Has Anyone Ridden India?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 90406

Reaction score
A friend and I are toying with the idea of riding India. Maybe Rajasthan, maybe Chennai. I’m looking for members with experience over there especially those who have used a tour guide. I’m looking for advice and tips. Any feedback is appreciated.

For a primer, take a look at "Tough Rides: India" on Amazon. Not the greatest, but some information for what you might encounter.

~G

I would poke around on Adventurerider.com for India information. They had a thread a while back about a guy who wanted to move his family there for his job, wasn't very encouraging from people who had lived there.

Rambler, a no-longer-active member here, rode through his native India in 2015 and again in 2016. Click here to read his blog posts; his screen name there is Rakesh. Photos, videos, and narratives are high quality.

You could probably contact him through a Forum PM: search for "Rambler" (no quotation marks) in the Members section, then click on Send me a message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
A friend and I are toying with the idea of riding India. Maybe Rajasthan, maybe Chennai. I’m looking for members with experience over there especially those who have used a tour guide. I’m looking for advice and tips. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks Hud and Bounce for the heads up.

@GitGoFast: By no means an expert but ready to help. Hud is correct. I did a ride in India back in July 2015 - some pics vids and words - per the link shared by Hud.

Our ride was a guided tour of 12 days 6 riders between lead rider and sweep truck (with mechanic and luggage) We did the popular northern india ride - through a 'hard' - not so common route -

Chadigarh via Spiti Valley to Leh and offshoot to the Highest Pass.

Rajasthan would be a better ride than Chennai - and the time of the year will be biggest factor. It isnt full blown summer yet and day temps are in the 105s F!

What are your questions and I will try my best to answer or get you the right answers all the way from India ! :)

There is a BMW GS guy that lives in India, I'm pretty certain that he would be willing to answer questions. PM me an email address and i'll see if i can get the two of you hooked up. Hope this helps, John