Hard-Wired the Zumo tonight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogMcQ

Reaction score
I'm going on a quick solo trip to Scotland and Northern Ireland this coming weekend, so I decided it was time to hard-wire the Zumo and mount it in a permanent position. I bought a central mount from MIGSEL and was pleased to find that it fitted perfectly and without a hitch.

IMG_7530.JPG

Then I removed the left "A" panel (where the heated-grip cntrol is) and after carefully routing the cable from the Zumo, I Scotchlok'd
lok.gif
it to the brown wire going to the grip-controller. For added safety, I included an inline fuse. Luckily, there's a couple of very convenient earthing points on the chassis closeby.

zumo_migsel2.jpg

zumo_migsel1.jpg

So that's it - ready to go!! Oh, and I fitted a sports bag on the rear seat for added storage.

Backpack.jpg

ok. silly question...

if ya got that slick Zumo thingy -- what's that paper map doin in your tank bag????

just makes ya wonder...

BTW -- cool install!

ok. silly question.. if ya got that slick Zumo thingy -- what's that paper map doin in your tank bag???? just makes ya wonder...
BTW -- cool install!
Just a remnant from the past Rick :rolleyes: I'll remove it and replace it with a centrefold from Playboy :yahoo:

Is the brown wire a switched power source? If not, then change it - and Scotchlock connectors suck. Strip the wire back, twist the new wiretogether with the old and solder the connection, then tape it up well.

Enjoy the trip.

Ditto for the ease o install. Did mine this afternoon :yahoo: , only difference was that I hooked mine up via Bue Seas Fusebox. Probably took as long, just becuase I'm a neat freak w/ wires.

Hi BramFrank - yes the brown is switched. If I hadn't wanted a switched supply I'd have gone straight to the battery.

While I had the panels off, I also doused all the visible connector-blocks and terminals (and Scotchlok) with ACF-50. Brilliant stuff for many reasons.

Tom

that ball mount is slick is there a us company that sells that or is migsel the only one that carries it?