Handlebar riser nightmare

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAcracker

Reaction score
Handlebar riser nightmare

HELIBARS riser – Outstandingly horrible customer service and rude interaction
! It’s a shame to have to exclude a company whose product we originally touted.

History:

After purchasing our first FJR (2016 ES), we researched riser options to help provide more comfort for longer rides. I am over 6’ tall and the forward position of the stock bars are not conducive to longer rides. We started out testing the basic block style risers that simply increase the height of the bars (example). While an improvement, the possibility of bringing the bar back in addition to raising them seemed to be a better option. In this area there are two manufactures Helibars (USA) and MV Verholen (Germany).

Based on the research covering design, features and installation along with overall reviews the initial thought was to go with the and MV Verholen (Germany). The primary reason was installation and appearance. The specs of the MV and Helibars are very close overall. The tipping point is the while effective, the ugly brake line extension and the need fiddle with bleeding the brakes was a negative.

In the end the red blooded American in me change course and chose the Helibars, because it was an American product, it was available from Revzilla and I had a nice pot of Zilla-dollars to help pay for it. Ok maybe almost paying for it in full with Zilla-dollars was the real reason to go with second choice. I was happy with what I received and glad I stayed with American made!

Mini Product review:

Installation was mostly straight forward, but the quality of instructions for a “premium” product could be improved. The images were not bad though sometimes not clear enough to show all the details but the main negative is they are not formatted inline sequence with the written instructions. You must go back and forth between different pages of the words and then switch pages again to locate the corresponding pictures. The content was there but the presentation is lacking. Pretty typical for a small company to format content inhouse and batch print instructions on an office printer. I have seen worse from bigger companies so not a huge issue.

On the first or second test ride I called the company and spoke to the owner and got some clarification on some things and overall it was a successful and good call. I appreciated speaking to the main man and came away satisfied.

Shortly after the installation we took a 1700-mile road trip, two up, through several states including our first time experiencing the Tail of the Dragon. There were no issues with controlling the bike, and overall, I think the risers where worth the effort. Pretty sure any of the 6 plus hour days riding are much better than had we done so with the stock bar location. The confidence was good, and we even tested a top speed run while in the UP of Michigan on a follow up trip. There was one oddity that seemed weird. When manually maneuvering around or in and out of the garage, it feels like the weight and balance of the bike were off compared to the handlebars in the stock or simple riser position. I got used to it, but in the beginning the bike felt noticeable heavier and less balanced when waling it around.

The follow-up and discovery:

We purchased a second FJR (2021 ES) from a fellow forum member (Mazdaman3). He setup the bike with several of the of the options we would have normally had to do out of pocket. New tires (Road 6 GT) and believe it or not the same handlebar risers I was now accustomed too (helibars)! This bike is getting setup the same as the original including down to the same accessories from electronics right down to the tank bag.

The test ride went well, and while familiar there was something different about how this bike felt compared to our 2016 FJR. The culprit was the handlebar angle was set to the narrowest option instead of the widest, which should be an easy fix. The bike was still comfortable enough for my second run on the Tail of the Dragon before bringing it home. It was also the wife’s first solo run. She earned her patch on her MT-07, with SNOW on the ground!

Upon returning home I started to adjust the handlebars from the narrowest setting to the widest and discovered not only would the bars not go to the widest setting there was a variance from the left to right side.

Helibars on 2016 FJR set at maximum width

1682296263539.png

Helibars on 2021 FJR set at maximum width

1682296278745.png

Note: On the 2016 FJR the Helibars are set on option 3 (the widest) with 2 hash marks plus extra space clearly visible. Due to the shadow you may need to zoom into the portion showing the right handle bar. But on the 2021 FJR the Helibars do not clearly show 2 hashmarks, and there is a difference in spacing from the left and right handlebars.

One the surface this appears to be a minimal measurement, but small increments of degrees accumulate to increased width measurements quickly as you extend out to the bar ends. Frankly I was surprised by how much.

You may wonder what is the issue? Originally, I felt the same and did not initially pursue the issue. However, after riding the bike and regularly having handlebar to tank bag contact which causes actuation with control buttons it was confirmed something needed to be done.

The interaction and end of our support and dealing with an ugly company

Disclaimer:
I have waited more than 3 weeks to share my experience to make sure I was not simply going to post a company bashing diatribe.

After reconfirming the handlebars would not go any wider and the left and right side mismatch of the hash marks were assured, I called Helibars. I did not get the owner this time and was informed I should email pictures and when the owners returned from a trip they would call me the upcoming Monday. I explained it was not an emergency and if it was Tuesday that would be fine. I figured there would be some catching up needed after returning from a trip.

I did not receive a call or follow-up email and waited until the following Wednesday to reach out and touch base on what they thought. I called and asked for the person I originally spoke to the previous week and was transferred. I reintroduced myself and identified why I was calling and asked if they had seen the pictures and if they showed enough detail. The response was quick and curt that they did see the pictures there they had never seen anything like that before and there was noting they could do. Period and attempted to end the call. It’s like he was angry at me and they only produce 100% perfect quality control and there is zero chance anything could be amiss with the part. I asked again is there anything that could be done? Is there a way to proceed? The individual continued to raise his tone and got uglier before stating “this call is done …..!”

Struggling to controlled my shock and natural instinct to escalate myself, I said, “Wait a minute, what have I done or said to be spoken to like this and to end the call”? Why are you trying to hang up? I was then reminded they had not had a problem like this in the past and then accused me of attempting to scam them into giving up a free part. He continued to escalate his tone even further. The back and forth lasted a couple more minutes when I got tired of being insulted and falsely accused of trying to get a “free part”. I even suggested a no risk to them option of putting a hold on my CC and doing a part exchange so they could inspect the part personally. This suggestion was immediately rejected. My thinking is maybe it’s a one-off issue or maybe there was something they could confirm the part was not mis stamped or hava a machining glitch and would be able to suggest a possible issue with the stock handle bars, etc? What is the risk? Why are they so convinced someone is attempting to get a free part? Despite the conversation not deescalating the gentleman asked me when I purchased the risers and he exploded further when I said I had just recently purchased this 2021 bike and the risers were pre-installed.

It was clear this guy not only was the rudest person I have ever spoken to on the phone there was no way he was going to even attempt to find a mutually beneficial solution. I then asked to speak to the owner and mentioned, he and I had spoken in the past and it was a positive experience. He put me on hold and upon returning, informed me the owner had no interest in talking to me and again reassured me they were not going to send out a free part and ended the call.

I am still in disbelief a company small or large would have such a horrible approach to customer service. Zero acknowledgement there might have been a glitch in a single part, and zero attempt to work with a customer. Even speaking to them like they are doing something wrong when at most a part exchange or even suggestions of what to explore on the bike that may be a potential cause. It’s unexpectable and I will not recommend this company or their product to anyone in the future.

My advice is if you feel their product is the best fit for you, purchase it through a reseller, such as Revzilla, that will stand behind the products they sell. If you come across Helibars as a used or preinstalled part, I sincerely hope it’s one of their good parts and you never need to call and request customer service because it’s not present at this company. At least if you inquire about the possibility there could be anything slightly amiss with one of their parts.

VA Cracker, nice writeup. It's a shame you had to go through this ordeal and such poor customer service. Have you removed the bars from the
Heli Bar plate? Sometimes the dowel pins elongate the holes and make for a sloppy and loose setting. I bought oversized dowel pins and re drilled the bars and the Heli plate where I wanted the bars pinned. worked like a charm. Good luck and hopefully you won't encounter a service rep like that again.

Well, that totally sucks. I would try to contact the owner again. Perhaps by email? I am a HeliBars believer. And a year or two ago I contacted them for some assistance and they were very helpful. Sorry to hear you experience has been so bad.

VA Cracker, nice writeup. It's a shame you had to go through this ordeal and such poor customer service. Have you removed the bars from the
Heli Bar plate? Sometimes the dowel pins elongate the holes and make for a sloppy and loose setting. I bought oversized dowel pins and re drilled the bars and the Heli plate where I wanted the bars pinned. worked like a charm. Good luck and hopefully you won't encounter a service rep like that again.

I understand being a product fan boy of an overall good product, but that doesn’t mean you except being treated in such a manor. Wish I had recorded the call. It would be more shocking to hear than read about.

Yes I removed both bars. This bike is a 2021 with under 7k miles when I got it. Neither the helibars plate or handlebars have any obvious wear or deformations. The installation appeared as good if not better than that what I did on my 2016 FJR.

My suspicion is it was a one off issue with this particular plate or possibly Yamaha had an issue with their manufacturing and we have a tolerance staking problem.

The crux is the vendor of the part took zero interest in trying to help determine and/or remediate an issue. Worse yet they treated a customer terribly. Not sure I’ve ever been spoken to in such an ugly manner.

I might be willing to work with them provided they apologized and actually tried to look at things. For now I stand by, their product can be good but beware if you make them think you’re implying their product is less than perfect.

Sorry to hear that issue, I have HeliBars on my '18 and the worked as designed. I can't speak of any customer service issues with them, other they are (probably rightfully so) very proud of their products, albeit expensive ones.
When I installed mine I did have a bit of an issue trying to get it to the adjustment points that I needed to, and they very nicely worked with me on the phone. So I never had any concerns about their customer service.
As to the brake line issue, you really don't have to rebleed at the calipers, just at the top end where the new connection is made. And that worked well and easily for me.
To address the cosmetics issue which I also didn't like, this is what I did - see the attached pic.

Attachments

• 20230424_132131.jpg
    20230424_132131.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
Sorry to hear that issue, I have HeliBars on my '18 and the worked as designed. I can't speak of any customer service issues with them, other they are (probably rightfully so) very proud of their products, albeit expensive ones.
When I installed mine I did have a bit of an issue trying to get it to the adjustment points that I needed to, and they very nicely worked with me on the phone. So I never had any concerns about their customer service.
As to the brake line issue, you really don't have to rebleed at the calipers, just at the top end where the new connection is made. And that worked well and easily for me.
To address the cosmetics issue which I also didn't like, this is what I did - see the attached pic.
neat trick to cover the hose.

Upon disassembly, did you check dimensions and angles of the machining? Mine were installed at the Maine factory and I was given a full tour. Definitely not a small shop. Precision machinery and production all around. I'm just wondering, like others, if the hash lines were punched a little off. I tend to use any indicators as merely a guide, only.

Dunno about nightmare - seems a bit dramatic. But if you want a better solution, look into ABM so that you can use all the cheap normal MC stuff for bars and risers.

I put one on my 2014, and it doesn't even come close to lining up correctly. I made 7 adjustments before it felt correct. Used measurements from the tank to the bar ends. I guess I better not call them and tell them that their part isn't measuring up!

Upon disassembly, did you check dimensions and angles of the machining? Mine were installed at the Maine factory and I was given a full tour. Definitely not a small shop. Precision machinery and production all around. I'm just wondering, like others, if the hash lines were punched a little off. I tend to use any indicators as merely a guide, only.
I was wondering about if the hash marks might be off some. Even asked if that could be a possibly.

I did some admittedly less than exactingly precise measurements on several inspections before reaching out but we are looking at millimeters of potential variances. Hence why I reached out for help from the company To get guidance, suggestions etc.

The main clue other than hash mark variations is the contact with the tank bag and comparing it between the two bikes. It’s clear my original risers are slightly wider. I wasn’t happy with the consistency of the other measurements I took. And no I did not remove both and compare. That is significantly more work than should have to be done without direction and cooperation from support.

Dunno about nightmare - seems a bit dramatic. But if you want a better solution, look into ABM so that you can use all the cheap normal MC stuff for bars and risers.
seems what’s lost in the soup here is I never though or claimed the product was inherently bad as a whole. The issue is treatment received when simply asking for help to resolve an issue with a part they produced. my written description does not due justice to how i was spoken to on the phone. If it was face to face you‘d have to be Jesus to avoid escalation to extreme reactions Though I did maintain my cool and did not reciprocate the treatment I was receiving They may make 99.x percent a great product. But unprovoked yelling and false accusations of unscrupulous intentions from a customer is never acceptable way to treat people reaching out for help

Pretty sure I am about to be embarrassed so forgive my ignorance but what is ABM?

I put one on my 2014, and it doesn't even come close to lining up correctly. I made 7 adjustments before it felt correct. Used measurements from the tank to the bar ends. I guess I better not call them and tell them that their part isn't measuring up!
glad to hear I am not crazy and this was not a one off issue. better yet you have them working for you So that’s great!

i have not removed mine but in the heat of the moment I almost sent the riser back with some choice words. I think if I only had one bike iit would be less noticeable and annoying. But I have 2 identically setup bikes. One is great the other has thinns like the cruise button randomly turned on and off doing slow speed maneuvers along with other buttons pushed so it’s noticeable jumping between the two.

ride safe brother.

They make a replacement triple tree top that allows you to mount normal handlebars. This is mine, with some offset risers added.
View attachment 4158
That’s interesting.

Not likely I’ll ever buy from someone again that tried to hang up on me and refused to have any interest in helping to resolve an issue. So trying a new company is the most likely option if we get another bike.

Pretty sad for helibars really. Originally really enjoyed their product. They also had an announcement not long ago about needing bikes to build new products for. We were trying to arrange a trip up there and contact them to let them use my wife’s little bike as it was in the list of bikes they wanted. Obviously and sadly that isn’t going to happen now.

Ride safe! If you’re in Northern VA area and interested in area riding tours don’t hesitate to reach out. We hit the mountains here, WV, MD and working out as we explore.