Having my fuel injection cake and eating it too!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess the Motty is currently the only self-tuning system capable of switching maps on-the-fly. That makes my setup just that much more special :) .
According to the Dynojet people, the PC-V with Autotune supports a simple toggle switch input that allows you to switch between two pre-loaded maps on-the-fly.
I was just searching for details about how the map switch is wired to the PCV to determine if the button I'm using could be used for the PCV. I found this in the PCV user guide:

Map switch - enable this if using a map switch. Do notselect if using Auto tune
Looks like I might be able to reinstate my claim of having the only self-mapping system with on-the-fly map switching. At least I can for now, until someone pesters DynoJet to find out if it's possible to switch between sets of AFR target maps, base fuel maps and trim maps on-the-fly. I'll put my money on strike3.
From what my friend tells me on his bike you can switch maps on the fly,he always changes his while the bike is idling, but he does not recommend it since it is kind of like trying to talk on the phone at the same time that you are driving. You tend to run into things if you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what my friend tells me on his bike you can switch maps on the fly,he always changes his while the bike is idling, but he does not recommend it since it is kind of like trying to talk on the phone at the same time that you are driving. You tend to run into things if you know what I mean.
I assume this was intended to be a response to the PCIII + LCD map switching sub-discussion; not the PCV + AutoTune map switching sub-discussion.

That makes sense. It's not just a simple hardware switch you can reach for at any time to switch maps. You'd have to use the buttons on the LCD to navigate to whatever screen is used to select a map, navigate to the map you want and select it (all while looking at the screen).

It would sure be nice to be able to switch between maps. However has anyone been able to produce a map that gets great gas mileage on the slab yet? I have been trying to tweak my map to get good gas mileage and so far the the best I can do with my PCIII is around 35MPG on the HWY. This is doing an average speed of 75 MPH at around 4k RPM. I would really like to get around 40+ MPG but can't seem to obtain this at these speeds.

It would sure be nice to be able to switch between maps. However has anyone been able to produce a map that gets great gas mileage on the slab yet? I have been trying to tweak my map to get good gas mileage and so far the the best I can do with my PCIII is around 35MPG on the HWY. This is doing an average speed of 75 MPH at around 4k RPM. I would really like to get around 40+ MPG but can't seem to obtain this at these speeds.
Manually tweaking a PCIII map is dangerous because you don't know how much you are affecting the air/fuel ratio. You could get the same gas mileage at 75mph as a stock FJR (what does a stock FJR get at that speed?) by using a map that is tuned to run at 14.7:1 AFR around 4000 RPMs between about 10 and 20% throttle. Unfortunately, you end up using that same area of the map when accelerating normally in lower gears (most noticeably 1st and 2nd gear), which causes some hesitation/surging as you pass through the lean area of the map. The stock system addresses this problem by having its base map tuned a bit richer than 14.7:1 so acceleration is smoother, but then enters a closed-loop mode under steady throttle/speed, using the narrow-band O2 sensor to maintain 14.7:1 AFR. I believe PCIII maps are generally tuned to 13.8:1 at 20% throttle and lower for a compromise between fuel economy and smoothness (if you use a DynoJet-supplied map or get a standard custom map made for your bike).

Manually tweaking a PCIII map is dangerous because you don't know how much you are affecting the air/fuel ratio. You could get the same gas mileage at 75mph as a stock FJR (what does a stock FJR get at that speed?) by using a map that is tuned to run at 14.7:1 AFR around 4000 RPMs between about 10 and 20% throttle. Unfortunately, you end up using that same area of the map when accelerating normally in lower gears (most noticeably 1st and 2nd gear), which causes some hesitation/surging as you pass through the lean area of the map. The stock system addresses this problem by having its base map tuned a bit richer than 14.7:1 so acceleration is smoother, but then enters a closed-loop mode under steady throttle/speed, using the narrow-band O2 sensor to maintain 14.7:1 AFR. I believe PCIII maps are generally tuned to 13.8:1 at 20% throttle and lower for a compromise between fuel economy and smoothness (if you use a DynoJet-supplied map or get a standard custom map made for your bike).
I see so the 40+ MPG I used to get with the stock map was because it went into close loop mode when doing Hwy speeds. Now with the O2 sensors bypass I have no closed loop. :dribble:

You are right, I'm guessing by tweaking the #s, so I probably missed this but how are you reading the AFR again?

Last edited by a moderator: