Handlebar wobble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zoom Zoom

FJR 2006

I rode my FJR first time back home, covered 300 miles and throughly enjoyed the ride. This is a great bike, no doubt about it.

One problem though; My hands really got tired so I lifted both of them for a few seconds and noted with horror that the handlebar was wobbling. The wobble went away when i put my hands back. It never happened on any previous bikes.

Is this normal?

Zoom Zoom

Check the front tire pressure...check pressures on both tires while you're ar it. But the condition you describe can easily be caused by a low front.

I believe you will find this topic covered to excess in this recent thread: CLICK

My take is that it is >90% likely to be tire related. Check tire pressures. What brand tires? How worn? Is the bead line exposure equal on both sides of the tire and evenly spaced around the rim?

Tire pressure, and worn front tire. Doesn't even have to be worn out, just mid-life or more.

It's not a problem, really. You'll probably also find that it occurs at some speeds and not others.

It will go away when the front tire gets replaced, and will probably gradually return as that tire nears the last 3/4 of its life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run your hand on the outside of the front tire tread, (either side), and from the front of the tire up over the top. If you feel "sharp" edges on each tread block, your tire is cupped. Replace.

Here we go again , its a FJR thing , new tyre , old tyre will make no difference , loaded , unloaded , top box , no top box

I went through it with my 06 FJR , it didn't really matter I only had to touch the bars with one hand and it went away

But I got a bug in my head to get to the bottom of it , tried all the above , I tried several makes of tyre , its not the tyres .

After I up graded the suspension both front and rear , it never did it again

Just forget about it , never let go with both hands at the same time at speed below about 90 Kph ( 55mph ) or there abouts

Here we go again , its a FJR thing , new tyre , old tyre will make no difference , loaded , unloaded , top box , no top box
I went through it with my 06 FJR , it didn't really matter I only had to touch the bars with one hand and it went away

But I got a bug in my head to get to the bottom of it , tried all the above , I tried several makes of tyre , its not the tyres .

Just forget about it , never let go with both hands at the same time at speed below about 90 Kph ( 55mph ) or there abouts
I think tires DO matter. In the past few weeks, I installed and balanced PR2s on my bike and a friend's. We both had the bar slap thing going on previously and now none at all. Perfect!

Yeah, same here. It's always appeared near the end of the life of the front tire, and it's always gone away wih a new tire. Just my experience.

Not to say some suspension weirdness wouldn't be involved, too, as apprently was jacko's case.

I checked the Tire pressure which, was 25 each. Adjusted the pressure but the wobble remains.

Although the tires are not really worn but I ordered a set of PR2. Lets see.

ZoomZoom

I checked the Tire pressure which, was 25 each. Adjusted the pressure but the wobble remains.
Although the tires are not really worn but I ordered a set of PR2. Lets see.

ZoomZoom
25 psi is way too low. If they were used for any length of time at that pressure, I would bet the tires are seriously cupped. I suspect the new skins will solve your problem.

Yea, 25 is too low. A standard pressure seen around here is 42 rear, 40 front (2up) or 40/40. There's plenty of variations around those figures, but 25 is definitely not for this bike...especially on a heavy front end.

Had the same problem the tire was about 50% I got a the tire balanced and the weight split on on eatch side of the rim, problem solved.

I have also tighten the nut on the triple had bearing, it could be turned more then 1/2 with only two fingers. Some Yamaha`s have to mutch play in the bearing inner ring, there is a German company that has made a patented nut to overcome this problem.

https://www.emilschwarz.de/web/doc/home/ind...ukte&id=201

I don`t know if this is a problem on the FJR ? But any play in the bearing or tripple clamp shaft will make problem of this kind.

I tried all of the above , even a couple of sets of different tyres , brand new straight out of the shop hadn't even travelled half a mile on new tyres , wobble was still there , replaced head stem bearings with tapered bearings , removed Top Box and Side Cases , different tyre pressures you name it

The suspension up grade fixed it , I traded the 06 on a 09 late last year , I ride with the bloke that bought my 06 , it still is ok no wobble

by the way the up grade to the 09 was the only way I could fix the bloody crap throttle on the 06

Jacko:

What suspension upgrade did you perform?

ZZ

I suspect that jacko's fixing his wobble by suspension upgrades isn't the whole story. I suspect that something that was not assembled right or adjusted right and it got corrected during the suspension upgrade.

Fast and easy ZZ, next time you are on your new to you FJR that someone else has wrenched on -- take a look at how much of your fork tubes stick up through the top clamp of the triple tree. Both sides should be even and there should be just the very top of the fork cap sticking above the top triple tree clamp, aprox 1/16". This will at least confirm that the forks are properly installed. If the forks are to high above the triple tree clamp it will change the suspension geometry which will indeed have an affect on steering and stability.

I think another set of tires should remain your first thing to try to fix your problem after ruling out assembly problems. As others have said, 25 psi is way too low and may have damaged your tire's tread.

I suspect that jacko's fixing his wobble by suspension upgrades isn't the whole story. I suspect that something that was not assembled right or adjusted right and it got corrected during the suspension upgrade.
Fast and easy ZZ, next time you are on your new to you FJR that someone else has wrenched on -- take a look at how much of your fork tubes stick up through the top clamp of the triple tree. Both sides should be even and there should be just the very top of the fork cap sticking above the top triple tree clamp, aprox 1/16". This will at least confirm that the forks are properly installed. If the forks are to high above the triple tree clamp it will change the suspension geometry which will indeed have an affect on steering and stability.

I think another set of tires should remain your first thing to try to fix your problem after ruling out assembly problems. As others have said, 25 psi is way too low and may have damaged your tire's tread.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe there was anything wrong with the bike before the suspension up grade , if my bike was the only one that wobbled yeah ok

I believe they all do it , if you never let go of the bars with both hands at a about 55mph or less you will never know

" ZZ " my suspension up grade , I weighed everything that I carry on the bike when on a extended ride , including myself and pillion in our riding gear , then went and talked to a suspension shop , they re-valved both the rear shock and front forks with heavier springs front and rear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe there was anything wrong with the bike before the suspension up grade , if my bike was the only one that wobbled yeah ok

I believe they all do it , if you never let go of the bars with both hands at a about 55mph or less you will never know

" ZZ " my suspension up grade , I weighed everything that I carry on the bike when on a extended ride , including myself and pillion in our riding gear , then went and talked to a suspension shop , they re-valved both the rear shock and front forks with heavier springs front and rear
If you changed the suspension and the issue went away the problem was definetly suspension related. I know for a fact they don't all wobble as mine will only do it if my front pressure is low and I've never upgraded the suspension. Does your '09 wobble as well? Maybe a gen II thing? :dntknw:

Ionbeam:

It is surprising that the forks were sticking about an inch out from the upper tree clamp. Is that normal?

I followed your method and exposed only about 1/18' or less. I have not tried the bike yet.

Would others please include their insights. Are the forks supposed to be sticking out an inch above the top clamp?

Thanks

ZoomZoom

Last edited:

Latest posts