Has your healthcare ins. provider asked you about motorcycles yet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an example of the questions we ask...

Abuse and Neglect:

Any risk factors/warning signs of abuse or neglect observed or reported?

Have you been hit, slapped, kicked, or otherwise physically hurt by someone?

Has anyone put you down, called you names, or made you feel bad about yourself?

Has anyone forced you to have sexual activities?

Holy smokes! With the exception of the Forced sexual activities it sounds like our normal Shenanigans during a 24 hour shift at the Fargo Fire Department.
Good thing you put that disclaimer in there...we might have thought otherwise. :)

You ain't seen nothing yet. You won't believe what's on the horizon. It's happening all around us, sweeping in so quietly and innocently... and too many people are hardly raising an eyebrow. Obamacare is the law of the land. Maybe it will go up in smoke, maybe it won't. Maybe you're for it and maybe you're not. But remember these two things: the Fed is in this up to their ears and healthcare is CHANGING. But if Obamacare dies, it'll be back soon enough in a different colored wrapper because the same people that spawned it are still in office.

On another note: consider this... Progressive Insurance is advertising a little plug in device for your car. Guess what it does? It records things from your car's computer like for example, how often you make a sudden stop. They offer a discount on your insurance if you utilize this volunteer device for 6 months. However, I'll betcha other insurers will be on this band wagon faster than you can get cher wallet open. And mark my words, one day insurers will lobby Congress to pass a law that you'll face higher premiums if you refuse to use this device. Don't think Congress will do this? Let's see, how much have they given in to big insurance lately? DUHH. Don't underestimate the power Big Insurance has in Washington.

I wish I could be wrong about this...

Gary

darksider #44
That little plug taps your cars computer and can come up with a ton of info on how you drive! The history shows throttle openings, brake applications and speed to name a few. Police can tap you car after an accident and tell what you were doing at the time of the crash.

On a side note I am a lifetime member of the AMA and urge everyone to join. They watch both Washington and the states for things that are not in our best interest and lobby for the riders!

Steve

I really don't see a problem with this.

I agree with the premise that low risk drivers should pay lower rates. Also, if you manage your health by avoiding destructive and unhealthy habits then it makes perfect sense that you pay lower health care premiums. Both of these premises are based on the assumption that being a lower risk means you will be a lower cost. The alternative is to ask safer drivers to pay more so that the risky drivers can pay less (proportionately speaking).

Is this a matter of perspective? The insurance premium (or deductible) goes lower if you submit these voluntary intrusions. If you don't want to participate, you pay the normal (higher) rate. I do not see a problem with this. If this was the opposite .. i.e. your rates go up if you don't submit to the monitoring, that's a different story. I suppose the perspective is "what is the starting point".

While this is pretty clearcut in the case of vehicle insurance (since owning and operating a vehicle is voluntary and you can easily switch to a competitor who doesn't operate in this manner), applying it to healthcare adds many additional considerations such as the perceived "right" to healthcare, regulations distorting the free market, insurance being tied to employment, and several other issues I won't bother to elucidate here.

I suspect these issues are close to home in our little FJR community because we do take more than average risks and thus stand liable to pay higher premiums. The alternative is to propose that others pay for the risks we take ... anyone want to step and make that proposal?

If your beef is with the profits the insurance companies make, then I challenge you to find out what their profit margin is and explain why profit is bad, or perhaps undertake the task of determining how much profit is bad.

Reading between the lines, I think the outrage you're feeling is over the fear that the questions and monitoring devices could someday become mandatory. I'll lend my support behind that one, but since that isn't currently the case, I'm not going to sweat it.

I really don't see a problem with this.

I agree with the premise that low risk drivers should pay lower rates. Also, if you manage your health by avoiding destructive and unhealthy habits then it makes perfect sense that you pay lower health care premiums. Both of these premises are based on the assumption that being a lower risk means you will be a lower cost. The alternative is to ask safer drivers to pay more so that the risky drivers can pay less (proportionately speaking).

Is this a matter of perspective? The insurance premium (or deductible) goes lower if you submit these voluntary intrusions. If you don't want to participate, you pay the normal (higher) rate. I do not see a problem with this. If this was the opposite .. i.e. your rates go up if you don't submit to the monitoring, that's a different story. I suppose the perspective is "what is the starting point".

While this is pretty clearcut in the case of vehicle insurance (since owning and operating a vehicle is voluntary and you can easily switch to a competitor who doesn't operate in this manner), applying it to healthcare adds many additional considerations such as the perceived "right" to healthcare, regulations distorting the free market, insurance being tied to employment, and several other issues I won't bother to elucidate here.

I suspect these issues are close to home in our little FJR community because we do take more than average risks and thus stand liable to pay higher premiums. The alternative is to propose that others pay for the risks we take ... anyone want to step and make that proposal?

If your beef is with the profits the insurance companies make, then I challenge you to find out what their profit margin is and explain why profit is bad, or perhaps undertake the task of determining how much profit is bad.

Reading between the lines, I think the outrage you're feeling is over the fear that the questions and monitoring devices could someday become mandatory. I'll lend my support behind that one, but since that isn't currently the case, I'm not going to sweat it.

Well Said......

Last edited by a moderator:
My previous insurance company had no issues because I was a motorcyclist. I asked the question because I wanted to make sure I was covered, and I was treated just like anyone else.

I don't get it. My motorcycle insurance covers my medical costs if I'm involved in an accident. My healthcare policy does not.

And I'm pretty sure my motorcycle insurance company is aware that I ride.

Unless you have some really (REALLY) unusual motorcycle policy, your med payments coverage will likely not go very far if you are involved in even a moderately serious crash. If you are involved in an accident with another vehicle that is at-fault, and that vehicle is either uninsured or underinsured, and you have U/M coverage, you could use that to supplement your med. payments limit. <<<< - edit: That sentence may vary from State to State. In Louisiana, it is true as written.

It is all very well to suggest there is "not a problem with this", if the insurance industry was adiding by the principles they were founded on.

That is, we pool the risk of as many as possible, to reduce the cost for those who need help.

That is not what is happening here. What insurance companies are doing is attempting to narrow the risk pool so small that they reduce payouts and increase profits. When it gets to the point that they begin intruding on quite normal activities, then the very point of them existing at all is becoming blurred.

For example ... You might not like the fact that I ride a motorcycle, but I don't much care for your private plane, or the fact that you have been married three times, you have an unstable life-style.

I agree that those taking unnecessary or unusual risks ... and riding without a crash helmet would be one of them, should either be excluded or charged a premium rate, but we really do need to be on our guard against the insurers cherry-picking the risk pool too much. It is not in our interests that they should be allowed to do so.

I can neither add to, supplement, or even comment on Twigg's post without violating the agreement to which I abide on this forum. So I will simply "like", say thank you, and move on. Well done, sir.

^^^^ Agreed Pants and Twigg,

My health insurance coverage went up 45.03% this year because of members in our pool had some catastrophic claims. AND some other factors related to national health care plan changes.....but that is another subject not for here.

BUT, my insurance plan does not ask me if I ride with or without gear. NOR did they ask if Work out, Smoke, Drink excessively, Sleep around, or engage in any other vices that likely would result in increased insurance payouts due to my behavior.

Insurance is a scam in some ways. This scenario is one of those in my opinion.

Doctor/Insurance hasn't asked me anything like that. I don't think they would, for various reasons. But the zoo where I have to get my annual agency physical done has a mandatory questonnaire that asks everything but motorcycle questions. I put N/A by questions that aren't their business.

They're also asking about firearms ownership. A good friend of mine wrote on the form: NOYFB. They didn't pursue it with him.

A friend of mine just recently went to the doctor. He was given a form to fill out. One of the questions was how mentally depressed you are.

A ) slightly depressed

B ) moderately depressed

C ) often deprecessed

D ) Always depressed

As you can see there is no option for not at all depressed. He had to write that in. If you happened to pick any of them you might and most likely could run into problems down the road the way the system is going.

On another note I turn down the $500.00 discount for the biometrics. It's none of my company's business as far as I am concerned. Fook them.

Dave

On a similar note State Farm sent out a flier saying that now that I have Ford Sync that I could get a discount. My agent said I could but if I ever exceed the speed limit then he wouldn't. By accepting you allow Insurance Company to access your vehicles computer record and it could com back to bite you. Bad enough that the auto manufacturers know what you're doing all the time. Again mitigating perceived high risk insured.

On a similar note State Farm sent out a flier saying that now that I have Ford Sync that I could get a discount. My agent said I could but if I ever exceed the speed limit then he wouldn't. By accepting you allow Insurance Company to access your vehicles computer record and it could com back to bite you. Bad enough that the auto manufacturers know what you're doing all the time. Again mitigating perceived high risk insured.
I've gotten that memo too. Phuck 'em. Same thing with Progressive's plug-in thingee: monitoring your behavior and movements.

On a similar note State Farm sent out a flier saying that now that I have Ford Sync that I could get a discount. My agent said I could but if I ever exceed the speed limit then he wouldn't. By accepting you allow Insurance Company to access your vehicles computer record and it could com back to bite you. Bad enough that the auto manufacturers know what you're doing all the time. Again mitigating perceived high risk insured..
I've gotten that memo too. Phuck 'em. Same thing with Progressive's plug-in thingee: monitoring your behavior and movements.

I am okay with putting that thing or any other device on my Ridgeline. I baby her. My son will soon be driving. Not sure the data points will be the same. On the other hand, the FJR and how I pilot her another story

IF, And that is a big IF, it saved me some significant money, I would do it. Maybe.

I posted this on the FZ1 forums, but I thought I would see what you guys think.
So with our new more expensive, less coverage, high deductable healthcare we now have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get credits towards our deductable. Included are biometric screening, health coach calls, and a great intrusive lifestyle questionare. Some of the questions are directed towards motorcycles. Do you ride a motorcycle? How many miles a year do you ride? How close to the speed limit do you drive? etc....

This concerns me. This year the carrot dangling is getting credits towards your deductable. Not trusting the insurance industry as far as I can throw them, I have to wonder when riding will result in being singled out and charged more for, or denied coverage.

They did not ask what type of bike or whether or not you wore a helmet (which I do), although they did ask if you wore a seatbelt while driving a car.

I sure as hell did not volunteer that I also ride a dirt bike, albeit not in competition, for which I know I have no coverage.

I worry that eventually there will be a corporate approved list of leisure activitys and motorcycling wont be on it. Perhaps I'm getting worked up about nothing?

I don't know if it will do anygood, but I'm thinking about joining the AMA and letting them know that there may be some storm clouds on the horizon. I'd think they are already aware of this. If this goes bad, would it force people out of motorcycling?
We have the exact same program in place at AMAT now and I have the same thoughts. It may be fair actually to ask you about risky behavior - they've been asking us about drinking and smoking for years. Not saying I like the trend though.

I do think that some day it may price me and others out of riding or other fun stuff as the insurers force us into eating nothing but kale and quinoa, and living life inside plastic bubbles.

You ain't seen nothing yet. You won't believe what's on the horizon. It's happening all around us, sweeping in so quietly and innocently... and too many people are hardly raising an eyebrow. Obamacare is the law of the land. Maybe it will go up in smoke, maybe it won't. Maybe you're for it and maybe you're not. But remember these two things: the Fed is in this up to their ears and healthcare is CHANGING. But if Obamacare dies, it'll be back soon enough in a different colored wrapper because the same people that spawned it are still in office. On another note: consider this... Progressive Insurance is advertising a little plug in device for your car. Guess what it does? It records things from your car's computer like for example, how often you make a sudden stop. They offer a discount on your insurance if you utilize this volunteer device for 6 months. However, I'll betcha other insurers will be on this band wagon faster than you can get cher wallet open. And mark my words, one day insurers will lobby Congress to pass a law that you'll face higher premiums if you refuse to use this device. Don't think Congress will do this? Let's see, how much have they given in to big insurance lately? DUHH. Don't underestimate the power Big Insurance has in Washington.I wish I could be wrong about this...Garydarksider #44
That little plug taps your cars computer and can come up with a ton of info on how you drive! The history shows throttle openings, brake applications and speed to name a few. Police can tap you car after an accident and tell what you were doing at the time of the crash. On a side note I am a lifetime member of the AMA and urge everyone to join. They watch both Washington and the states for things that are not in our best interest and lobby for the riders!Steve
It's not just Progressive, its in at least some new vehicles now. The '14 Ninja 1000 I just bought records the ECU info and in the event of a crash stores the last several seconds of data for later "analysis".

My company started offering $50 if you participated in a free "health fair" which includes blood tests for clorestoral, etc.

WIthin three years, it was mandatory - and they charged you $100/month if you did NOT participate.

The new thing is $100 if you participate in the voluntary "health screening" which includes blood tests for clorestoral, blood pressure, body mass index, blood glucose levels and other such stuff.

Of course, if you smoke, then that's an additional $150/month.

My wife's company is already charging extra is your blood pressure/BMI/whatever doesn't meet with their guidelines.

I'm 5'10" and 200 pounds and have just been diagnosed by the company health people as "obese".

Now excuse me while I go out for a ride

Latest posts