Has your healthcare ins. provider asked you about motorcycles yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackStar

Reaction score
I posted this on the FZ1 forums, but I thought I would see what you guys think.

So with our new more expensive, less coverage, high deductable healthcare we now have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get credits towards our deductable. Included are biometric screening, health coach calls, and a great intrusive lifestyle questionare. Some of the questions are directed towards motorcycles. Do you ride a motorcycle? How many miles a year do you ride? How close to the speed limit do you drive? etc....

This concerns me. This year the carrot dangling is getting credits towards your deductable. Not trusting the insurance industry as far as I can throw them, I have to wonder when riding will result in being singled out and charged more for, or denied coverage.

They did not ask what type of bike or whether or not you wore a helmet (which I do), although they did ask if you wore a seatbelt while driving a car.

I sure as hell did not volunteer that I also ride a dirt bike, albeit not in competition, for which I know I have no coverage.

I worry that eventually there will be a corporate approved list of leisure activitys and motorcycling wont be on it. Perhaps I'm getting worked up about nothing?

I don't know if it will do anygood, but I'm thinking about joining the AMA and letting them know that there may be some storm clouds on the horizon. I'd think they are already aware of this. If this goes bad, would it force people out of motorcycling?

So you had to answer all this when you signed up for coverage?

Do you get your own or does your employer provide it?

I'm on my companies plan, I've never had to answer a single question

Also have health insurance through employer. I've never had nor heard of questions regarding motorcycle riding related to coverages. Insurance premiums are risk based so it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes an item eventually. Let's hope not.

--G

So you had to answer all this when you signed up for coverage?

Do you get your own or does your employer provide it?

I'm on my companies plan, I've never had to answer a single question
Never been asked any of those questions and never been denied coverage by my health care provider, but then I live in Canada with socialized medicine and they never ask questions and there is never a deductable. It really isn`t nearly as bad as some of the media protray it.

Yes I have insurance through my employer, and yes I had to answer the questions as one of the hoops I had to jump through to reduce my deductable, along with the biometric screening, and health coach calls for an 80/20 policy.

At this point those questions are more important when looking for life or disability insurance. You could be rated or denied for these if you engage in "hazardous" occupations or hobbies. In my clinic the number of questions about seat belt use, motorcycle riding and helmet use, high risk sexual behaviors, alcohol and drug use, etc have increased over the last decade. (If we ask those the Feds and private insurers pay us better!) We even have to ask people if they feel safe in their home, has anyone hurt you etc. Again, a Federal initiative and if we don't ask we do not get paid as well for that office visit. So, we ask. This is only going to get worse.

At this point those questions are more important when looking for life or disability insurance. You could be rated or denied for these if you engage in "hazardous" occupations or hobbies. In my clinic the number of questions about seat belt use, motorcycle riding and helmet use, high risk sexual behaviors, alcohol and drug use, etc have increased over the last decade. (If we ask those the Feds and private insurers pay us better!) We even have to ask people if they feel safe in their home, has anyone hurt you etc. Again, a Federal initiative and if we don't ask we do not get paid as well for that office visit. So, we ask. This is only going to get worse.
So there is a money initiative for some of this. So yea, it sounds like we're toast. Thanks for the enlightenment. So motorcyclists are lumped in with drug users, alchoholics, and people with risky sexual behavoirs, sounds about right. :)

My insurance co. hasn't asked me any questions about motorcycles. They probably don't think I would still be riding at my age. lol

My wife's insurance provided by her employer, a large hospital has recently started many of the things the OP is talking about. You can reduce your initial costs by doing biometric tests, participate in health improvement, etc. I think it is the leading edge of health insurance. They are constantly trying to increase the bottom line. Now as many parts of the financial pie are regulated, they have to reduce the payout. Insurance companies have been reccomending healthier life styles for years, and now they will start charging for unhealthy habits.

Whenever I bust my ass riding bikes I tell the ER & Insurance peeps I was riding a horse! :yahoo:
Wise words. Don't tell the Dr's or insurance anything that you woundn't want shared. The new healthcare mandates portability. There is a lot of good about that, but there is much that can be bad.

... So motorcyclists are lumped in with drug users, alchoholics, and people with risky sexual behavoirs, sounds about right. :)
Keep in mind, insurance always has been about Risk Assessment. Be thankful you are not Self-Employed...it is worse.

Do Keep EVERY COPY of your Application and keep them in a safe place for future reference.

Everything you put down will be housed in the M.I.B. (Medical Information Bureau in Massachussetts). This FILE will be looked at by Anyone you Sign a Release to look at your information...including Employment. With the Pending Legislation, it is about to get more extreme. 80/20 or PPO programs offer the best value for the dollar. Keep your 20% Max $$ Level in its Own Bank or Savings Account. This way you will not be surprised if you need the full boat for the year.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case some one reads this ... I want to be on record as saying that riding has been one of "the" most important elements in my mental and physical well being!

If we want to weigh risks... try reading the "possible" side effects label on any of the medications in your cabinet!!!

You ain't seen nothing yet. You won't believe what's on the horizon. It's happening all around us, sweeping in so quietly and innocently... and too many people are hardly raising an eyebrow. Obamacare is the law of the land. Maybe it will go up in smoke, maybe it won't. Maybe you're for it and maybe you're not. But remember these two things: the Fed is in this up to their ears and healthcare is CHANGING. But if Obamacare dies, it'll be back soon enough in a different colored wrapper because the same people that spawned it are still in office.

On another note: consider this... Progressive Insurance is advertising a little plug in device for your car. Guess what it does? It records things from your car's computer like for example, how often you make a sudden stop. They offer a discount on your insurance if you utilize this volunteer device for 6 months. However, I'll betcha other insurers will be on this band wagon faster than you can get cher wallet open. And mark my words, one day insurers will lobby Congress to pass a law that you'll face higher premiums if you refuse to use this device. Don't think Congress will do this? Let's see, how much have they given in to big insurance lately? DUHH. Don't underestimate the power Big Insurance has in Washington.

I wish I could be wrong about this...

Gary

darksider #44

Here's an example of the questions we ask...

Abuse and Neglect:

Any risk factors/warning signs of abuse or neglect observed or reported?

Have you been hit, slapped, kicked, or otherwise physically hurt by someone?

Has anyone put you down, called you names, or made you feel bad about yourself?

Has anyone forced you to have sexual activities?

Here's an example of the questions we ask...

Abuse and Neglect:

Any risk factors/warning signs of abuse or neglect observed or reported?

Have you been hit, slapped, kicked, or otherwise physically hurt by someone?

Has anyone put you down, called you names, or made you feel bad about yourself?

Has anyone forced you to have sexual activities?

Holy smokes! With the exception of the Forced sexual activities it sounds like our normal Shenanigans during a 24 hour shift at the Fargo Fire Department.