H2 SX SE Sport Touring bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The panniers are pretty close in volume to the FJR's.

What bothers me is the 5 gallon tank and 36mpg. I'm disappointed with both of those numbers, particularly the tank given the competition. I think they could have done better on both of those. I expect the supercharger will require premium gas, which is a consideration for former FJR owners, but not for many others.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/11/07/2018-kawasaki-ninja-h2-sx-first-look-15-fast-facts/

Still the ride is what will sell it. Waiting to find out about that.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuel range isn't that important on this bike. No one is going to ride that thing more than about 100 miles at a pop.

It probably rides like a roller coaster. For about 2 minutes, it's incredible. After than, I just want to get off....

I'm with Ludwig...Range is gonna suck, especially if the rider is on the throttle and spooling that super charger. The front is ugly as Hell,and I'm not sure I like the bags. The engine and electronic features sound awesome. Maybe the rest will grow on me. Maybe...

It sure is ugly. It might not look as bad in a different color scheme, but maybe not.

When I was younger the horsepower would be enough to get me to want one, so I think it will sell in the right market.

So, here's a bike with 200HP, ...and you're going to pick it apart for not having a big enough tank, or side cases?
Dude.
No, I just pick at the tank size/range. The OP is picking at the side cases. :)

HP isn't what matters to me. I'm more interested in torque. 101 ftlb is only 10 more than the FJR. I'd like to see if the curve is relatively flat or peaky. I do like the control/stability electronics, but worry about the increase in repairs that might lead to - think BMW.

Right now, I'm seeing at this as a sportbike with luggage, not a real sport-touring bike. I think it will be nicer than hppants is expecting. But it is never going to be popular with the IBA crowd due to comfort issues. Even after Russell starts making Day Long seats for it.

I'll be willing to test ride one when they come out. Maybe the exhaust won't scream "LOOK AT ME" Maybe the torque will kick in nice and low and it will have impeccable smoothness.

Well even on the FJR I'd still stop for fuel every 100-120 miles, stretch my legs, etc. And to be honest, I never did compute what kind of gas mileage I got on it. I'm betting I got around 38 mpg.

I did say the luggage "looked" small, they didn't mention capacity. First thing I'd get for it would be a top case anyway. ;)

The electronic control package, the speed shifter, cornering lights, all do look awesome. If they come up with a GPS option for that color screen, that be a good move.

I'd still like to take one out for a spin (a good 100 mile one)

This bike is on my list to test ride in April during Bike Week in Scottsdale. Although those test rides are more like a horseback ride at a dude ranch, I will at least get to sit a while, here the exhaust and maybe get it up to 65 mph. It appears and has the numbers to be a great bike for me, as even though I have an FJR, I ride the ZX14 and the FJR sits waiting for a buyer. I'm also not an IBA type rider, whom I would think would have no use for this bike. I avoid the slab when I can and when I find a nice canyon type road I often will stop in that area to run it multiple times and even consider a stay over for the next day before moving on to explore more. Usually when I find a road better suited for the sport side of Sport-Touring I see more sport type bikes loaded with stuff than I see touring bikes or those like the FJR that are labeled as Sport-Touring.

Also me and the wife are on the small side and would rather do without some stuff rather than pack to the hilt, so the torque should be plenty. And, when I'm solo, I think I would appreciate the 200 HP as that compares well with my ZX14R. I don't think the H2 will hurt the FJR sales, but not sure how long the FJR will hold on in the current market without some major changes.

But it is never going to be popular with the IBA crowd due to comfort issues.
Tell that to Kurt Worden on his Ninja 250! If memory serves he's finished 3 times and as high as something-like 20th....

But true, its unlikely that we'd see a field full of H2's regardless if someone figures out how to hang an aux tank to it or not.