Great Ride in Arizona High Country

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Been a while since I have been on a 'real' ride. Several months in fact. The itch has been strong for a while, so this past Thursday I got to scratch it. Decided on a long ride through the Arizona High Country. Nobody accepted my invitation to go along, but that was ok by me as I just wanted to go for a good ride. Not having to deal with bathroom and food breaks for a group of riders was a plus. The other goal I had was to finally try out my new DSLR camera I bought off Craigslist several weeks back. Gotta start learning how to use it!

Clicky for the route I planned to do.

So off I went. First stop was breakfast at the Buckboard Cafe in Superior, AZ. A popular Harley hangout on the weekends, I had never been there before. I was the first one there and the food was great. I'll go back again.

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

IMG_5130.jpg

After breakfast was the nice ride up to Globe, and then on to the Salt River Canyon. This is my favorite stretch of asphalt in Arizona. I had told myself I was going to go easy as I hadn't done twisties in a while and figured I was a bit rusty. But I was relaxed and 'in the zone'. I enjoyed a nice aggressive ride through that awesome stretch. Sorry, no piccies. I was having too much fun.

As I approached Show Low, I headed east into the reservation.

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

After passing through the res, it was east on Hwy 260 to my lunch destination of Greer, AZ. Up in the higher elevations, temps were cooler and the scenery not your typical Arizona desert.

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

IMG_5208.jpg

Up at 9,000', still a hit of snow at the Sunrise ski area. Unusual for this time of year, but we have had a cool spring this year.

IMG_5211-1.jpg

Arriving in Greer. I had never been to Greer before as it off the main highway about 5 miles. I had been by it many times, and was glad to finally get to see it. Neat little place. I'll have to make it a more regular destination.

IMG_5221-1.jpg

IMG_5231-1.jpg

IMG_5234-1.jpg

Lunch at the Rendezvous Diner. Neat place, friendly people, great food.

IMG_5236.jpg

IMG_5239-1.jpg

IMG_5242-1.jpg

Mmmmmmm.......YUMMY pie!

IMG_5253-1.jpg

After lunch, it was east to Eager and Springerville, and then back west to Show Low, Heber, and Payson. A great, relaxing ride in the high country with moderate temps, pine forrests, and beautiful scenery.

IMG_5266-1.jpg

IMG_5277-1.jpg

IMG_5288-1.jpg

In Payson I refueled and got a surprise. A relaxed pace at high altitudes resulted in some rather good fuel mileage. 306 miles on a single tank. Hadn't done this in a long time - if ever. At least not on this FJR with the PCIII. 6.25 gallons in for 49.1mpg. Not to shabby.

IMG_5295-1.jpg

After Payson it was north through Pine and Strawberry, and then west Hwy 260 through Camp Verde to the cool little town of Jerome that sits high on a cliff. From Jerome, my route was Arizona 89A to Prescott - a curvy little road with tight twisties, excellent scenery, and bad pavement.

I was just over 5 miles outside of Jerome when it happened.................

IMG_5298-1.jpg

IMG_5299-1.jpg

Owie.

Low-sided in gravel I never saw. In my past wrecks, there was always a pucker moment no matter how brief of 'Oh shit, this could hurt' before impending disaster. Not this time. I was riding along, relaxed, and then I was on the ground tumbling. I never saw the gravel.

My flip-faced helmet opened up hence the bloody lip. Fortunately it was a light hit on the ground and only a cut lip on my teeth. Scary. Not sure why the helmet opened. I know this particular helmet won't fully latch if I don't close it with some authority, but I usually make sure I do that. I don't know????? I do know I love flip or modular helmets, but I am rethinking them now.

My gear saved my ass for the most part. Even the rash above could have been much worse. My jacket absorbed most of it before the sleeve came up my arm exposing the skin:

IMG_5300-1.jpg

At the scene, I was walking around fine if a bit sore. Two days later when I woke up, it felt like a Mack Truck had run over me. Now, four days later, most of the pain and bruises have subsided.

View approaching the turn:

IMG_5303-1.jpg

Which is located HERE by the way.

View looking back at the direction I came from:

IMG_5312-1.jpg

I was just starting to initiate the turn. In the process of leaning left. Slightly uphill corner, I don't think I was braking at all. If I was, it was just a little. I wasn't riding too hard as I know the road surface can be iffy. I was probably riding 5 out of 10. I was pretty relaxed, as in the five miles of twistys prior to this I hadn't experienced any traction issues from the asphalt or gravel.

Here you can sort of see the gravel along the center of the lane, where my front tire washes out, and then the hard parts start scraping.

IMG_5304-1.jpg

A close up of the gravel. It was worse in person than it looks in the photo. Blends right in with the asphalt.

IMG_5305-1.jpg

Tire washing out then bad shit........

IMG_5306.jpg

I remember sliding along the ground, then my face hitting the ground and me thinking "WTF? That shouldn't be happening", and then a short time later the FJR hitting me - "That's F***ed up, now I have to worry about 650lbs landing on top of me?" I came to rest right by the guardrail. I am pretty sure the FJR hit the guardrail and then bounced into the middle of the road and came to rest straddling the centerline. Most damage was to the left side, especially the left front. Still, the right PHID was destroyed (as was left) and the front fender has some scratches on the right side.

After taking some time to calm down, I rode to the Jerome FD where I cleaned up an they bandaged my arm. Then it was the 120 mile ride down to the VA hospital in Phoenix so they could scrape the asphalt out of my arm. By the time I got there I was pretty stiff and sore. FJR handled great, though I could feel something 'loose' when braking. Still haven't tracked that down, but on closer inspection the next day I now know there is something off with the front end. Rear of the front fender hits the fairing below the radiator when turning bars side to side. I am worried that I may have frame damage. I am partial to my Dirty Ol Whore and will be really bummed if she is totaled. I just hope it's the forks that are bent, or maybe the lower triple tree. I think it's going to be tough figuring out exactly what is wrong.

This is the one that I had always worried about and over hundreds of thousands of miles had never happend - A low side in a corner due to some hazard. Kind of feel this one wasn't too much my fault. I could have been going slower due to the pavement I suppose. The big one - I could have had my sunglasses off. After leaving Jerome I remember thinking to myself, 'I wonder if I should stop and take off my sunglasses?' While the sun was low, it had not set yet. But I was in the shade of the mountain. So while not dark, the shade combined with the crappy road surface and I would have had better visibility without the sunglasses. I didn't remove them because in another 5-10 minutes I would be crossing the top of the mountain and in sunlight again. Lesson learned there. I am still not too sure I would have seen the gravel even with my sunglasses off, but I might have.

I am just bummed about my poor FJR. Hope I can fix her.

Man that just blows !! Looks like you did the gear thing right and still got scraped up but it could have been worse. Glad your ok and hope the "04" is repairable. That bike is a legend :)

Regards

Scooper

Hell of a report Scooter. I was really enjoying your nice pics and remembering when my wife and I did a tour of Northern AZ on a wing a few years back when BAM there you are all bloody!

I know you like that ole whore but it's you we want to see ok. Good pics on the scene of the spill. Heal up fast and I do hope the Feejeer isn't totaled as I want to see it at SW-FOG. Doug

Boy, it can go bad real quick! I just started being able to ride the twist'ys up by oatman without it being in me head about the small crash I had in death valley! (had this feeling it's gonna happen again) Gonna be ride'n up in big bear this coming weekend & I'm gonna ride extra carefull after seein this! (duke will be extra vigalent too!)

GEEK! Nice Ride Report and Recap of Events! It can happen to the best and the worst of us! Glad that you're OK and I believe Whore is fixable. And thanks for the Caesar Salad last night, my favorite!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus Scooter! Glad to hear you're OK. Sorry to here the Whore was bunged up.

Man, this sucks, but as you point out, could have been way worse. Hope folks take heed...

Keep us posted on the fall out.

I am just glad you are relatively OK.

Bikes can be fixed/replaced, road rash heals up.

(I don't know if that face can ever be repaired, though.) :p

....... The other goal I had was to finally try out my new DSLR camera ....
IMG_5298-1.jpg

IMG_5299-1.jpg

Well, new DSLR photographer or not, you have a real twisted way of getting intense pictures.

Glad you're OK skootie, ....and you're still my hero ...more than ever. Riding 160miles to the hospital and then home -capturing pictures of the carnage ....I like your style.

Cheers to you getting back in the saddle soon ..Keep On Truckin'

Great pics up to the crash! Glad you weren't hurt worse! Try loosening the triple clamps with the front tire off the ground and see if it will straighten up. I've had forks twist in the clamps with no damage before. Retorque the stem nut afterwards. You might be that lucky.

Greg, Greg, Greg...... DAMNIT !!!!

Do NOT scare our collective asses like this, ok?

So glad you are ok, it certainly could have been much worse. Remember - Advil is your friend. Please heal up quickly.

I just happen to have a wrecked 05 in my garage - and I'm pretty sure the forks are straight. Just in case.

Nice report Greg, but the pictures were so-so. Something about the subject matter was difficult to look at.

I flipped a V-Twin in gravel hidden by low fog in a right hand turn once. Quite a surprise as you sail through the air thinking What?!!

Srry about the rash. It hurts.

I gave up flip helmets after I found mine slightly open though I thought it latched.

Was that the same jacket you wore at WFO?

Heal up and let us know if we can help in some way.

Damn Greg! Don't ya know there are easier ways to get attention?

Sucks to hear this man.. I tried to call but ya wasn't around.

Gotta echo the same as others... You must be one tough Hombre to ride that far after that dust up!

:jester:

I hates me some gravel in the turn. Cut lip and road rash? You'll be good as new - for whatever that's worth - in no time! +1 on the Advil, unless you have some oxycodone laying around.

First, since you took the brunt of the collision on your face....nothing important was damaged.

JUST KIDDING! :eek:

Road rash is most uncomfortable. The scenario of your sliding and tumbling and the jacket failing was one of the main reasons I went with Cycleport. In my case the riding pants opened but.....

Modular helmets are nice but I'm fearful of the helmet opening, just as you've indicated. Also, like you, I don't want to be any uglier. :blink:

AND...sunglasses on with the sun setting to my right is why I didn't see the trail of water in the intersection and had a "wash out" just like yours. It looks like the road was sealed and graveled and what remains are the few gravel remnants, just enough to lose the front end.

I'm glad you're alright, Greg. No guard rail would have been worse. BTDT!

The bike: First, try loosening the triple clamps and rotating the fork tubes. My bet is they are bent. "Flipper" likely hit the guard rail left-side-front-tire-first and flipped up (or over) breaking the right riding light. Either way, it's been through some major trauma. Inspect the rear sub-frame. No doubt the front stay is bent.

Heal, my friend. It's normal for the muscles to respond with aches and pains on the 2nd-3rd day, plus the adrenaline that has to be re-absorbed into your system (which usually causes your joints to ache).

The good new is that you're still here and you'll ride again. :yahoo:

M