Great NAFO Roads in CO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a very good Colorado ride report in the January edition of Rider, entitled "Black Canyon - A long look at a very deep ditch". The ride detailed in the article begins in Carbondale in central CO and ends at Four Corners. Looks like a spectacular ride...

There's a very good Colorado ride report in the January edition of Rider, entitled "Black Canyon - A long look at a very deep ditch". The ride detailed in the article begins in Carbondale in central CO and ends at Four Corners. Looks like a spectacular ride...
Yes, 92 on the north side of Black Canyon of the Gunnison is spectacular. The vistas down into the canyon from the pull outs are amazing.

I didn't get around to taking 133 between Hotchkiss and Carbondale, but that road looks like it would be a blast. I was contemplating a "BIG DOG" ride from Golden that looped through there. Just over 500 miles to go from Golden to Sapinero, up to Hotchkiss to Carbondale, then back down through Aspen and Twin Lakes, then up to Leadville and back to Golden. Might be tough to make it in time for dinner... unless dinner is really late (and leave at dawn). At any rate, sure would like to go back through that area and check it out!

Yes, 92 on the north side of Black Canyon of the Gunnison is spectacular. The vistas down into the canyon from the pull outs are amazing.

I didn't get around to taking 133 between Hotchkiss and Carbondale, but that road looks like it would be a blast. I was contemplating a "BIG DOG" ride from Golden that looped through there. Just over 500 miles to go from Golden to Sapinero, up to Hotchkiss to Carbondale, then back down through Aspen and Twin Lakes, then up to Leadville and back to Golden. Might be tough to make it in time for dinner... unless dinner is really late (and leave at dawn). At any rate, sure would like to go back through that area and check it out!
...Got good lamps? :)

...Got good lamps? :)
Actually, we do a ride each year that we call the "Butt-kicker" -- the ride that you are discussing here. Very doable!

Golden > I-70 Eisenhower Tunnel > Copper Mountain > CO-91 > Fremont Pass > Leadville > CO-82 > Twin Lakes > Independence Pass > Aspen > Carbondale > CO-133 > Redstone (good place for lunch) > McClure Pass > Paonia > CO-92 > Crawford > North Rim of the Black Canyon (do not enter the park -- dirt road, but continue on CO-92) > Blue Mesa Dam > US-50 east > Gunnison > Monarch Pass > Poncha Springs > US-285 north > Johnson Village > South Park > Fairplay > Kenosha Pass > C-470 > Golden (or do it in reverse).

Makes for a great day!

>>A great loop in the northern Front Range is up the Poudre Canyon (Hwy 14), over Cameron Pass, to Walden. There are a couple of good places for lunch in Walden. Then head south on 125 over Willow Creek pass, turn north on 34 and take Trail Ridge road through Rocky Mt NP.

Gunny for this route from Biggjohn, it's a great ride!