Group Ride - Vancouver to Nakusp?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running a trio up from Seattle. (2 solos and a double). I'll be honest with you, I dunno if I want to make the group any larger. I could stretch it to 4 bikes (maybe 5), but my experience is that groups bigger than 5 bikes get to be a problem over longer distances.
Our plan is to leave Seattle on the 18th at a reasonable hour of the morning. We're in no giant hurry.
I tend to agree with you, 2Wheels. 2 to 5 riders in a group sounds about right. Otherwise there's just too much overhead in planning and managing the ride.

Which way you going to go? I rode Hwy 20 in WA last year and that's a really nice ride. You could go out that way then up through Osoyoos to Nakusp.
None of us is scared of slab, so the first part of the trip will be up I-5 from Seattle to Bellingham, then NE to Abbottsford, then Hope, Merritt, Kamloops, Revelstoke, Nakusp. The 2-up bike is being piloted by a southern US flatlander. I don't want to wear them out on the first day. That would make the 2nd day even more dangerous on the Kamloops to Nakusp leg. We'll make the decision for additional excitement during/after the rallye.

I'm running a trio up from Seattle. (2 solos and a double). I'll be honest with you, I dunno if I want to make the group any larger. I could stretch it to 4 bikes (maybe 5), but my experience is that groups bigger than 5 bikes get to be a problem over longer distances.
Our plan is to leave Seattle on the 18th at a reasonable hour of the morning. We're in no giant hurry.

That's my experience too. If there is a large group it is best to break into two smaller ones. Draws less LEO attention and is safer for all involved.
IMO - any combo over 100 feet long is an invitation for cager stupidity.

That's my experience too. If there is a large group it is best to break into two smaller ones. Draws less LEO attention and is safer for all involved.

[SIZE=12pt]No doubt one of the 'smaller' groups could be a 'faster' group...how handy would that be?[/SIZE]

Look's like we have a change of plans. The wife's brother( he is in the military) will be away on course until the 19th so it looks like we won't be going to the Island until after CFR.

Look's like we have a change of plans. The wife's brother( he is in the military) will be away on course until the 19th so it looks like we won't be going to the Island until after CFR.
Too bad but we'll see you at the CFR. If we're not too drunk after CFR and we still like each other, maybe some would like to ride back to Vancouver together.

Just thought I'd update this from the original post back in February. Anyone still interested in riding in a small group from Vancouver to Nakusp leaving Vancouver early on June 18? There were a few possibles who indicated an interest a few months ago. Anyone still around?

The shortest route looks like Vancouver - Hope - Merritt (over Coquihalla) - Kelowna (over Connector) - Vernon - Nakusp (over Hwy. 6). I think Hwy.6 is one of the suggested rides for CFR. Total distance is about 680 km/420 mi. I'm interested in getting an early start, leaving Van around 7 or 7:30am in order to have the evening to relax in Nakusp.

Possible MEM and I might join up, but we may go out a day or two before. Dunno yet...

Dunno yet either. Will the docs let me out of the hospital soon enough to get my strength back? Will my Seattle bud's adoption app be approved at the "wrong" time? Will I get a new infection before CFR?"

I'll clear up a couple of things and let you know this week.

I'm heading up early Friday morning.

I'll be in Kelowna by noon to pick up (SO).

Then onto Vernon, where the fun begins!

We should be arriving Friday around 5-ish.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator: