Having my fuel injection cake and eating it too!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got to ride my bike in the daytime and discovered that the LED is not quite bright enough to be easily visible. I want it to be bright enough to be obvious, like a "warning" light. As in, "warning, do not expect smooth throttle control GREEN FOR ECONOMY!" I also realized that it can't possibly be irritating at night no matter how bright it is, because the chin of my full-face helmet blocks it from view while looking forward at the road. I just finished swapping out the 1000 ohm resistor for a 500 ohm resistor. I'll post some daytime pictures in a while after I get the plastic back on the bike.

Glad to hear the the Motty and PCV both offer that option. Too bad they are so $$$.
To get multiple maps that can be switched out on the PCIII or PCV, you need this LCD display:

0000-Dynojet-LCD-Display-for-Power-Commander-V---.jpg

I like my button better :)

Geez Jeff..What do ya do when yer bored?
My mind can be quite dangerous when left idle :crazy:

Here's some daytime pics:

cockpit_view_day_off.jpg

cockpit_view_day_on.jpg

closeup_off.jpg

closeup_on.jpg

Stupid camera insisted on focusing on the reflections in the closeup shots. Well, that's as bright as I can make it without risking losing the LED. I think it's bright enough to tell if it's on at a glance, except in direct sunlight.

Very cool. Clean install is impressive. You've got something that should be packaged and sold.
Thanks. Since I believe I have the only Gen II FJR in the world with a Motty AFR Tuner installed, I don't think there would be much of a market for this.

I finally got to ride my bike in the daytime and discovered that the LED is not quite bright enough to be easily visible. I want it to be bright enough to be obvious, like a "warning" light. As in, "warning, do not expect smooth throttle control GREEN FOR ECONOMY!" I also realized that it can't possibly be irritating at night no matter how bright it is, because the chin of my full-face helmet blocks it from view while looking forward at the road. I just finished swapping out the 1000 ohm resistor for a 500 ohm resistor. I'll post some daytime pictures in a while after I get the plastic back on the bike.

Glad to hear the the Motty and PCV both offer that option. Too bad they are so $$$.
To get multiple maps that can be switched out on the PCIII or PCV, you need this LCD display:

0000-Dynojet-LCD-Display-for-Power-Commander-V---.jpg

I like my button better :)

Geez Jeff..What do ya do when yer bored?
My mind can be quite dangerous when left idle :crazy:
The LCD display from what dynojet said is not yet available for the PCV

The LCD display from what dynojet said is not yet available for the PCV
So I guess the Motty is currently the only self-tuning system capable of switching maps on-the-fly. That makes my setup just that much more special :) .

Here's an update after some riding, data logging and map tweaking this weekend...

I toned down my "economy" map a bit after being warned of the dangers of pinging/knocking that can be caused by running too lean without retarding ignition timing (which I can't do). The leanest I'm going now is 14.7:1, which is the recommended lean limit by both the person that warned me about pinging, and by DynoJet's AutoTune installation guide. I'm only using 14.7:1 as a target in the cells that I found to be used during various cruising speeds (thanks to the data logger!). I've highlighted the cruising area on my economy map in this google spreadsheet. The following approximate crusing ranges were used to come up with this:

• 25-35mph in 3rd gear.
  • 35-45mph in 4th gear.
  • 45-75mph in 5th gear.
  • Extended the cruising range up a few hundred RPMs a bit to acount for slightly higher freeway cruising speeds.

The economy map now "feels" similar to the map that I was using before I added the button to the bike (basically, the "Good Compromise" map in the google spreadsheet). It's pretty smooth in the partial throttle areas with occasional hesitation under light acceleration or steady speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. It is leaner than what I used to run (6% less fuel in the cruising area), but it's not looking like it will be a major gain in fuel economy at this point. Heavier acceleration is very strong and smooth, because this map is the same as my "Power" map in the higher throttle positions and higher RPM ranges (if you open the throttle more than 20% or exceed 5000 RPMs, you obviously don't care about fuel economy at that moment; you want to GO!).

Even if the fuel economy gain is negligible, this mod was still worth it. The reason is that I was able to create my "Power" map ("anti-economy"?) that does not compromise anything in the name of fuel economy. The result is very smooth power delivery, even under light acceleration or steady speeds at mid/high RPMs in 1st gear. I suspect that fuel economy will be horrible, but well worth the enjoyment. The glowing green ring on a black button that perfectly matches the black plastic on the bike also made this totally worthwhile, even if the button wasn't connected to anything :)

I hope the weather is nice enough next weekend so that I can go ride a nice long loop twice (once with each map) and compare fuel consumption.

This maybe a silly question, but is there a way to capture/replicate the OEM fuel mapping to use as the basis for the "economy" map in the Motty, since the OEM fuel economy is pretty decent. Alternately does the Motty have a "bypass" feature, which would achieve the same result of an economy, cruise mode?

So I guess the Motty is currently the only self-tuning system capable of switching maps on-the-fly. That makes my setup just that much more special :) .
According to the Dynojet people, the PC-V with Autotune supports a simple toggle switch input that allows you to switch between two pre-loaded maps on-the-fly.

Their website (and questions answered over the phone) boast the feature. See below...

Power Commander V Product Introduction

The New Power Commander V is loaded with tons of new features. It is compatible with 2009 and newer bike models. Below you will find some Power Commander V features.

•Reduced size from PCIIIusb (less than half of the size of PCIII)

•USB powered from computer (9 volt adapter is no longer needed for programming)

•2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)

•Gear input (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed)

•Analog input (allows user to install any 0-5 volt sensor and build an adjustment table based on its input such as boost or temperature)

•With gear position input connected the PCV is capable of allowing each cylinder to be mapped individually and for each gear (for example: on a 4 cylinder bike with a six speed transmission there could be up to 24 separate fuel tables).

•Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes

•10 throttle position columns (up from 9 on PCIIIusb)

•Enhanced “accel pump” utility (increased adjustment and sensitivity ranges)

This maybe a silly question, but is there a way to capture/replicate the OEM fuel mapping to use as the basis for the "economy" map in the Motty, since the OEM fuel economy is pretty decent. Alternately does the Motty have a "bypass" feature, which would achieve the same result of an economy, cruise mode?
Yes, and yes. But it would only be a valid comparison on a stock bike. My bike is not close enough to stock to use stock fueling.

According to the Dynojet people, the PC-V with Autotune supports a simple toggle switch input that allows you to switch between two pre-loaded maps on-the-fly.

Their website (and questions answered over the phone) boast the feature. See below...

•2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)
Thanks; you just reduced my coolness factor by at least 10 points :p

So who's gonna be first to get the technical details on how that toggle switch is wired up to determine if a custom switch can be wired up easily? I'd imagine that DynoJet's own switch wouldn't look nearly as cool as the button I found.

So based on the info above, it looks like I can use my PCIII with the Autotune to get "switchable" maps? I don't have to upgrade to a PCV? Correct?

If so, I'll probably do this mod sometime in December. With the Wally map in my bike now, I get around 37 MPG which really sucks for LDR work. "Economy Mode" a.k.a., the original factory map, would be excellent for slab work.

So based on the info above, it looks like I can use my PCIII with the Autotune to get "switchable" maps? I don't have to upgrade to a PCV? Correct?
No; AutoTune is not compatible with the PCIII. You either have to upgrade to a PCV + AutoTune, or add the LCD screen to your PCIII to get switchable maps. I'm not sure if maps can be switched on-the-fly (as you ride) on the PCIII with the LCD screen. It only says that it can store multiple maps and download them to the PCIII.

Right, got it.

U.S. Version

The other link was for the U.K. version for some reason

"The onboard memory allows for the storage of multiple maps. Once stored, these maps can be sent to the Power Commander "on the fly". Additionally, maps can be custom adjusted using the controls on the display. The LCD Display has the ability to log the data being displayed for later analysis. "

Looks like it will work.

When you switch maps, do you feel any momentary hesitation, surging, or misfires? If only just for a second? Seems like it might be better to pull over and switch while stopped. Or does it matter?

No; AutoTune is not compatible with the PCIII. You either have to upgrade to a PCV + AutoTune, or add the LCD screen to your PCIII to get switchable maps. I'm not sure if maps can be switched on-the-fly (as you ride) on the PCIII with the LCD screen. It only says that it can store multiple maps and download them to the PCIII.
Sorry to bust your bubble but the pc3 can be used with the lcd display and you can load multiple maps to change on the fly, my friend has it on his zx14 and the map switching works on the fly just fine, I do not know how many maps it can hold but it is more than 2 for sure. Dynojet does not have that working just yet for the pcv.

Right, got it.
U.S. Version

The other link was for the U.K. version for some reason

"The onboard memory allows for the storage of multiple maps. Once stored, these maps can be sent to the Power Commander "on the fly". Additionally, maps can be custom adjusted using the controls on the display. The LCD Display has the ability to log the data being displayed for later analysis. "

Looks like it will work.

When you switch maps, do you feel any momentary hesitation, surging, or misfires? If only just for a second? Seems like it might be better to pull over and switch while stopped. Or does it matter?
$300 for the LCD unit alone!?!?!?! What's up wit dat?

I can't speak for the PCIII + LCD setup, but the Motty switches instantly with no hiccups. Maybe strike3 can clarify if this is what he means when he says, "map switching works on the fly just fine." The only reason I'm not willing to assume it would be an instant, hiccup-free switch is because the PCIII + LCD setup involves transferring a map from the LCD memory to the PCIII memory (copying memory does take time). The Motty has both maps at its disposal at all times and simply switches which one it is using (no copying of the map is involved).

Sorry to bust your bubble but the pc3 can be used with the lcd display and you can load multiple maps to change on the fly, my friend has it on his zx14 and the map switching works on the fly just fine, I do not know how many maps it can hold but it is more than 2 for sure. Dynojet does not have that working just yet for the pcv.
No bubble to be busted. I only said that I wasn't sure if the maps could be switched on the fly because the particular product info I looked at didn't specify. Could you clarify if "on the fly" switching means "switch maps while cruising down the road without any hiccups"?

I was just searching for details about how the map switch is wired to the PCV to determine if the button I'm using could be used for the PCV. I found this in the PCV user guide:

Map switch - enable this if using a map switch. Do notselect if using Auto tune
Looks like I might be able to reinstate my claim of having the only self-mapping system with on-the-fly map switching. At least I can for now, until someone pesters DynoJet to find out if it's possible to switch between sets of AFR target maps, base fuel maps and trim maps on-the-fly. I'll put my money on strike3.

Map switch - enable this if using a map switch. Do notselect if using Auto tune
Looks like I might be able to reinstate my claim of having the only self-mapping system with on-the-fly map switching. At least I can for now, until someone pesters DynoJet to find out if it's possible to switch between sets of AFR target maps, base fuel maps and trim maps on-the-fly. I'll put my money on strike3.
I found some more info on the product page for the AutoTune that seems to indicate that maps cannot be switched:

The Auto Tune kit can be configured to run and correct at all times or by using the "map switch port" on the PCV.
The "map switch port" seems to be repurposed to optionally turn "AutoTune" on and off when AutoTune is enabled.

...I hope the weather is nice enough next weekend so that I can go ride a nice long loop twice (once with each map) and compare fuel consumption.
I suggest MI to FL to CA to WA to MI for a loop.
Hmmm... that might be just a bit too long to complete twice in an afternoon. I'll probably do something more like a 100 mile loop.

So who's gonna be first to get the technical details on how that toggle switch is wired up to determine if a custom switch can be wired up easily? I'd imagine that DynoJet's own switch wouldn't look nearly as cool as the button I found.
Any SPST/SPDT switch will do. Does not require a special switch.

Circuit-closed = Map-1, Circuit-open = Map-2, or something like that.

Your switch will work just fine and you can be cool with a PC-V!

:)

Any SPST/SPDT switch will do. Does not require a special switch.

Circuit-closed = Map-1, Circuit-open = Map-2, or something like that.
That's what I suspected, but the details of that could be important. Such as which pins/extension port are involved on the PCV, does it need to be a switch closing a circuit between two of the pins, or can it connect one of the pins to ground to serve the same purpose (this is required to make use of my button the way I wired it up)? I'm sure some more elaborate wiring involving a relay could be used to arrive at the same behavior I have if the switch must connect two pins from the PCV.

Your switch will work just fine and you can be cool with a PC-V! :)
If by "cool", you mean "without AutoTune" :p