Group Ride - Vancouver to Nakusp?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cajone

Reaction score
I was thinking it would be fun to get a few riders together from the Lower Mainland, the Island and maybe WA to do the ride up to Nakusp. Anyone interested?

I'd be happy to do some organizing around that if there is enough interest.

What say you?

I was thinking it would be fun to get a few riders together from the Lower Mainland, the Island and maybe WA to do the ride up to Nakusp. Anyone interested?

What say you?
me curious

I have to be there by Thursday...

Last edited by a moderator:

What say you?
I'm in Surrey and will be leaving on the 18th, it would be nice to have a few others to ride with.

DaveS

I'll be heading over to Kelowna on the 15th or 16th. Doing some riding in the area for a few days prior to scout out construction etc. Then Kay and I will pop over from there on the 18th.

Sorry Dave.

I'm planning to do the ride on Thursday the 18th as well.
We will be visiting my wife's brother in Comox before the rally and will be leaving the Island probably on the 17th so I will keep an eye on this thread.
I am leaving CR on the 16th, and going via Duffy Lake Loop for some pre-rally fun. I'll honk as I ride by y'all ;)

We will be visiting my wife's brother in Comox before the rally and will be leaving the Island probably on the 17th so I will keep an eye on this thread.
I am leaving CR on the 16th, and going via Duffy Lake Loop for some pre-rally fun. I'll honk as I ride by y'all ;)
I was over the Duffy Lake Road last summer and the pavement is getting broken up pretty badly. I heard there is a plan to repave it though although I'm not sure when that will happen.

I was over the Duffy Lake Road last summer and the pavement is getting broken up pretty badly. I heard there is a plan to repave it though although I'm not sure when that will happen.
I have heard that as well. Then talking to a few guys from the interior that ride, they say it isn't pretty but the cracks are no biggie? I think by June there will be a few people I know who have done the loop and will be able to advise. It's my preferable route out as I did Hwy 3 last year (try to do a different route each time). Don't really want to do the slowest common denom. route thru the Fraser Canyon, although the Spences Bridge to Merritt road I haven't done in a while. All I know is I want to be in Vernon on the night of the 17th to visit a friend, and then take the Lumby road out to the ferry the next morning.

New pavement + lots of twisties = happy girl.

On the Duffy Lake road, watch out for those heavy wooden timber bridges on corners!! A little moisture a couple of years back created a major pucker event when my rear tire stepped out about 8 inches, it felt like 3 feet. Nice road, but watch out it is rough.

I'm not sure when I'm leaving yet.

It's that work thing......

I've double booked myself, SBS (Sport Bike South) is the same weekend in Osoyoos.

I'm over due for a visit, SBS will have to wait till next year.

Mark

We are going to be in the province about a week before the rally checking out the sights. I figure we will be very close to Naksup a day or two before the rally.

As Barb said... If you see us don't forget to wave!

Well, this thread has been hanging for several weeks and it looks as if we may have 2 to 4 riders depending who opts in (FJR MAC, FJR EH, NS Rider).

Sometime around the middle of May I'll check if there is any new interest and then post again to confirm who's in and who's out.

I was doing some surfing last night for sights to see and came across Bow Valley between Banff and Jasper.. ended up doing a Google image search and came across some Japanese tourist's photo site who travelled through Banff, Jasper, Kooteney, Waterton, Yoho and more.. he gave pretty explicit directions to some of his stops - and the scenery was STELLAR.

So much so that I'm serioulsy thinking of trashing my original route out through the Northern States and just doing a beeliner to BC so I can get an extra day or two in. I can always do the scenic route through the Northern States on the way home

Dammit, I need to take 3 weeks off!

I'm running a trio up from Seattle. (2 solos and a double). I'll be honest with you, I dunno if I want to make the group any larger. I could stretch it to 4 bikes (maybe 5), but my experience is that groups bigger than 5 bikes get to be a problem over longer distances.

Our plan is to leave Seattle on the 18th at a reasonable hour of the morning. We're in no giant hurry.

I was doing some surfing last night for sights to see and came across Bow Valley between Banff and Jasper.. ended up doing a Google image search and came across some Japanese tourist's photo site who travelled through Banff, Jasper, Kooteney, Waterton, Yoho and more.. he gave pretty explicit directions to some of his stops - and the scenery was STELLAR.
So much so that I'm serioulsy thinking of trashing my original route out through the Northern States and just doing a beeliner to BC so I can get an extra day or two in. I can always do the scenic route through the Northern States on the way home

Dammit, I need to take 3 weeks off!
Hey, Bungie, whadya think about shipping your bike out and back and spend all your time riding here in BC or the PNW? You'd have a blast!

I'm running a trio up from Seattle. (2 solos and a double). I'll be honest with you, I dunno if I want to make the group any larger. I could stretch it to 4 bikes (maybe 5), but my experience is that groups bigger than 5 bikes get to be a problem over longer distances.
Our plan is to leave Seattle on the 18th at a reasonable hour of the morning. We're in no giant hurry.
I tend to agree with you, 2Wheels. 2 to 5 riders in a group sounds about right. Otherwise there's just too much overhead in planning and organizing the ride.

Which way you going to go? I rode Hwy 20 in WA last year and that's a really nice ride. You could go out that way then up through Osoyoos to Nakusp.

Hey, Bungie, whadya think about shipping your bike out and back and spend all your time riding here in BC or the PNW? You'd have a blast!
Sacrilegious!

Actually, prolly a good idea - except for the 5 hrs on a plane heavily sedated and under armed guard - I don't fly.

That's my experience too. If there is a large group it is best to break into two smaller ones. Draws less LEO attention and is safer for all involved.