

Once they have assembled a primo selection, you will find them posted on the NAFO website (soon to be up and running) and y'all can start your ride group planning.

Thanks!

yeah, what he said! ;)

If you would prefer to chat on the phone (after the holidays, please), rather than write it all out, just PM me your number and I'll give you a call. I'll have a notebook and map ready to take down all the info. That maybe the easiest/quickest way to share the info.

I'll be bothering you locals too!

141 south out of Grand Junction, 100 miles of wow. I have a video but don't know how to post it. It's a dvd.

RRA

Amazon sells "Motorcycle Journeys though the Rocky Mountains" for $16.50(2006) in paperback that I purchased recently. It has most of the loops in Colorado that I have rode over the years. It also includes other states along the Rocky mountains. Should be helpful for the $'s.

You're welcome, Wheaton. I am just jazzed about going. Glad TWN and gang were able to keep NAFO away from OSH so I can do both this year.

Was just contemplating a few different loops from Golden. Starting to think I may just take a cab and go to the COORS brewery and skip all the roads. :dribble:

Then again, going through the Eisenhower tunnel (west of Georgetown) on I-70 is pretty cool. And there are several minor roads S & W of I-70 that I have yet to ride.

Half the fun is in the planning! Well, maybe not half... but still it is a blast planning a little get away!

So many roads, so much sky, so little time, never enough money....

141 south out of Grand Junction, 100 miles of wow. I have a video but don't know how to post it. It's a dvd.
RRA
One of the best kept secrets for sure. Not marked scenic (should be) but what an awesome ride !!! ;) Also the Black Canyon of the Gunnison was excellent except just after dark the forest rats are all over for about 20 miles, must've been over 200 in that area, the most I've ever seen in a small area.

Hwy 65 offers some nice scenery climbing north toward Grand Mesa and descending toward Mesa. And there are some nice looking places to camp in the “cool of the mountains” around Grand Mesa. I like it up there. :D

I use to camp everywhere I went & wound up camping on top of Grand Mesa near a small lake in the '70s. What an awesome ride that road is ! I can't wait till the snow clears to do some more riding in CO again.

I use to camp everywhere I went & wound up camping on top of Grand Mesa near a small lake in the '70s. What an awesome ride that road is ! I can't wait till the snow clears to do some more riding in CO again.
I may know which lake you are talking about. It was beautiful and cool :) up there this past summer when we passed thru. And some of the campers said the fish had been biting that day. Meanwhile down in the valleys temps were soaring to about 104.

I believe we almost crossed paths with FJRocket somewhere in CO although we didn’t know he was in the vicinity at the time.

I'd like to make the Ridgway to Dolores to Durango back to Ridgway ride sometime. I've stayed in the Ridgway SP campground. It was nice, but crowded.

Then again, going through the Eisenhower tunnel (west of Georgetown) on I-70 is pretty cool.

So is taking old U.S. Highway 6 up and over Loveland Pass [elevation 12,000 feet] rather than the tunnel, which goes under the pass.

Going west to east, right after you crest the summit and start to drop down, you can see, way down below, the cars and trucks coming out of the tunnel.

Then again, going through the Eisenhower tunnel (west of Georgetown) on I-70 is pretty cool.

So is taking old U.S. Highway 6 up and over Loveland Pass [elevation 12,000 feet] rather than the tunnel, which goes under the pass.

Going west to east, right after you crest the summit and start to drop down, you can see, way down below, the cars and trucks coming out of the tunnel.
Now THAT sounds VERY cool! I may just loop out there, tunnel one way, 6 the other. Great tip!

This one is just for fun.

To bad this will be missed, Frozen Grandpa day

Are you guys looking to sprint around the state, and try to see it in one weekend, or are you going to stop and take a whole bunch of pictures?

If you can I would suggest the latter.

The one thing I would do is get an annual National Parks Pass. I would see them on the way over and while here.

One of the little known places to see here in Grand Junction is the Colorado National Monument. It is a short ride but fun, and just repaved last year.

One thing I'll say in caution if you are coming here and never seen a mule deer. About 2 years back I literally kick a doe in the rear that watched me ride towards it, coming down off Grand Mesa by Powder Horn ski area. (I was crawling at about 5 miles an hour on the bike)

I worked a lot of the High country and many a early evening and night I would be white knuckling it home on these highways.

I believe it was McClure Pass where George Barnes broad sided an Elk on his BMW one evening.

Make sure to have warm clothing as suggested, I have seen snowing in the high country here in July. I worked sites above 11000 ft.

Grand Junction has plenty of hotels and places to eat if you need a stop over location. It hosted a National Goldwing rally a few years back.

This state has so much to see and do, you all will have a great time.

Bob

What Chik said.

Call or write if you're a local with insider knowledge. I'm familiar with all the known fun roads, I'm looking for quirky, off the beaten path sweet roads, know what I mean?

We'll be designing rides for all abilities and interests.

Some rides good for the wife, some for the throttle challenged, some for the curve cowboy.

See ya in Golden!

GZ

When you are riding from the flatlands of the Denver metro area into the mountains, almost any of the canyons can be a fun ride, but there are some that we try to avoid because of the traffic primarily. So here are some of the routes we like to take with some of our preferred back roads.

A great loop in the northern Front Range is up the Poudre Canyon (Hwy 14), over Cameron Pass, to Walden. There are a couple of good places for lunch in Walden. Then head south on 125 over Willow Creek pass, turn north on 34 and take Trail Ridge road through Rocky Mt NP.

On the east side of the mountains the traffic is worst, so we usually start the ride by taking the back roads north from Hwy 66, past Carter lake, and then through Masonville and up to Poudre Canyon. This road has everything from some long open stretches to 15 MPH hairpins. The entire road was repaved a few years back, and the traffic is always light. Masonville has an fascinating old General Store that is more museum than anything, and a leather store.

We usually avoid Hwy 36 between Estes Park and Lyons, preferring to take Hwy 7. This comes down the South St Vrain canyon which is a great twisty road.

Boulder canyon (hwy 119) between Nederland and Boulder usually has a lot of traffic.

Whenever heading up into the mountains we try to avoid I70 for the stetch that is closest to the Denver area, the traffic is scary in this stretch. From Golden, we usually take Clear Creek canyon (Hwy 6) between Golden and I-70 just to the east of Idaho Springs. Traffic is usually not light, but it's a beautiful canyon.

Another great way out of Golden is to take Heritage Road south, past the famous Red Rocks Ampitheater down to Morrison. Then you take Bear Creek road up to Evergreen, and beyond that to Mt Evans.

The new road north from I70 to Central City is 2 lane all the way and a lot of fun to ride in a spirited manner.

Further to the west, highway 134 over Gore Pass is a lightly traveled road that is lots of fun, then the stretch of 131 between Toponas and Wolcott north of I70 is good riding.

These a are some of the good roads that are a little less known, or at least a little easier ride in some of the more congested places. I'll keep thinking, I'm bound to come up with more. I would be happy to talk to those who are planning the rides.

John

I would be happy to talk to those who are planning the rides.
John
See post #2.
Yeah TWN, I saw your request in post #2. I also saw what fjrchik said about the phone in post #3, and then beeroux was asking about some of the more off the beaten path roads, in post #15.

I guess this is just a starting point. If they are interested in some of these rides, I can provide more details. But I will have to confess that I don't have all of the details about distances, times, attractions, etc. I might need to go ride some of these routes again to refresh the memory, but we try to avoid riding in the mountains of Colorado this time of year :(

4538690L.jpg

John

And so the road trip planning continues....

Yes, those of you in the know, please forward your favorite roads and routes in the Golden area to the organized ride poobahs. But also keep in mind that many of us may either not want to go on a sanctioned ride, or we might want to come early or stay late and ride extra, off the beaten path. Or maybe just plan a scenic way to and from the event.

I love plotting around on Streets and Trips. Seems that whenever I want to plan a ride between Montrose and Durango (or thereabouts), the program always wants me to take the OPHIR PASS ROAD. Well, county road 630 is not a good FJR road. KLR road, yes, FJR, no. I almost tried it last year. Glad I didn't. You don't really want to cut through from 145 to 550 unless you are REALLY adventurous! Don't think they have all of it paved it yet. What's really cool is to go look at the road on Google Earth. It's a winter shot. The eastern half of the road appears to be under 10 - 20 feet of snow. One website says that they send in the snow plows to clear it in JUNE, and often you get to drive through 20 foot tall channels of snow. June? YIKES! :lol:

j0037.jpg

Watch out using Streets and Trips in Colorado. There are about 4 or 5 pass roads that are really meant for off road 4 wheel drive (or dual sport) vehicles. The roads might only appear to be a few miles or so, but sheesh, too much challenge for me on a 600+ pound low clearance street bike!