Halogen rear tail/brake lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby

Reaction score
I was pulled over today because the right side of my tail/brake light was out. I did not get a ticket but I was curious as to why the light was out. When I pulled out the light fixture the answer was right there. I had a melted bulb holder! Installed were aftermarket High out put halogen bulbs. So now I either get a whole new wire harness or find a bulb retainer that fits and wire it in. Oh well it is going to rain this weekend anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was me, and Im only saying, I would order two new sockets from your Yamaha dealer (if you can), cut the wires and discard the old sockets (the other one is probably partially deformed as well), and solder the new sockets in place. A tedious job where you have to work but not so difficult. You can find the regular incandescent tail light bulbs for the fjr at Walmart, believe it or not.

Some would say, including yours truly, that it's better current managment to install LED tail lights and lose the old resistive, current burning incandescent bulbs. So whatever floats ur boat.

If it was me, and Im only saying, I would order two new sockets from your Yamaha dealer (if you can), cut the wires and discard the old sockets (the other one is probably partially deformed as well), and solder the new sockets in place. A tedious job where you have to work but not so difficult. You can find the regular incandescent tail light bulbs for the fjr at Walmart, believe it or not.
Some would say, including yours truly, that it's better current managment to install LED tail lights and lose the old resistive, current burning incandescent bulbs. So whatever floats ur boat.
So there is a way to install LED's into the curent OME configeration?

Keep in mind that the main harness plugs into the tail light harness at the rear left side of the tail along the grab bar area. You wouldn't be buying a complete harness for the bike, just that rear part. Probably not that bad. It's this part number - 5JW-84735-00-00 Cord, Assembly. Looks to be around $40, depending on where you order it. $33.24 plus shipping from these guys - Cheap Cycle Parts

I just got some stuff from them recently. Great prices and service.

Keep in mind that the main harness plugs into the tail light harness at the rear left side of the tail along the grab bar area. You wouldn't be buying a complete harness for the bike, just that rear part. Probably not that bad. It's this part number - 5JW-84735-00-00 Cord, Assembly. Looks to be around $40, depending on where you order it. $33.24 plus shipping from these guys - Cheap Cycle Parts

I just got some stuff from them recently. Great prices and service.

Thanks, after tearing the rear plastic off I can see that replacing the harness is a simple enough. Good thing I found that the two Halogen bulbs melted into the harness, I bet in a few more miles I would have had one HOT BIKE. I have the LED in now but had to take and move the ground wire directly to the socket for a connection , still on brake light on one side however. So I guess I will order the harness and put the LED's back in. They are bright and maybe God was watching over me again by having that cop stop me for no brake light.

Checked with Yamaha and the only thing available is the entire harness. Still not a bad price.