Great Ride in Arizona High Country

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we have get-offs on the dirt bikes, we call it "taking a soil sample". Nice asphalt sample!! Happy to hear you're ok. Good luck with your bike.

Are going to take that from Smitty?

DAMN DUDE!

Glad your OK! Hope you can get the dirty old whore back on the road!

As for the modular, after my get off, I went with a full face. Even though I didn't have a failure of the chin bar, (didn't hit my head when I landed) I decided not too push it.

Best of luck with healing and the bike.

Greg

Greg,

Glad you're OK, I guess that is ultimately the most important issue. Perhaps a new '09 or even a new '10 will be in your near future as the damage shown in the photos clearly surpasses the book value of your machine being repairable.

The one issue I didn't see addressed was the survival of your new camera. It apparently was unscathed and functioned perfectly.

Is it true that the older you get the more it hurts

Greg... "Keep the rubber side down" is more than a catchy phrase! :rolleyes:

Very happy to see you're up and posting after, yet another, slap-grind-bang! I'll loan you my guardian angel as I'm SURE yours needs a break.

Mend quickly Brother!

SkooterG, I'm glad your okay. From your Ride Report, I've gotten a few Hmmm type thoughts on your experience.

1. Dang I also have a HJC module helmet (perhaps it's time to look at something different).

2. I also wear my sunglass a lot (perhaps the Wiley X type might be a good idea).

3. I'm thinking my upgrade to a Cycleport jacket was a good idea (even if it was used). :)

4. Perhaps I should also look at upgrading my First Gear HT overpants to Cycleport as well.

5. I'm thinking my (weak ass) Tip Over Guards would not have done shit with that kind of impact.

6. Since I'm riding more and more by myself (dam tour), perhaps a Spot might be a good idea.

Again, I happy to see you'll okay and looking to ride soon.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Skoot, glad to hear you're ok!

I know that road well, as I've been bitten by that same phenomenon on a bicycle on that same road (riding downhill to Jerome. I grew up and graduated HS in Prescott Valley)

One data point on the helmet...I suspect you 'glitched' and it wasn't closed. I recently retired an HJC Symax and as a curiosity I inserted a 5lb and a 2.5lb beanbag, fastened the chinstrap and dropped it off my 2nd story balcony onto dead grass. Stayed closed. same results the 2nd time. I then stuffed a t-shirt into the neck and chucked it down the road as hard as I could. The visor exploded and it was badly beat up, but the chinbar DID NOT come open. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme, but I think the metal latches are better than alot of skeptics give them credit for.

SkooterG needs to ride the Hondarosa MX track to develop some dirt skills! :fuck: :rofl:

Or fit him up with knobbies before he goes back road exploring. :rofl:

Looks like you got away with one there. It could have been a whole lot worse. Why did the jacket go up your arm? Did the cuff area fail?

Hope the ol'bike is rebuildable. You could also take it to a GMD Computrack and have them check/straighten the frame. Racers use them all the time.

Damn skoot, sure glad it wasn't worse...this could happen to any of us...heal up fast. The feej, well by the looks of it, she may have had the last outing. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you're OK for the most part. You don't sound like it's gonna keep you down. Don't know about that bike though :eek:

Doesn't the HJC have metal latches? Makes me wonder if my Nolan would be any better. I sure love the flip up though.

We've had so much snow this year in NM. the roads still have alot of cinder/salt on the shoulders and it gets kicked onto the road on weekends with all the traffic. It'll be late july before i feel comfotable riding hard and fast in the mountians this year. Or else I'll look like scooter too. Get well and ride safe brother!

Just some observations:

I've been pondering your crash as well as my little spill.... the difference being you were at speed, I wasn't.

It seems if one has a tip-over like mine, the major injury is to the hip area (not including any strains) & possibly the hands/wrists.

In a moving crash, it's anyone's guess... highside, lowside, head-on, etc. A lot of variables come into play including road surface, road surroundings, obstacles, ATTGATT, speed, etc.

Helmets come into play at some point, of course. I like my full-face Bell because it's very lightweight, however I also like my Nolan 102 because of the convenience, even though it's much heavier.

Besides the 'standard' ATGATT, here's what I do to help reduce the off-chance injury.

1. Tight fitting helmet (no matter what type). Very little if no side to side play.

2. Cuffed gloves. After looking at Greg's coat sleeve, I think that part of the injury might have been prevented by full-cuffed gloves. My gloves cover 4-6 inches up my wrist & sleeve, making it very hard for the coat sleeve to slip out & up.

3. Even though all my pants as well as my full leather suit has hip pads, they are very thin (nearly useless). I have added the extra minute or so to put on my Bohn armored long pants (without the ship pads) or the Bohn armored shorts (the blue ones). I know if I had been wearing the Bohn stuff when I went down, I would not be limping around with a bruised hip bone.

I was just over 5 miles outside of Jerome when it happened.................
IMG_5298-1.jpg
What? You finally realized you are as ugly as that guy in the picture??? :p

Sorry to hear about the "...Whore". Glad you're okay, 'cause you ARE my hero!

Skooter,

Very sorry to hear of your accident- was right in the area on AZ 191 in the Apache forest about the same time you were in the area my trip post. Thanks for posting the pics and describing what happened to you. Is certainly a learning experience for us all and reminds us that even with tons of experience and skills that anything can happen :exclamation:

Ah fer shitsakes Howie!! Ya been in a cave? I bet ya paid Carver to post his tripe too din' ya?

Get with it ya seacow fuk!

Ol' sissyboy is prolly healed up and sure don't need reminding of his inability to ride without training wheels..

Beemerdons told me the wreck was staged... Scooty actually tipped over in his driveway an bumped his mug.

Get your shit together man! Yer making us established members look bad!

:jester:

Bust, I just cannot believe that RadioHowie, of all people, called someone ugly! If you remember, in mid-March my Son Seth and I met RH at an Irish Pub on the Disney World Boardwalk in Orlando. The waitress had set Seth and I at a table near the entryway. Steve was about a half hour late when he joined us. The hostess then said we three would be much more comfortable at a table in the back, all the way back. Finally, when we were just 3' from the kitchen door: The bartender came over and put a potted plant in front of RadioHowie, so none of the other patrons could see him. And he is calling SkootyG ugly??? RadioHowie, an absolutely Perfect Face for Radio!!!

Ah fer shitsakes Howie!! Ya been in a cave? I bet ya paid Carver to post his tripe too din' ya?

Get with it ya seacow fuk!

Ol' sissyboy is prolly healed up and sure don't need reminding of his inability to ride without training wheels..

Beemerdons told me the wreck was staged... Scooty actually tipped over in his driveway an bumped his mug.

Get your shit together man! Yer making us established members look bad!

:jester:

Wow, just saw this Scoot. You are lucky. This is a bad month for crash/tip overs, especially in the PNW where we've had four in the last month at least, after a long break. Couple of comments:

1. Call the authority responsible for the highway and alert them to the hazard. Maybe they will send a crew, maybe not, but the other comments suggest that you are probably not the only one to have crashed on this road. With the economy in the toilet still, wouldn't surprise me that states are lax on their highway repair.

2. +100 on the cycleport stuff and another reason for me to avoid swing aways. Glad your injuries were limited.

3. 6 crashes? Are you even still insured? I think for your next ride, you should dip the bike in Rhino liner, and install the 905 Crash guard deluxe model:

motorcyclerollcage.jpg

Get well and get riding soon.

Hi, Greg. I'm sorry about your crash. That's terrible news. And I hope you can recover your bike; I know what you mean by being fond of it. Hell, I SLEEP with mine and keep Fang in the garage. But that's a little off topic....

Listen to your body and get well soon.

JB

You really are unattractive. No question. I still love ya, man, and for that reason I do wish you'd knock this shit off.

Glad you're OK, bla, bla, bla. Fix the damn bike and I'll buy you a beer or seven.

Best wishes.