Has Anybody Taken The Lee Parks Class Yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's any kind of inspection you have to pass. I'd hate to drive 500 miles and get turned away on a technicality. Specifically, I relaxed my throttle return spring and it will not snap back shut on its own. Should I endure the daunting task of rewinding it just for the class or will it not be an issue when I show up. TIA for any helpful guidance.

why not just email them and ask your question?
I'm kind of afraid that bringing it to their attention (and passing on liability) might guarantee me an inspection. I really don't want to attempt to reconnect that spring if at all possible. As soon as I relaxed it, I realized that it would be a major bitch to undo what I had just done.

When are you taking that class? Before or after the Yosemite trip? We need SOME chance of keeping up with you
I'm looking at the November class. As for keeping up, no worries. I'll be two up and it's sometimes work to keep Brenda happy and not have cars pass me at the same time. Over time, she has become more and more sensitive to e-ticket riding. She got real geechy once we started scraping pegs.

I signed up for the class on the 24th of September
Let us know about your experiences. I think there are a couple of us signed up for this weekend. I'll probably find out a hard answer next week.

TC:

I'm heading to Phoenix this weekend for the clinic. The information I received indicates there are some basic checks that will be done. I quote from the information they provided....

"In the Skills Practice, Intermediate, or Experienced RiderCourse, you ride your own motorcycle. Your bike will need to pass all the inspection points listed at the bottom of the Private Vehicle Use Form (not provided in the package I received). IF YOUR MOTORCYCLE DOESN'T PASS INSPECTION, INCLUDING TIRE PRESSURE, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO RIDE WITH THE CLASS AND YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY A RESCHEDULE FEE IF YOU WISH TO RESCHEDULE.

All motorcycles used must have a SELF CLOSING THROTTLE :bigeyes: , properly operating front and rear brakes, tires with adequate tread depth (min 3/32's), and be is a street legal configuration."

From the sound of it, you probably should at least make sure the throttle closes as it is supposed to.

John

Aargh! The worst part of it is riding to and from AZ with the spring tightened up. Or maybe the task of fixing the spring. Thanks for the info, as bad as the news was.

Their is no formal instpection at any of the schools we run. But, some common sence should pravail. If you have bald tires you may have problems with some of the exercises (but you shouldn't be riding anyway, right?) Other than that, as long as your brakes work, and nothing is leaking from the engine/trans on to the ground you should be OK.

One of the major differences between the Total Control class and an ERC is you will really learn to lean your bike in a corner. (knee draging and peg scraping is optional, but many riders experience this for the first time). That's why you should have good tires to take the class.

We have very few crashes. I've taught about 300 students since 1998 and can only cound a handfull. Mostly these have been students that have used race bikes with slicks. Because speeds are low (less than 30mph) the tires never get hot enough to stick. A few other crashes have resulted from students that don't follow instructions from the instructors. Other than that it's a fairly safe course.

I'm heading to the planned November class in Gilbert, AZ

Exskibum has expressed interest as well as maybe getting enough riders together for a group discount. See this thread.

Hmm, and probably some sliders, just in case....
I'm also planning to leave the bags in the Hotel room this weekend... just in case!

3dogs - will I see you in Gilbert this weekend for the clinic?

toecutter said

I really don't want to attempt to reconnect that spring if at all possible. As soon as I relaxed it, I realized that it would be a major bitch to undo what I had just done.
Just take some small guage solid wire and solder a loop on the end. Snake the wire in and hook it on the spring. Then pull the spring back around.

DSCN0175.jpg

I'm wondering if there's any kind of inspection you have to pass. I'd hate to drive 500 miles and get turned away on a technicality. Specifically, I relaxed my throttle return spring and it will not snap back shut on its own. Should I endure the daunting task of rewinding it just for the class or will it not be an issue when I show up. TIA for any helpful guidance.
toecutter,

I removed my spring also and mine returns on its own just fine.

Is there something that could be interferring. I noticed when I first put my bar ends on after new grips they slightly touched each other and was enough to stop it from returning. Do you have something else on your bike that may be adding additional tension. Without it will it return such as a cruize lock? Use it until you get there and then try and remove the culprit for the class.

Just a suggestion and curious why mine returns...

I have a throttle lock and bar ends. I'll check it out, thanks. Truth is, I haven't even used the throttle lock much since I relaxed the spring. Maybe it's just a result of the riding I've been doing lately (twisties v. freeway). Come to think of it, having a radar detector has had an effect on the throttle lock usage as well. Don't want to lock it on at warp speed in case of an alert.

Oops, read the other thread and answered my own question. Score one for my post ho account..

Last edited by a moderator:
Specifically, I relaxed my throttle return spring and it will not snap back shut on its own.
toecutter,

I removed my spring also and mine returns on its own just fine.

Is there something that could be interferring.... Do you have something else on your bike that may be adding additional tension. Without it will it return such as a cruize lock?

Just a suggestion and curious why mine returns...
Sparky,

Good call, thanks. I found that the foam grip was interfering with the bar end. Trimmed it off and all is well. Throttle snaps right back closed. Thanks again. :)

Also, did anybody take the class on Labor Day weekend?

Last edited by a moderator: