Group Rides to CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get it started. If it works with are schedules, Kilroy and I are leaving Wednesday Sept the 19. We are coming from Minnesota. We just want to get their early to get a little more riding than usual. So if anybody close wants to join us, we can decide how/when to meet and make it a group. Keep us informed.

I plan on leaving Wichita, KS on Wednesday after work around 5-6 PM. Will probably ride up to Hays, KS (187 miles) that night grab a hotel room and get an early start (NLT 8 AM) on Thursday morning to Custer. On Sunday I want to get an earlier start for the 727 miles back to Wichita.

I'd be happy to meet up with anybody on the way up and certainly on the way home until our routes diverge.

If I am going to be able to make it (depends on how he wife is feeling, since she will be 7 months pregnant by then), I want to try and do an Iron Butt on the way out. However, if anyone wants to ride back towards the Chicago area starting on Sunday, I would like to make that part of the trip with a group.

Kilroy and Myself haven't worked out the exact route yet but we are in the process of making a route to go out to CFO if anybody is interested in joining us. The one thing we agree on so far is we are only going to go on I-90 ONLY if we have to. This is going to be a scenic route. So think about it. We are going to be headed out Weds the 19th of Sept.

devanator

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaving from N.E. Wisconsin (Appleton area) on Tuesday, plan is to ride to at least to Sioux Falls, find a place that evening and end in Custer on Wednesday.

Leaving from N.E. Wisconsin (Appleton area) on Tuesday, plan is to ride to at least to Sioux Falls, find a place that evening and end in Custer on Wednesday.
Leave a day later, or ride slower, and meet us in Niobrara wed night. See this Thread click

Look me up if you want to stay in the Sioux Falls Area Tues. I'm not far off Hwy 34 either would be glad to let you use the guest room or help you book a room nearby. I will be lucky to get headed to the CFO until Thursday morning myself.

If you make it to my area wed nite I'll see if I can get going early thurs. or meet up somewhere in South Dakota to finish your trip to Custer.

Kilroy and Myself haven't worked out the exact route yet but we are in the process of making a route to go out to CFO if anybody is interested in joining us. The one thing we agree on so far is we are only going to go on I-90 ONLY if we have to. This is going to be a scenic route. So think about it. We are going to be headed out Weds the 19th of Sept.

devanator

If you make it to my area wed nite I'll see if I can get going early thurs. or meet up somewhere in South Dakota to finish your trip to Custer.
Appreciate the offer but we have our route planned and we will not be heading down quite that far south. We are going across the middle of South Dakota then south to the Badlands then over to Custer and hope to be their Wednesday night if we can keep a steady pace. We just want to do as much riding out in the Hills as possible Thursday through Saturday.

devanator/Mike

Look me up if you want to stay in the Sioux Falls Area Tues. I'm not far off Hwy 34 either would be glad to let you use the guest room or help you book a room nearby. I will be lucky to get headed to the CFO until Thursday morning myself.
LOL, sounds like you need to join us in Niobrara... :D
-bvw.

I am leaving Buffalo Mn after work on the 11th. Tentative route is through North Dakota to Red Lodge, down through Bear Tooth Pass; and then through Yellowstone to Pocatello Idaho. From there, West to Wells Nevada and South to Yosemite over to Santa Cruz.

After a brief breather (and visit with my son) in Santa Cruz, I head to Reno, Salt Lake city. I have not yet figured out what route I would take from Salt Lake to Custer. I would appreciate recommendations and or riders from that area who could suggest a good route or who would wish to join me for the last leg of the trip. I plan on leaving California on Tuesday after noon or Wednesday; so as to arrive in Custer on Thursday. I know this is a rather circuitous route, but it appeared to me the best way to get some miles on the bike.

Perhaps I could join up with the folks heading East to MN for the return trip on Sunday.

Looking forward to visiting with fellow FJR people.

Bill

Tentative route is through North Dakota to Red Lodge, down through Bear Tooth Pass; and then through Yellowstone

I have a friend who is trying to talk me into doing this exact trip before the season ends. He has done the Bear Tooth Pass just about every year for the past 3-4 years. He takes that pass everytime he visits his sister in Montana. He loves it. He said if you go out that way it is a MUST DO.

Sounds like a nice trip. Bring us some pics on your camera for us to look at when you meet up with us in Custer.

devanator/Mike

I have not yet figured out what route I would take from Salt Lake to Custer. I would appreciate recommendations and or riders from that area who could suggest a good route or who would wish to join me for the last leg of the trip.
Well I don't live in the area but I did stay at a Holiday Inn...

Try this click here.

The highlights are Wind River Canyon and Hwy 16 across the Big Horn Mtns

Hey Rick i guess it would depend on how much time you have on your hands the quickest i would think would be straight across I 80 to cheyenne or pine bluff and head north. BUT if I had an extra day or so. Take 40 outta SLC like your heading for dinosaur turn north on 191 and go thur flaming river gorge pop out on I80 for a bit then jump on 287 and head east real nice scenary. Just double check these routes on a map, I quoting this from memory. Stan

Well I don't live in the area but I did stay at a Holiday Inn...

The highlights are Wind River Canyon and Hwy 16 across the Big Horn Mtns

Thanks Rick,

The Wind River Canyon and Hwy 16 across the Big Horn Mtns appears to be a great route. I appreciate the advise.

We will meet up in Custer.

Bill

Hey Rick i guess it would depend on how much time you have on your hands the quickest i would think would be straight across I 80 to cheyenne or pine bluff and head north. BUT if I had an extra day or so. Take 40 outta SLC like your heading for dinosaur turn north on 191 and go thur flaming river gorge pop out on I80 for a bit then jump on 287 and head east real nice scenary. Just double check these routes on a map, I quoting this from memory. Stan
Stan:

I think we have our route from your place to Holdrege figured out. Did you have suggestions for the route to Custer from there? I was going to take the quickest route according to the map programs, but I'm open to suggestions.

I guess the fastest route to custer would be to head north on 183 to I80 run west to ogallala hit 26 to northport and then straight up 385. This puts us right at 420 miles total for the day, even with a stop or two I can't see it taking longer than 6 hours. Which means if we leave Holdrege at 6am? this rolls us into custer at or around noon there time. We pick up an hour around ogallala ne. Speed limit on I80 in NE. is 75mph Hwy 26 is a so-so road but we won't be on it that long. 385 should be decent its a state route, but its been at least 5/6 years since I,ve been on it. Thats my best guess anyway if you have another preference or something you want to see along the way I'm all for it. P/S I shot you a pm about the feildsheer stuff, just wondered if you got it. Also I'll be working on my bike this weekend got my thottlemeister an puppies in but I'm waiting for my G2, want to do it all at the same time. Talk at ya soon. Stan

FWIW, if you're not sure about the construction of the roads you're planning to be on whilst riding from KS through NE to SD, check out - https://www.511nebraska.org/ndortip/index.jsp

I quickly read through this thread and didn't see any highways listed that are construction zones. I may have missed them or your route may change...

There are weather links on that site as well. Regional weather radar, etc.

While I would appreciate any donations you wish to make to the state coffers via the "Performance Awards" handed out by the friendly folks in grey-ish cars (HINT) - I hope you get through without even being nominated for such awards.