Has anyone rode a BMW S1000 XR yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have...it has lots of power and very fast but I was ready to give it back after 30 miles. The seat locks you in one position that becomes uncomfortable pretty fast, the powerful engine is glass smooth at 3800 rpms and buzzy at every rpm above 3800. The electronic suspension seemed to be junk, harsh ride on every road surface at any speed. I was surprised that BMW would bring a bike that was so uncomfortable with so many flaws to the US. I followed that test ride with a ride on the R1200GS wethead. It wasn't as fast but by far a better motorcycle.

That review guy loved it. He was drooling all over it when I got tired of it and stopped reading. I'd had enough when he started cupping BMW's balls for integrating the start switch with the kill switch. The pinnacle of German engineering...except, where have I seen that before? I'd swear on Zeus's butthole, I know of a Japanese company that started doing that in 2013, but I'm not a high-speed motorcycle journalist, so what do I know??

One day ride on XR in Almeria in February. I had a big expectations out of that bike but was a bit disappointed. It is very fast bike, but GS is faaar better from comfort and handling in curvy roads than XR. I rode also RS and like it more than XR...

With BMW S1000 engine best is RR, than R and than XR (my opinion).

Design of XR is also questionable (again, just my opinion), FJR is much better side by side. If you want, check some photos here (middle of the page):

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/165978-2016-is-official-6-spd-slipper-leds-analog-tach-price/page-46

I bought one in August. Fell in love with the look/style of the bike when it was release and it appealed even more when I was able to see on in person last June. I had an opportunity to test ride on in August and bough tit on the spot. It replaced a 1st gen Multistrada that I'd had for 4 years. It's my fun weekend bike and summer commuter. Still have the FJR, love them both. Buzzy, a bit. Re torqued a few things, put one some real bar end weights and I'm happy with it. Of course it's subjective. At 200lbs plus gear I'm also satisfied with the adjustable suspension. It handles 2-up real well. Had Seth make a seat for it last fall. Have to make a run to UT in a few weeks and plan on taking the XR instead of the FJR so we'll see how it does after a few 400-600 miles days. I've had more fun with bike than any I can remember. No regrets!

20150731_094331.jpg