Greets from Indy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usnscpo

Reaction score
Been a lurker for quite a while awaiting a purchase. Well, the right FJR, at the right price, in the right color, in the right shape became available, so now I'm an owner! A first owner 2006 ABS in dark blue with 5800 miles from an older gent in immaculate shape. This past week I got down to business bringing unknown maintenance up to date. Brake, clutch, and coolant flush, oil/filter change, and TB sync. (The ABS purge was quite easy IMO). Pulled off all the fairings for detailing. Amazingly clean, no damaged wiring, odd farkles, hoses or strangeness found. However, did find a couple of fairing screws in odd places and noticed that a couple of the fairing screws looked to be aftermarket M4s that didn't quite match Yamaha screws. Was a little irritated that the owner had munged up a few of the hex sockets and nearly every plastic rivet had at least one leg bent or broken. Oh, and he torqued the snot out of most of the fairing screws. So I'm on a hunt for both the larger and smaller diameter screws, and a couple of the black ones used in the cockpit fairing, and, oh, say a million of that damned plastic rivets, cause they never last.

Anyhoo, glad to be aboard and hope to run into anyone who tools around Indiana.

The MSTA is pretty active in the Indy area (I used to live in Kokomo). They do Sunday morning rides to Brown County on a regular basis. 

Check them out at ridemsta.com

Welcome from Kansas. I got a kit from ebay for sport bikes that has all the screws, plastic "pops" I call them can be bought cheap also. Sounds like you got a great bike. 

Thx, Bill.  I'll have a look for ebay rivets. 

Had quite a time tracking down and fixing the slipping clutch.  Couple of oil changes, rebuilt the slave, nothing was helping.  Weirdly it was the clutch pack, the outter 2 and inner 2 fibers were smoked-- on a 5800 mile, 15yr old bike.  Really odd.  Steels good.  Once I got a new pack installed, all's well.

Cheers!

Welcome from central Ohio! There are a few others on this forum that are in the Indy area.

If you are free this weekend, there is a Tech Day up in Owosso, MI, on Saturday. Feel free to come up (ie, excuse to ride), stop in, say hi, meet folks, check out other FJRs, mebbe drink a beer. There is more information in a thread in the Midwest Regionals section. If ya can't make this one, Sooze and I will host another Tech Day this fall here in Marysville.

Thx BG99.  Owosso is a bit far for me on this short notice, but I sure appreciate the heads up!  Marysville is very doable, I'll try and keep an eye peeled for that one.

Cheers!