Happy rat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very nice '05 (ABS version by the look of it), and just 14,000 miles!!
Worth checking to make sure that the rear ABS is working. A fair number had issues over the years. Failure generally means you have normal braking but no ABS. Flushing the system with fresh fluid every year or two helps as does "exercising" the ABS from time-to-time - either on a sandy (or wet) parking lot or via the ABS "jumper". You can find more info here if you need it.

At some point, you might want to look into preventative replacement of the cam chain tensioner. A few Gen I and early Gen II bikes experienced CCT failures which does VERY BAD things to the engine.

Check that recalls were done (VIN through Yamaha). Other than that, with relatively simple routine maintenance, it should be good for another 150,000 miles.

I still remember the day back in the fall of 2006 when I picked up my ‘05, used, looking much like yours does now. Oh, what a long strange trip it‘s been. Put 90k miles on that bike, moved to a 2014 ES and I’m 55k into that one. Never a serious problem on either of them.

Sit back, and enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the heads up on the ABS pump. The bike had new fluid in the front reservoir but after getting it into the ABS a few times I could see it discolored, I'll do a few more cycles to get it all out. Great tip RossKean, thank you!

05 Gen 1. Bought’r 6 years ago with 10,000 on the clock. While she was and is a beauty, sitting for many years was not kind to the mechanicals but she’s all fixed up and I’m still love’n this bike. As for the ABS, I’m generally a fan, but not so much on the 05. Never really liked how it engaged. Then,,, this year it quit working and honestly I’m considering not attempting to fix it as I like it better.
ENJOY!