Handlebar Vibration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltB

Reaction score
I just had new Avons put on my 04. Didn't notice any problem until the following week.At 40-50 miles an hour if I take my hands off the gripes there is a severe shaking of the bars. Took it back rebalanced the tire,took off the weight on tire.Still have the same problem. Going above 60 the bars seem to steady. Anyone seem to have any ideas?

Tell you scoot to cut it out. If it continues, sell it. Otherwise, a steering dampener might help you out. Did they remember to put air in the tire? Just curious. I am sure there are going to be responses that say, "Those type tires come out of the box with a wiggle".

U got a top box? if you do, take it off and try again, see if the shaking goes away. As stupid as this sounds, mine shakes w/box and does not w/o the box--stranger things have happened I guess. :eh:

This is a commom problem w/ the Avons. Must have something to do w/ the tread pattern. A little unnerving at first but you don't really notice it if you keep your hands on the bars where they should be.

These tires are wonderful dry & wet... & the wear... well you probably won't get too much better out of too many tires that go on this large bike. THer have been varying opinions on this, too. But them Avons... bet you like 'em.

The Avon tire has induced a headshake upon deceleration through the 40-50mph range on every set I have mounted so far. This only happens when both hands are off the bars.

Until this last set I just installed. The bar shake has now completely gone and to make it even more confusing (for me anyway) is that the front tire required no weights during balancing. Rear tire took about 1 ounce. All tires balanced on the same electronic Coats machine.