Hard Case Trim discolorization

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yowie

Reaction score
The trims on the FJR hard cases I bought yesterday are badly discolored.
Toying with easy cosmetic fixes.
Thinking of masking around them and just painting them black.
Is this a common problem? If so, what's a popular fix?
Cheers

Is this black vinyl trim? If so, possibly due to wax. Mineral spirits might help. A product like "Back to Black" is pretty effective once you have removed residues.

It seems to be some sort of corrosion inside the artificial chrome plastic trims.

If it's the black plastic, try some Mother's Back to Black. Works great and doesn't compromise plastics like I've had ArmorAll do on external bits.

Unfortunately the discoloured/corroded stuff is on the inside of the otherwise clear trims. I fear there;s no hope. Actually I know there is none. They are f#ck*d!!! Just wondered if any other folks had had the same issue and whether there was a known fix.
Well, my known fix is going to be painting the f*&^ers black!

Thanks to all

Off to get paint and have done with it.

Yowie :)

Well they are now gloss black - and to be honest I don't really like 'em that way. A local panel shop reckons they are only stuck on with double-sided tape. Must be really good tape 'cos they don't want to move!
Anyway, I reckon I'll get a heat gun onto 'em and try to persuade them to come off and to get to like living in the bin.

Well they are now gloss black - and to be honest I don't really like 'em that way. A local panel shop reckons they are only stuck on with double-sided tape. Must be really good tape 'cos they don't want to move!
Anyway, I reckon I'll get a heat gun onto 'em and try to persuade them to come off and to get to like living in the bin.
I would try a hair drier first - heat gun can get hot really fast and blister paint. A piece of thin monofilament fishing line under the trim usually works well to remove stuck emblems without ruining paint. "Goo Gone" is good for removing sticky residue - might even soak in well enough from the sides to help get them off (I might even try that first).

Thanks for the info folks. I'm going to wait about a week and see if the gloss black I did 'em with yesterday grows on me. If it doesn't then I'll try the methods mentioned.
Cheers